shape
carat
color
clarity

Melissa Sweet Dora

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

overer

Rough_Rock
Hello out there! I am looking for a pre-owned Melissa Sweet Dora gown or a great deal on a new one. A size 6, 8, or 10 would work. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
1.gif

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
You may have already found this site, but if not, check it periodically to see if any Dora's come up:

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/buy/

There aren't any for sale now (looks like one just recently sold), but hopefully one will come up soon

Good luck!!

calidaisy

Shiny_Rock
try craigslist.org
someone from the sf bay area try to sell one a few weeks ago.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2008 2:00:36 PM
Author:overer
Hello out there! I am looking for a pre-owned Melissa Sweet Dora gown or a great deal on a new one. A size 6, 8, or 10 would work. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
1.gif

Just so you know, no one can sell things here, so the best we can do is help you find them elsewhere.

overer

Rough_Rock
Neatfreak- Thanks for the info. I''m new to this site so I didn''t know that rule.
1.gif

Havernell - I''ve been on the preownedweddingdresses website and had emailed the girl selling one but she ended up posting it as sold later that day.
7.gif

Calidaisy - Thanks for the info about the Craigslist posting. Her dress may be a little too small for me but I may contact her anyway.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen a couple of them come up on ebay, I would set up a search to email you if any Dora''s come up!

overer

Rough_Rock
So this is my story....I fell in love with the Melissa Sweet Lia over a year ago but it was out of my price range. I ended up ordering the Marisa copy of the dress in January and it just arrived last week. I tried it on, and despite it being too big and not altered, I just didn''t love it like I thought I would. I was so disappointed and let down. I''m supposed to be in love with this dress and I''m just not.
8.gif
So I had this link to a bride''s wedding slide show that I came across when I was searching MS dresses on ebay. I had saved it to send to my friend who is doing our photography. You may all have seen it.

http://www.nadiadphoto.com/markandmary/

Well after watching it over and over I fell in love with that dress. The wedding is absolutely gorgeous too. That''s when I started scouring the internet for this dress and how I stumbled upon all these Dora threads & pictures. I''ve been obsessively reading them in the last week. It''s been very helpful and just makes me realize how much I love that dress! I''m going to try it on later this week to make sure.

Jas12 - Thanks for the tip-off... Hope it doesn''t get you in trouble. I''ll definitely stay tuned in to ebay. You look so tiny in your pictures though, I''m not sure it would fit me....

KaraSue91 - You''ve inspired me to become a two dress bride! Not that I was trying to, but since you went out and bought the Dora, it makes me feel better about changing my mind and buying a second one. I don''t feel so alone now! Thanks! I did love your first dress though, it was beautiful, but I do love the Dora on you even more. :) Were you ever able to sell it? (your first one)

Thanks so much for your help girls! I''ll stay tuned...

calidaisy

Shiny_Rock
overer, as the dora was my second-love, i can totally relate to your story.
1.gif

well, i fell in love with the dora at the shop i went to look for my first love (one of romona keveza''s simple ballgowns in silk shantung).

unfortunately, couple of shops convinced me that the dora is not for me (maybe in hopes to sell other dresses?) and in the process i found my true love ... but i still wonder about the dora from time to time.

i also found this forum (along with all the other sites selling preowned dresses) while googling melissa sweet dora ... and learned that pricescope is more than just a site my fiance went to study diamonds.
26.gif

anyway, i hope you''ll be another dora bride.
28.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried on the Dora? It''s a lovely gown, but I know that it needs to be tried on.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
overer--if it helps, i am 5''4--i wore 2.5 inch heels (i think) and the size 8 dress was not altered in any way other than taking up the hem a bit.
at the time, i wore street clothing in approx size 4 or 6

have u tried on a Dora yet?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you find an affordable Dora!

I just wanted to second the vote to make sure you try it on before you purchase it. I fell head over heels in love with the Dora after I saw Jas12''s gorgeous wedding pics, but when I tried it on it just did not look good on me.

I purchased the Melissa Sweet Mila and could not be happier! Go to a POB or another salon that sells MS and try them all on. You can''t go wrong with MS, but some styles will suit you better than others.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
hi again,

Here's another site to check periodically to see if they have any Dora gowns come in for sale: http://www.sabrinaann.com/423333.html **Be sure to look at all three pages of wedding gowns!**

It's an upscale wedding gown consignment shop in PA. I tried on some gowns there (I ended up getting the Wearkstatt gown on page 2, but from another place selling it as a sample for even cheaper) and the owner was very sweet. Looks like they have a few different Melissa Sweet gowns now (Fern, Layla, etc...) but no Dora's at this time. However, since this shop is literally down the street from a Priscilla of Boston salon, there's a decent chance a local Philly bride who bought a Dora could put it up for sale in this shop.

Anyhow, hope you love the Dora as much on you as you love it in photos!

overer

Rough_Rock
Oh all you girls are so helpful! No, I haven''t tried on the Dora yet and I''m a little worried that it might not look as good on as how much I love it in the pictures. I definitely think it looks so much better on real brides than it does on the MS website. I should stop thinking about it until I actually see it on myself though!

I''m going on Thursday to a bridal shop to try it on. There''s only one store in Washington that sells MS gowns and they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays! I won''t be able to take pictures though because they aren''t allow at this salon. They have a size 8 sample gown on sale for $2500 which I think is a pretty good price for the Dora, but I''m not sure what condition it is in.

Havernell - Thanks for the consignment website, I''ll keep an eye on it. The Wearkstatt gown is very classy! Looks like you got a great deal on it if you got it cheaper than what''s listed on that site.

Jas12 -Your gown sounds like it may work very well... I''m 5''7" and I''m planning on wearing flats since I''m not much of a heels girl. I also am a 4-6 size. Not sure how much you''re wanting to recoup from what you originally paid....I''ll keep checking ebay.
2.gif

Thanks ladies!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi overer,
This Dora phenomenon is just amazing! I wonder if you can call up bridal salons that carry Dora and ask if they are selling their samples. When I went to try on Dora for the second time, the sales consultant offered the sample to me. It was too big for me and I figured it would cost just as much to get it altered as it would to buy new. Anyway, I told Karasue about that offer and she went in to the same salon to claim it. I''m very proud to say
5.gif
that I had a part (albeit a very small part) in a Pricescope "Happily Ever After" story.

Otherwise, when is your wedding? I do see Dora pop up now and then on preownedweddingdresses, ebay, some website called partypop. Just do google searches and you''ll find them. Be patient.

I agree that Dora needs to be tried on. If you haven''t already done so, make an appointment at a Priscilla of Boston store. They carry so many different looks and styles, and the consultants there are super nice. No matter what your body type is, you''ll find many dresses that flatter YOUR figure...if the one that also fits your personality happens to be Dora, then welcome to the club! However, even though Jas12 and Karasue look SO sososooooSOsoSOOOOOOOO gorgeous in their gowns, remember that everyone looks different in Dora. (I have to remind myself every so often!)

Let us know what you decide!!!! Take pictures!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
EEeep. Sorry overer! I didn''t see that you already posted. OKAY, so good luck! I hope you have fun and come back with a report. :)

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck finding your Dora! I agree, its an amazing dress...I''m still very far off from needing a dress, but so far its my ideal. I''m hoping that a bright spot to having to wait to be engaged is that maybe there will be "imposters" out there by the time its my turn! Anyway, I hope you love it as much on yourself as you have in pictures!

hthip

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/19/2008 10:09:33 PM
Author: overer

Well after watching it over and over I fell in love with that dress. The wedding is absolutely gorgeous too. That''s when I started scouring the internet for this dress and how I stumbled upon all these Dora threads & pictures. I''ve been obsessively reading them in the last week. It''s been very helpful and just makes me realize how much I love that dress! I''m going to try it on later this week to make sure.
Overer - THANK YOU for your post! While looking for dresses on the internet, I came across the same ebay listing and wished I had saved the photos the seller posted now that I know Dora is "the dress." When I choose a photographer he/she''ll have a better idea of what I have in mind. Now, I still have to find the Dora!

I was close to bidding on the dress when it was on ebay, but didn''t because I hadn''t tried it on yet. After trying on all the styles I picked out from bridal magazines, Dora was the only one that met all my criteria. My only concern was how alterations would change the look of the dress since I can only afford a sample or preowned. I''m 5''3", so I thought alterations to the seam at the bust would make the dress more of an a-shape and alterations to the hem would take away the beautiful flounce of the dress. After reading threads from Jas12 and Crown Jewel here, I''m assured that the dress can still retains it''s shape with alterations, so now I''m scouring for a preowned Dora like Overer was.

I check craigslist, e-bay, and preownedweddingdresses daily. The one still available on sf craigslist is out of my price range. I was offered a sample, but it was only at a small discount. The one on preownedweddingdresses.com would have been perfect in size, but of course it has been sold.

Do you ladies have any other suggestions?

KaraSue91 - When you bought your dress from Wedding Atelier were they having a sample sale or was it just the Dora sample they were discounting? I''m asking to see how early you would have to schedule an appointment for the Dora to still be around during a sample sale. BTW - I love both your dresses, but I felt so happy for you when I read the thread that you bought the Dora. Not because I''m biased, but because you stopped second guessing on your dress and you looked truly happy in the photo with the Dora on. You also look gorgeous in the gown too.

Sorry this was long, but thank you for your time and any help will be very appreciated!

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 5:28:04 AM
Author: hthip

Date: 5/19/2008 10:09:33 PM
Author: overer

Overer - THANK YOU for your post! While looking for dresses on the internet, I came across the same ebay listing and wished I had saved the photos the seller posted now that I know Dora is ''the dress.'' When I choose a photographer he/she''ll have a better idea of what I have in mind. Now, I still have to find the Dora!

I was close to bidding on the dress when it was on ebay, but didn''t because I hadn''t tried it on yet. After trying on all the styles I picked out from bridal magazines, Dora was the only one that met all my criteria. My only concern was how alterations would change the look of the dress since I can only afford a sample or preowned. I''m 5''3'', so I thought alterations to the seam at the bust would make the dress more of an a-shape and alterations to the hem would take away the beautiful flounce of the dress. After reading threads from Jas12 and Crown Jewel here, I''m assured that the dress can still retains it''s shape with alterations, so now I''m scouring for a preowned Dora like Overer was.

I check craigslist, e-bay, and preownedweddingdresses daily. The one still available on sf craigslist is out of my price range. I was offered a sample, but it was only at a small discount. The one on preownedweddingdresses.com would have been perfect in size, but of course it has been sold.

Do you ladies have any other suggestions?

KaraSue91 - When you bought your dress from Wedding Atelier were they having a sample sale or was it just the Dora sample they were discounting? I''m asking to see how early you would have to schedule an appointment for the Dora to still be around during a sample sale. BTW - I love both your dresses, but I felt so happy for you when I read the thread that you bought the Dora. Not because I''m biased, but because you stopped second guessing on your dress and you looked truly happy in the photo with the Dora on. You also look gorgeous in the gown too.

Sorry this was long, but thank you for your time and any help will be very appreciated!
Hi Hthip!! It''s so funny to hear about other Dora stalkers too!!! I also saw that girl on Ebay from the pictures and I was SOOO close to bidding on it, but the dress would have been way too short for me, and she was asking pretty high price for it too. There was another one on Ebay shortly after that too, and again too short.

When I got my dress at WA, they weren''t having a sample sale, Crown had been in and they offered the sample to her (which is a little ridiculous seeing as how she was absolutely swimming in it) and she let me know. I had already been in and worked with Carrie the owner, so she knew how much I loved that dress and when I called her she gave in and let me buy it. It wasn''t in the greatest shape, but taking a couple inches off the hem and replacing the panel at the top that was ripped has done wonders. I bought it in December, so by now I would think that her sample might be a little old and she might be ready to sell again, but that is totally just a guess.

When is your wedding? Do you have time to keep watching Ebay? One thing I tried is I watched Ebay for any Melissa Sweet dress, and when I saw that one seller had a lot of Melissa Sweet, I figured they are probably a bridal salon and I contacted them directly to see if they had any Doras they wanted to sell. I found one seller who owns a bridal shop in California and who offered me to buy the dress brand new for $2800. At this point, I wish I had just done it and not bought the first dress (and then I wouldn''t have had doubts and bought the second one - both dresses combined have obvously cost more than the new one for $2800!!!). At that point I decided $2800 was still too much to pay, but now I wish I had just gone for it. The salon was an authorized seller on the Melissa Sweet website, so I felt pretty comfortable ordering from him, and I did a google search on his name to make sure he was an owner of the salon.

Hope that helps!!!

hthip

Rough_Rock
KaraSue91 - Dora stalker, I really have become one.
23.gif
I thought it was sweet how PS and Crown Jewel helped you find your Dora.

My wedding is next spring. I still have some time to hopefully find the dress within my budget. $2800 for a new Dora is a REALLY good deal! I have found 2 Dora samples above that price. My FI and I were both in the real estate industry and he proposed when the market started to decline. I think a new Dora is worth the $$$$, but it is no longer an option for me since we are paying for our own wedding also. Thanks for sharing your findings with me. I think I even know which e-bay seller you are referring to. Please let me know if you come across anything else that might help. I''ve added the information below too.

My measurements are 33-28-36, 5''3" in height, and weigh between 116-120lbs, so I can fit a 6 or 8 in case anyone comes across a preowned Dora.
2.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 9:23:46 PM
Author: hthip
KaraSue91 - Dora stalker, I really have become one.
23.gif
I thought it was sweet how PS and Crown Jewel helped you find your Dora.

My wedding is next spring. I still have some time to hopefully find the dress within my budget. $2800 for a new Dora is a REALLY good deal! I have found 2 Dora samples above that price. My FI and I were both in the real estate industry and he proposed when the market started to decline. I think a new Dora is worth the $$$$, but it is no longer an option for me since we are paying for our own wedding also. Thanks for sharing your findings with me. I think I even know which e-bay seller you are referring to. Please let me know if you come across anything else that might help. I''ve added the information below too.

My measurements are 33-28-36, 5''3'' in height, and weigh between 116-120lbs, so I can fit a 6 or 8 in case anyone comes across a preowned Dora.
2.gif
16.gif

I will be sure to keep my eyes and ears open for you hthip.

overer

Rough_Rock
hthip- Hello! I''m so glad you asked about the Dora. I tried on dresses this last weekend after getting my original dress in the mail and not loving it as much as I thought I would. I was in love with the Dora and definitely obsessively reading the posts on PS about it and looking at pictures. I tried Dora on and another MS dress, Fern, which I actually ended up getting. It was a very hard decision between Dora and Fern but Fern was a bit more my style and I''m very happy with my decision. I live in Washington and the bridal store I went to is having a big sample sale until mid June or so. The Dora was a size 8 and the owner quoted the sample dress at $2500 which was the best price I''ve seen. I even got on the Melissa Sweet website and started calling Bridal stores in other states to see if they had a sample for sale before I went in last weekend. There was a place in Califormia that had one for sale for $3100. I didn''t go through all the states though. Anyway, definitely try on Dora and see if you love it as much as in the pictures. I can give you the information for the Bridal store in Washington if you''d like to call and purchase it from there. They also said they''d do a complimentary cleaning of the dress. Let me know if you have any other questions!

karasue91- Were you ever able to sell your first dress you bought?

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
Nope!! Still sitting in my closet
7.gif
I had it on ebay for over a month, not sure what I''m going to do with it.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Keep it. You look so awesome in it and it''s already been altered to perfection right? Does it have a train? Keep it for some fancy party. You never know when someone is going to invite you to a black tie gala. Accessorize with a long, bold necklace, bright colored shoes. It''s such a great dress on you!

FI and I had to go to a business school Black and White gala, and it was "black tie optional" which apparently means long gown or cocktail dress. And it was requested that we wear black and white. I had the hardest time finding a white dress. I didn''t want to wear black because I figured that''s what everyone else would wear.

hthip

Rough_Rock
Overer - I did read that you bought the Fern
36.gif
I wouldn''t have been comforable posting on this board (you created) if you were still in search of the Dora gown. I think the Fern is beautiful too. I just love all Melissa Sweet designs! Did you take pictures? Thanks for all the information on the samples you found. $2500 IS the lowest quote for a sample but I still can''t afford that. I probably shouldn''t have my heart set on the Dora since it''s way beyond my budget.

KaraSue91 - Since the dress has been altered to your specs you should wear it like Crown Jewel says before trying to sell it again. You wouldn''t possibly take a loss for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results