shape
carat
color
clarity

Mela Lu Wedding in Italy, Me Too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clarygrace

Shiny_Rock
Mela Lu:

I saw your post for ZoeBartlett and wanted to catch up with you regarding your wedding!

We are marrying in Tuscany this year as well, on Sep 1 at the Castello di Meleto in Gaiole in Chianti
www.castellomeleto.it

We have about 35 family/friends from the US coming and another 30 or so Italian family members joining us for a weekend of celebration in the Chianti hills...

Are you a semi-native Italian and do you speak the language?
I lived there for 10 years and went to school/University there and return at least twice a year to visit. Our goal is to relocate to Italy someday in the next ten or so years...I feel much more at home on the Continent...

Ciao
35.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
EEK!
HI Clarygrace! Usually I would''ve been on PS much earlier, but alas, work got in the way!

WOW! your villa is GORGEOUS! So oppulent! Your photos are going to be out of this world!!

Where to start - I am Italian (Canadian), both of my parents were born in Northern Italy. My FI is Croatian, and both of us still have living relatives there. I''ve travelled numerous times to Europe, and my FI did his MBA in Spain/England/Chile, but he loves Italy as much as I do.

I speak (but so rusty now!!!) and FI wants to learn Italian ~ ao he''ll be 4-lingual ~ and we''re taking lessons here in Canada to get up to snuff!

Our goal is the same. We both prefer the European lifestyle, and our goal is to relocate in the next 5 - 10yrs. He''ll try to work there, while I get to fulfill my dream of being a stay-at-home Mom! :) Dreams can come true, non?

Mela lu is actually my doggie''s name! She''s 1 year old now, and taller than these pics: (whoa, so big, sorry!)

Let''s exchange notes!! I''ll start another reply, this one is too big.....BRB

Heavenlypose.jpg

NoMela.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
TELL ME EVERYTHING!!!

Dress?
Caterer?
Catholic?
Flowers?
Are you giving bomboniere? if so, what?

Clarygrace

Shiny_Rock
Mela Lu:
What a beautiful puppy!

It sounds like we live parallel lives...we will retire to Tuscany in 5 to 10 years. My FI is learning Italian as well, so are the children (he has twins!) and they love all things Italian. Essere italiani e' una cosa speciale!

My family is originally from the South of Italy and I lived there for 10 yrs and went to the Univ. of Naples, earning a degree in Political Science.

Thank you for the compliments on our wedding site, it's just a wonderful place...

My dress is being made by a family friend in Greenwich CT (old Italian tailor) who has been making wedding gowns for 35 years. It will be a princess A-Line with a sweetheart neckline and made of italian silk with very fine lace, and studded with swavorski crystals.

Ceremony will be a morning civil ceremony (we are both divorced) in the castle's Map Room, followed by a catered luncheon for about 20 family & friends. I'll wear a dupioni silk suit in a sky blue color, at least that's what I'm planning.

In the late afternoon we will have a ring blessing ceremony in the Castle Garden followed by a cocktail hour, also in the garden.

Our caterers are full service, so they are handling a lot of details for us, including flowers, valet service, music etc. The flowers will be mostly white roses, some very pale pink ones and lavender that is being flown in from France.
Dinner for about 60 guests will be served in the Castle's main dining hall and it will be a traditional tuscan dinner. The First course is a misto of pasta and a risotto, then we'll have Chianina Roast Beef with grilled veggies paired with Chianti and Super Tuscan wines. The last course will be a variety of Tuscan cheeses served with acacia honey, plum compote and paired with Brunello Di Montalcino (king of Wines!). Traditional italian Millefoglie Wedding cake will end the main meal.
We'll then adjourn to the garden for dancing, fresh fruit, chocolates and cookies, vin santo con biscotti, cordials/cognac and cigars!

Le bomboniere: we've decided to give 2 or 3 tuscan handmade soaps wrapped in white embroidered towels along with the confetti wrapped in fazzoletti tradizionali (white linen).

That's my news, tell me more about your plans!
Ciao!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Cara Clarygrace,

I am dying, giggling over our similarities!! My FI is a twin! (his sister is over-due with her 3rd, so between both of our families, there will be plenty of kids/babies at the wedding, not to mention the freakish amount of twins running through both of our families ~ scary for me!!)

Your plans sound simply divine. A whole day full of visual and savory pleasures! I have so many questions for you!!
1. May I ask how you found your caterer? And how much more (on average, per head perhaps) a full-service cater is versus a food-only one?
2. Your bomboniere: sound perfect! Did you source this yourself...? What is the price of those per head? I need to know whether to ‘order’ this ahead (my preference) or just buy them when I arrive (my mom’s preference). Your presentation sounds great.
3. Who is decorating for you? (Ceremony/Reception) what are you planning for this other than flowers?
4. Did you use a wedding service? Or are you organizing all this on your own?

Your plans, your outfits!!! And your menu’s are so well thought out. I’m not quite there yet *wink* but I know that the wines are essential. My BIL (to be) is a huge collector, and I’m putting him in charge of wine.

Where did you and FI meet? I love that he is interested in adopting the culture and language of Italy ~ it truly is a beautiful thing!

Ciao (for now) - but I would love to see some pics of your ideas. I am currently gathering ideas for decor and flowers...

Mela

Clarygrace

Shiny_Rock
Ciao Mela:

Our caterer was recommended by the Castle management, they do a lot of work with them and are very good. The catering cost is about Euro 120 to Euro 130 per person, however, we are endeavoring to supply some of the wine. I work for an Italian American organization and we have contacts in Italy to provide wines, especially the Brunello. We''ll also bring some Fiano di Avellino and Greco di Tufo wines (both whites) from the South where I lived.

The bomboniere idea came from the fact that there is a wonderful soap shop in San Gimignano, called SoapOpera, they make the best homemade soaps from fruits, veggies and other natural products, so we thought they would be perfect gifts. The linens will come from the South, my sister in law lives in Italy and she is taking care of those for me. They''ll be assembled by the ladies in the family during the days before the wedding.

The caterers will do all the decorating, both inside and out. We don''t really need much, the setting is spectacular on it''s own, so just fresh flowers will do.

No wedding planner for us, doing it all on my own with help from friends/family and the caterers. The castle management has been very helpful in recommending vendors, and sofar we have not gone wrong on any choices. They have also given us a discount on taking up about 15 rooms for the long weekend. Being able to travel there and speak the language helps a lot, I am treated as a native and not an American marrying in Italy. Also, working with the Italian Embassy on our paperwork for the civil ceremony. I am lucky to work for a wonderful organization that has ties to the Embassy, and it helps when trying to work with the local officials.

I''ll get some photo''s up soon, a lot of what I have is from mags and my dress is being made and sofar I really can''t find anything that comes close to it.

Ciao per adesso!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
WOW! you are a lucky girl indeed!

It sounds as though all the major things are decided, and that you can now start enjoy the countdown! YEY!

As for the paperwork, how many days do in advance of the ceremony do you (we) have to go to the consular office to file your civil paperwork. Even though our ceremony is Catholic, we still have to do the civil paperwork too. What do you recommend?

~pics pics pics~

Especially flowers ;-)

~Mela

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to jump in but OMG THAT IS THE CUTEST PUPPY EVER
30.gif
30.gif
What a doll awww
4.gif

Sorry just couldnt help myself
12.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
SO funny! Because today is her FIRST BIRTHDAY!!

Happy Birthday Mela lu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MommyMela.jpg

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Awww happy birthday to mela lu!!! :)
emcake.gif
emdog.gif
emgift.gif

She just looks like a sweet fluff ball baby oh I miss having dogs so much
face16.gif

This is going to sound like crazy dog lady talk but I swear she looks like she knows its her birthday.
4.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
YUP!

We''ll have Woofles and Pupaccino''s tonight to celebrate
emwink.gif

THAT is crazy dog-lady talk for you!!!

Clarygrace

Shiny_Rock
Mela:
Paperwork for the Consular Office should be filed ahead of time. I would suggest you contact the Italian Counsel office in your area to make sure all necessary forms and documents are prepared ahead of time.

In Italy, you will need to file with the local authorities from 5 to 7 days before the wedding. You'll need to go to the Prefettura to file that paperwork. We'll be going to the Florence Prefettura.
The local authority (Ufficiale di Stato Civile or Sindaco for us) for you a priest, celebrating the service will require the documents prepared by the courthouse and will perform the ceremony.

Another option is to marry in a civil ceremony in your own country and just have the religious ceremony in Italy.
We've decided not to do this because we want to live in Italy in the future and I'm working on dual citizenship, and believe marrying in Italy will actually benefit us in the future. You may have the same reasons as we do, but the option is available to make things simpler.

Hope this helps.

And Happy Birthday Mela Lu! She is the cutest little thing! My kitty Cleo says Happy B'Day too!
Clarygrace
35.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 7:25:08 AM
Author: Clarygrace
Mela:
Paperwork for the Consular Office should be filed ahead of time. I would suggest you contact the Italian Counsel office in your area to make sure all necessary forms and documents are prepared ahead of time.

In Italy, you will need to file with the local authorities from 5 to 7 days before the wedding. You'll need to go to the Prefettura to file that paperwork. We'll be going to the Florence Prefettura.
The local authority (Ufficiale di Stato Civile or Sindaco for us) for you a priest, celebrating the service will require the documents prepared by the courthouse and will perform the ceremony.

Another option is to marry in a civil ceremony in your own country and just have the religious ceremony in Italy.
We've decided not to do this because we want to live in Italy in the future and I'm working on dual citizenship, and believe marrying in Italy will actually benefit us in the future. You may have the same reasons as we do, but the option is available to make things simpler.

Hope this helps.

And Happy Birthday Mela Lu! She is the cutest little thing! My kitty Cleo says Happy B'Day too!

Clarygrace
35.gif
Hiya!

Regarding the paperwork: we can accomplish all of the paperwork here in Canada prior to going, but I am worried that if we go to the Prefettura in Firenze on monday, then the documents won't be ready by that Thurs (when our ceremony is to take place). Thoughts?

Mela

Clarygrace

Shiny_Rock
Ciao Mela:

We were told the same thing, a week time is sufficient to go to the Prefettura to file and have it all ready for the ceremony. I will confirm with the Embassy once again to make sure.

How far in advance are you traveling for your wedding?

Ciao for now e tante belle cose!

Clarygrace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results