shape
carat
color
clarity

Meet my engagement pear

lusting

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am a lurker rather than a poster but have learned so much from you all, and have so enjoyed lusting after your beauties from afar :Up_to_something: (hence the username :bigsmile: ), so I thought I would share my engagement ring. The ring was a custom piece by a jeweller in Melbourne, Australia (where I live). The setting is platinum and completely hand-forged. After selecting the diamond I gave some guidelines to what I wanted in the setting, ie. cathedral setting, band as thin as possible without compromising on durability too much, and 3-prongs (with underbezel) which were also as small as possible while still being safe, and overall a simple, elegant and delicate design. Other than that I let the jeweller interpret that as he would and do what he thought would best showcase the diamond. From then I didn't see the ring until the proposal, and for us this was the perfect compromise. The diamond looked even better set than it did loose, and overall the ring turned out better than I had imagined it. To give you some perspective, I can't remember exactly what my finger size is but it is around 4 (small I know, and yes I know how lucky I am!).

Specs (GIA certified):
Pear brilliant
0.5 carat
Meaurements: 6.73 x 4.46 x 2.91 mm (this gave it a length to width ratio of 1.5:1, which was exactly the proportions I was after)
D colour
SI 1 (crystal (white), completely eye-clean)
Very good polish and symmetry
No fluorescence

Girdle: Medium-very thick (faceted)
Table: 62%
Depth: 65.2%
Culet: none

Pics! Sorry I will probably go a bit overboard here, I just have so many pretty photos of it! What can I say, I'm in love....

handshot_1_cropped.jpg

handshot_2_cropped.jpg

closer_handshot_2_cropped.jpg

closer_handshot_cropped.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your beautiful pear!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's gorgeous! Thanks for coming out of lurkdom to share it with us!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty,pretty,pretty! I love pears!
Question, so the bezel is functional as it holds the stone? I've never seen a 3 prong setting and it would scare,me;-) I have a pear and it has 6 tiny prongs .
My old settings had the cap at the point kind and 3 other prongs. I like your three prongs, it seems you then have more diamond showing!!!!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
:sun: ooooooh, shiny!

Lovely pear and so bright! Love the way it looks in the setting. Best wishes

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I love a pear solitaire!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a beauty!!! I love the simplicity of it - just perfect for your hand!!! Love the gallery - I'm a sucker for prongs and a trellis/"X" underneath!

Very nice- congratulations and thanks for sharing :bigsmile:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, very very pretty!! Beautiful stone and I love the setting!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!! :appl:

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lovely!

TXJewel

Rough_Rock
I like the design of your setting. Very pretty ring. Congratulations on your engagement.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond and ring! :love:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
That's a beauty! I love a well cut pear. :love: :love: :love:

lusting

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! It really is a bright and lively stone and not only does it suit my hand, it really suits my personality too. I was not originally after a D colour, but pears that small were hard to find and this one had all the other qualities I was looking for. Also, apparently the price for the increase in colour is quite small at that carat size (and clarity). Sure I could have searched for longer and found a G that was a tad bigger, but carat wasn't king to me beyond 0.5 carat, that was exactly what I wanted, and things like cut and shape (and cost!) were critical to me. It is a nice added bonus though :)

So many people have commented that they love the pear shape, it's really interesting that they are so uncommon these days.

Elisateach|1346497104|3260811 said:
Question, so the bezel is functional as it holds the stone? I've never seen a 3 prong setting and it would scare,me;-) I have a pear and it has 6 tiny prongs .
My old settings had the cap at the point kind and 3 other prongs. I like your three prongs, it seems you then have more diamond showing!!!!

Yes I suppose functional in that it holds the diamond, and supports the 3 prongs so overall the setting is much sturdier. This in combination with the extra support from the split band of the cathedral setting makes the setting pretty safe overall I believe. I don't know that they would have made the same design in white gold, but there was also the added strength of it being platinum.

It was really important to me to not have the shape of the pear interrupted by prongs, so I was extremely happy that they came up with the 3-prong design that they considered safe. Originally they told me they would use a V-tip prong at the tip but the jeweller must have thought it wasn't necessary, and I think I prefer it this way anyway.

imasugarjunkie

Rough_Rock
I love it! I am such a huge pear fan and they are still so rare out in the world of princess cuts and rounds!!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
That pear is quite magnificent. I love pear shaped diamonds.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pear you have there!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like your diamond and especially the setting. Congrats!

gammygam

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful pear!! I also have a D colored pear. Nothing beats that icey white look especially in a pear :love:

laurekeet

Rough_Rock
Where is your ring from! I love the 3 prong setting! GORGEOUS!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gammygam|1346792886|3262312 said:
What a beautiful pear!! I also have a D colored pear. Nothing beats that icey white look especially in a pear :love:

+1!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yowza! I love that the simplicity of the setting lets the stone sing! Does that stone have an off switch? :lol:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pear & I love your setting! Very elegant :love:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your pear is absolutely stunning, and the setting shows it off beautifully! Congratulations!

lusting

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone :) I'm glad you all agree about the setting, that was what I wanted for it to just set off the diamond beautifully and make it sing. I still can't get over how good a job they did with the 3 prongs, I love love love the uninterrupted shape of the pear.

It was made by a jeweller in Melbourne called Michael Wilson Diamond Jewellers. I would thoroughly recommend them - the service was great, the price was very fair, and they have a fantastic eye for design. In addition to diamonds (mostly engagement/wedding rings) they do a lot of very unique and artistic pieces, more like art than jewellery.

PS. My FH got a big kick out of the approval of my fellow pricescopers :) gotta love him.....

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement, beautiful ring :wavey:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the setting! Thanks for the reply.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results