shape
carat
color
clarity

medical alert bracelets

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any experience with those personal medical alert systems (like the ones advertised on TV)? I have a family member who has had some tough health issues lately and is worried about being left alone in case anything happens again. I thought maybe something like this system would give her some piece of mind, but upon Googling, realized there are about a zillion types and I can't tell which are quality systems and which aren't. Any PSers have any experience/advice with these things? TIA!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have an alert system, but I always wear an alert bracelet. Even that just gives me piece of mind knowing that in case I'm ever receiving medical attention while unconscious they will be aware of my allergies.

If anything, a bracelet (or necklace) is a good place to start while you research the alert systems.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother has one, but I have no idea what company it is. It's a black bracelet (think nylon dog collar material) with a white sort of square thing on top. There must be some sort of button inside the cover of the white square thing. Sorry, I am not much help!

My dad carries a medic alert necklace in his pocket with his metal change. Hopefully someone would think to check his pockets before treating him. He refuses to wear it or a bracelet because I think he's embarrassed by it.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'm thinking of the kind with the button that alerts help, rather than the simple bracelet with medical information printed on it (not sure the proper terminology -- but like the "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercials). I'm just trying to figure out which ones are reputable companies, etc. I wish we had a doctor in the family that I could consult!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.lifelinesys.com/content/home

I think this is the system my grandmother has, because that is what her bracelet looks like. She had a pacemaker installed in 2008 and insists on living in her house, by herself. She has two stories, lots of stairs, 5 bedrooms, 3 baths and she's 86. :nono: Truthfully I wouldn't move into assisted living if I had as lovely a home, either.

This one definitely works because she's used it several times. She has fallen a couple of times without serious consequences, but just knowing that the response is there and pretty quick gives her sons peace of mind.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Monarch! I will look into the Philips Lifeline system -- it seems legit from the little I have been able to find online, and it's always helpful to get personal reviews, too. Interesting -- my family member also has a pacemaker and I think this system will give her piece of mind that she can summon help even if she collapses again. Thanks again for the recommendation.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I work for the govt. where I authorize these systems through Long Term Care Medicaid. Phillips Lifeline is an agency I work with frequently. I know Phillips is a nationwide company. I have a list of providers that supply emergency medical equipment, but it's my area specific. I would look in the yellowpages under "emergency medical equipment" or "durable medical equipment". I'd also try and contact Lifeline to determine how much it would be to privately pay. Also, you need a landline in order for the device to work. Just an FYI, as I've run into many clients who don't have a landline.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
lovinsparkles said:
Thank you, Monarch! I will look into the Philips Lifeline system -- it seems legit from the little I have been able to find online, and it's always helpful to get personal reviews, too. Interesting -- my family member also has a pacemaker and I think this system will give her piece of mind that she can summon help even if she collapses again. Thanks again for the recommendation.
.. I have a pacemaker and either wear my medical alert bracelet or dog tag with my name, doctor's phone #, DH phone# and pacemaker on the id.

The pacemaker will guarantee that her heart will beat.But if she also has other heart issues that you and she worry about or is on any medication that makes her dizzy then the medical alert system would be a good idea.

But before you purchase the system, check with the pacemaker manufacturer to make sure that the system will not interfere with the pacemaker. (certain radiofrequencies can interfere with a pacemaker)

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
www.medicalert.org is the official site for Medic Alert jewelry. I wear a necklace since I'm taking blood thinners long term and my personal medical info is stored in their computer system, which a medic can access by calling the 800 number engraved on the pendant. I don't know anything about the "I've fallen and I can't get up" systems though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results