shape
carat
color
clarity

Meaningful variables when comparing stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

skillz32

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a stone right now and have 2 pretty good options in front of me. I would love some help from you guys trying to make sure I'm doing an apples-to-apples comparison.

BOTH stones have the SAME exact depth, table, girdle, culet, polish, symetry, color, and fluorescence (basically, they're exactly the same on all the GIA cert listed dimensions). They're also both H&A. The only difference is that one is a VS1 while the other is a VS2. However, surprisingly, the VS1 is actually cheaper than the VS2 by almost $1000.

Therefore, I'm wondering if there are any diamond variables or criteria that I'm not aware of that could account for this **strange** difference in price? Or is one place just charging a higher margin than the other?

thanks all.

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Would have to see the certs . Are they both from the same seller?
Something is not right Did you actually call to see that the VS1 is still available?
George
GLE Gem Imports

skillz32

Rough_Rock
Hi Lacina,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The 2 stones are from different sellers. I've seen the GIA certs on both of them and they appear to be legit (although, to be honest, I'm not sure what a fake cert might look like).

The VS1 is still available.

My only thought was that perhaps the more expense VS2 stone was a higher "grade" of H&A than the other. Although, would this account for $1000 difference in price?

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Cut can make all the difference in price

George
GLE Gem imports

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The differences in prices can mean just someone wanting more mark up or it can indicate a difference in the stone's value.

Why does a stone of lower grading cost more.. Generally speaking, diamond cutters, dealers and brokers know the monetary value of their diamonds VERY WELL. So if a stone is priced lower - there's probably a reason it is.

No one is standing there throwing away $ 1000.00 that I've met in the diamond biz.... the question is will you be told of the reason its less or should you get an expert to check it and find out for you.

In some cases, you truly might be considering a better stone at a cheaper price.... but if there aren't other stones listed at comparable prices, that would light a red light for me to find out why such a great difference exists.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results