shape
carat
color
clarity

Maui for Harleigh and others

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I just returned from spending two wonderful weeks on Maui with another couple and I''ve been asked to share some of our experiences with those who have upcoming weddings and/or honeymoons over there. This was our sixth trip to Hawaii and our second time to stay on Maui. It has changed a lot since our first visit, but it is still fantastic with so many great things to do and see.

We played a lot of golf this trip, but we also enjoyed many other activities on the island. The road to Hana is still an incredible drive and a must see in my opinion if you haven''t done it. Take a picnic lunch to enjoy on a black sand beach and wear your swimsuit to take advantage of the waterfalls and pools along the way. Also don''t miss the Haleakala National Park. The crater is amazing even during the day, but it is supposed to be even more incredible for those willing to make it up there to see the sun rise. If you are there during whale season, which lasts through April, be sure to take a whale watching tour. There are a record number of humpback whales this year. You can take the ferry over to Lanai for the day to enjoy a quiet and beautiful beach with terrific snorkeling and two world class golf courses.

There are so many fabulous restaurants! Our favorite "splurges" were Nick''s Fishmarket at the Fairmount Kea Lani Resort, Roy''s in either Kahana or Kihei, and the Five Palms in Kihei. For a casual cheap meal where you order at the counter check out the Paia Fish Market for lunch and the Kihei Cafe for breakfast.

There are some fantastic stores to be found at the Shops at Wailea if you need a jewelry fix or some nice clothes or art.

Drink many many Lava Flows!!!

Now how about a few pictures for inspiration. The first one was taken on a drive on the north part of the island past Kapalua.

kapaluadrive.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Sunset from Sugar Beach in Kihei. There were so many beautiful sunsets!

kiheisunset.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Dramatic view of one of the greens on the Challenge at Manele Bay golf course on Lanai. This is where Bill Gates was married.

lanaigolfgreen.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
A group of male humpback whales chasing after a female off the coast of Maui.

whalesonmaui.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
The lovely Wailea Emerald golf course.

waileaemerald.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Beach in front of the Four Seasons Resort Wailea.

waileabeachview.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
And lastly because this IS pricescope after all, here is a little memento from my trip. It is the Roberto Coin large palm tree pendant in 18 kt. white gold with .54 carats of nicely sparkly diamonds. I''ve wanted one of these ever since MC and Butterfly posted theirs and I love it! The chain can be adjusted to either 16 or 18 inches.

robertocoinlargepalm.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Oops sorry, just one more I promise. I forgot to include a shot of the Haleakala crater.

hauleakalacrater.jpg

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Sundial, thank you, thank you! Your information is great, and your pictures make me want to be there RIGHT now!
30.gif

Too funny...I had thought about trying to convince my FI that I just HAD to have one of those palm tree necklaces as a momento from our wedding/honeymoon as we are using a palm tree in some of our wedding stuff, but I''m just not sure I can convince him that it''s truly worth the expense! Maybe I will save some of my tax return money and put it towards that! (If you don''t mind sharing, could you tell me where you got it and *about* how much it cost? If not, I completely understand!)

I am staying and getting married at the Ka''anapali Beach Club Vacation Resort (I guess it is the big pink hotel that used to be the Embassy Suites?) in Lahaina and then for our second week we will be staying a bit closer to Wailea in Ma''alaea...I haven''t heard much about that area, but I am looking forward to being a little further south on the island for our second week. If you have any thoughts on these two areas, they would be much appreciated, also!

Thanks again for sharing, and if you think of anything else, please do pass it along!
36.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 9:50:59 PM
Author: Harleigh
Oh, Sundial, thank you, thank you! Your information is great, and your pictures make me want to be there RIGHT now!
30.gif

Too funny...I had thought about trying to convince my FI that I just HAD to have one of those palm tree necklaces as a momento from our wedding/honeymoon as we are using a palm tree in some of our wedding stuff, but I''m just not sure I can convince him that it''s truly worth the expense! Maybe I will save some of my tax return money and put it towards that! (If you don''t mind sharing, could you tell me where you got it and *about* how much it cost? If not, I completely understand!)

I am staying and getting married at the Ka''anapali Beach Club Vacation Resort (I guess it is the big pink hotel that used to be the Embassy Suites?) in Lahaina and then for our second week we will be staying a bit closer to Wailea in Ma''alaea...I haven''t heard much about that area, but I am looking forward to being a little further south on the island for our second week. If you have any thoughts on these two areas, they would be much appreciated, also!

Thanks again for sharing, and if you think of anything else, please do pass it along!
36.gif
Great minds think alike! We bought the pendant at Barton & Leeds jewelry store. There is one at Whaler''s Village, but we got it at the one located in the Shops at Wailea. I think we paid about $1300 for the large one, but there is a smaller version that is around $500 I believe. Tiffany''s had a nice version in platinum, but it was $2700 with a smaller carat weight! You can also find another style palm tree pendant in various price ranges at the Hawaiian jeweler Na Hoku.

We stayed in Kihei, but our friends spent the first part of their trip in a condo at Ma''alaea Bay and the second part in a timeshare at The Ka''anapali Beach Club! Ma''alaea Bay is a quiet area with most of the condos right next to the water with lovely views. They could watch the whales from their balcony! The Beach Club was quite nice and also located right on the water with fantastic views. I don''t think you will be disappointed.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Oh and I don''t have a picture of the Beach Club Resort itself, but here is one of Ka''anapali Beach for you.

kaanapalibeachevening.jpg

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Oh Sundial, thanks for those pics. They bring back so many memories.
We''ve been 3 times and I can never get enough of Maui.
Nick''s is one of my favorite restaurants. Those crab cakes!
We had an early reservation there once and were fortunate enough
to be there when the sun was setting. There was a guy who ran around
blowing a conch and lighting torches. Sounds corny, but memorable.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Sundial! I will definitely keep the $500 and under versions in mind. I''m sure I''ll be able to find something to treat myself with! I can''t wait...your pictures are just amazing!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Sundial, you just took me back to my last trip to Hawaii, vividly. Thank you! Maui certainly is an amazing island. DH keeps telling me we''re moving, but he''d never get any work done as he''d always be lounging lazily at the beach, living on Aloha time, so it wouldn''t be a wise choice for us!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 9:35:45 PM
Author: Sundial
A group of male humpback whales chasing after a female off the coast of Maui.
I love all your pictures; I am soooo glad you showed off your awesome shots (I was hoping you would post them)!!!! The whales are my favorite
30.gif
; how amazing is that?!?! I haven't been to Maui in awhile; I will need to go back some time since it has been awhile for me! Gosh, if you are ever in ABQ we need to meet for lunch; I would love to hear all about your travels!!! Thanks again for sharing your photos and I love your diamond palm tree
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sundial, your pics are gorgeous, what a beautiful place!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aloha Sundial!

Thanks for sharing your pics--and of course your sparkly is tres apropos!

cheers--Sharon

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Harleigh I'm so glad my pictures are getting you excited for your upcoming wedding trip to Maui and I hope you can find a palm tree pendant as a nice mememto while you are there.

Bebe we got to see the sun set while we were dining at Nick's too and it was incredible!

Kimberly I'm glad my shots brought back nice memories of Hawaii. And I hear you about the "aloha time". It is so easy just to put things off over there.

Skippy you are one of the reasons I posted these. I remember all of your lovely pictures of Kaui and the Big Island. And yes we do need to get together whenever I can get down there for lunch.

Ellen and Sharon thanks for looking at my photos and I'm glad you liked them.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2008 11:43:50 AM

Skippy you are one of the reasons I posted these. I remember all of your lovely pictures of Kaui and the Big Island. And yes we do need to get together whenever I can get down there for lunch.
Ahh, thank you Miss Sundial.
12.gif
Your awesome trip/pictures to Spain made me want to go to Montserrat (you are right it is such a special place)! I loved your Sagrada Familia shot; I couldn't get a pic as awesome as yours so I didn't post mine.
2.gif
I think we would have so much to talk about and especially since we both love NM and love to travel; if you are ever in town you know how to find me
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pictures and congrats on the pendant! Yours is so much bigger than my tiny .17 ctw
1.gif
Looks cute.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks MC! Your adorable RC palm tree was my inspiration for buying this. I am very pleased with how sparkly the diamonds are in his designs. I would like to go buy some of his other pendants too, but hubby wiould probably kill me!!!
2.gif

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 9:38:05 PM
Beach in front of the Four Seasons Resort Wailea.

Great photos and information, Sundial!

I just got back from a few weeks in Maui and this is the beach at which I got engaged last week! Maui is *definitely* one of my very favorite places!

I have been fortunate enough to have spent a lot of time on Maui (I''ve lost count of how many times, but over 25) - so if anyone who is going to vacation there would like any additional info, I''d been happy to do my best to share some of my experiences.

Briefly, some of my favorites:

- Sarento''s on the Beach in South Kihei is one of my very favorite restaurants - call for a beachfront reservation at 5:30 or 6:00 and be there for a spectacular sunset. It is owned and operated by the same people who own / run Nick''s Fishmarket.

- in Maalea - the Waterfront Restaurant is pretty old school but has excellent food. The tables on the patio are way better than the tables inside, so call ahead.

- Mama''s Fish House is always awesome, but pricey and very busy. Lunch is a good, less busy and less pricey option. To be here after dark means some of the ambiance is lost. If you want a dinner reservation call several days in advance.

- the spa at the Wailea Grand is amazing. Maui does''t get much rain, but if you get a wet afternoon this is an awesome option. Leave a lot of time for enjoying the facilities before your treatment.

- a Helicopter trip to view the sea cliffs of Molokai is amazing - Blue Hawaiian is probably the best company on the island. Call ahead to book and make a request for a front seat. They can''t guarantee it, but if the weight distribution works out, etc. they will accommodate requests on a first come basis.

- upcountry is always one of my favorite afternoon trips - to Makawao and around the area in Pukalani and Kula. The climate is different here - it''s cooler and has quite a different vibe. Great bakeries! If you like flowers the flower farms around Kula are amazing.

- the swap meet in Kahului (next to the post office) on Saturday mornings (7 am - noon) is something that I really enjoy. An awesome place to get fantastic and cheap flowers (be there early for flowers), some great local crafts and souvenirs, and local produce if you''re in a condo, along with all of the other regular swap meet kinds of things. It can get hot later in the day, so I usually try to be there by 8:30 or so.

- Makena (or Big Beach) is a beautiful beach that''s just past Wailea in South Maui. If you climb over the little volcanic rock outcrop to the right of Makena you can get to Little Beach. Another lovely and secluded beach, however due to the seclusion it can also tend to attract the ''clothing optional'' crowd.

- the Iao needle is also a lovely and easy afternoon activity

- if you''re looking for a Luau the Old Lahaina Luau is pretty much known to be the best on the island, although it books up way in advance. I tried to get tickets while we were there just now as my fiancee''s mom was joining us and we wanted to take her to a Luau, but they were sold out through to the end of March. They also allocate the best seats to those who book earliest. The Feast at Lele is not a ''traditional'' luau but has great food by luau standards and pretty good entertainment and is much smaller and more private.

- in Lahaina the Aloha Mixed Plate at the very far end of Front Street (right beside the Old Lahaina Luau grounds) is an amazing place for a beer or cocktail and an informal (and affordable) lunch or dinner. Great setting, away from the craziness of central Front Street, and very laid back. The coconut shrimp are my favorite!

- finally, if you''re into looking at jewelry while you''re there, Richter''s of Hawaii in the Wailea Grand is an estate jewelers that specializes in some quite high end pieces. They also carry Leon''s work from time to time. Their inventory changes, but if you''re around there anyway it''s worth a look!

Oh, there''s so much to do and see! I also have a selection of more ''local'' restaurants that I love. If you''re into that kind of thing let me know and I can list a few - places that cater to locals rather than tourists, but that have amazing and very reasonable food!

Have fun!!

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results