shape
carat
color
clarity

Mattress shopping ..the horror continues

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

talen316

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 10:49:18 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Milly~ Unfortunately, that manufacturer is no where close to my area.

Lynn~ We had a wonderful bed at a hotel we stayed at a couple years ago. It was the best bed either of us had ever been in. But, we had just purchased our bed prior to that trip so I didn't look into it. I tried calling the hotel and asking (it can't hurt, right?), but they were unable to tell me what mattress it would have been. *darn*

talen~ Thanks for the tip about price matching. Now, that I have a list of names for the one we want, I think we'll head to the stores and see what they can do for us.
Shiny - Did y'all finally decide on a mattress and if so, which one?

One other comment I had just based on how you described you and your husband's normal sleeping positions. You may want to use the "Comfort Genie" at www.mattresshotline.com or a similar mattress selector based on your sleeping positions, physical ailments, etc. I found it to be a useful resource in helping to target the right comfort level.

Was the hotel you were referring to a Westin or "W" by any chance? If so, they use a mid-level Simmons mattress. From the reasearch that I had done, Simmons seemed to be the most debated brand of the four big "S" brands. If you're biggest concern is sleep disruption due to movement by another person in the bed, the Simmons technology of individually pocketed coils is famous for minimizing motion on one side due to someone else moving around in the bed on the other side. However, because they do not currently heat temper their coils, many feel that the resiliency and longevity of their coils is significantly compromised as compared to other brands.

To Amandine's comments re: Original Mattress Factory - They have stores in our area and I had previously owned one that I purchased in the mid-90's. It seemed well made, but I did not have it long for other reasons so can't comment on how well it held up over an extended period of time. I shopped them again recently before we decide to go with the S&F. Their coil system is very heavy duty and their beds seem like a great value for the money. The DW wasn't too crazy about the materials they used in their comfort layers (I'm not as picky) and she is a bit of a brand snob so we opted to shell about $1k more for the S&F to which the cost/benefit is certainly debatable.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Hi, talen.

We did make our mattress purchase. I did a lot of research this time around, and I'm very glad I did. We had decided on a mattress that was going to be around $2500, a box top with latex foam on a good innerspring mattress. Luckily, I found lots of info on that hotline site that said we should not get a mattress with all the stuff built in. Since we're heavy people, it basically said that there's no way all that stuff is going to last for years. There was all sorts of advice on getting a "regular" mattress and adding a topper to it. (we chose a mattress that's a bit more plush than was suggested--suggested a 5/6-- because we want our end result to be very soft.) So, we got THIS mattress, and a separate 2"latex topper. Then, if the topper wears out, we'll just have to spend a couple hundred to replace it, instead of replacing an expensive mattress.

It should be delivered in about a week. Hopefully we did better this time! And, thanks again for providing those links!!
1.gif

ETA- And, i did find a store that had this mattress so we tried it out for quite a while and DH and I liked it pretty well as is, but I think we'll LOVE it with the topper.

The hotel wasn't a Weston, but thanks for the info.

talen316

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/19/2008 5:59:04 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Hi, talen.

We did make our mattress purchase. I did a lot of research this time around, and I''m very glad I did. We had decided on a mattress that was going to be around $2500, a box top with latex foam on a good innerspring mattress. Luckily, I found lots of info on that hotline site that said we should not get a mattress with all the stuff built in. Since we''re heavy people, it basically said that there''s no way all that stuff is going to last for years. There was all sorts of advice on getting a ''regular'' mattress and adding a topper to it. (we chose a mattress that''s a bit more plush than was suggested--suggested a 5/6-- because we want our end result to be very soft.) So, we got THIS mattress, and a separate 2''latex topper. Then, if the topper wears out, we''ll just have to spend a couple hundred to replace it, instead of replacing an expensive mattress.

It should be delivered in about a week. Hopefully we did better this time! And, thanks again for providing those links!!
1.gif

ETA- And, i did find a store that had this mattress so we tried it out for quite a while and DH and I liked it pretty well as is, but I think we''ll LOVE it with the topper.

The hotel wasn''t a Weston, but thanks for the info.
You heard/read a lot of the same advice that I had heard/read as well against getting over stuffed pillowtops due to the possibility of the comfort layers breaking down much quicker than the actual coil system. Going with a mattress with less built in padding and compensating with a high quality latex topper that you can replace over time is a sensible approach in my opinion. I actually tried to reason with my DW on the same approach, but she wanted what she wanted bless her sweet little heart.
20.gif

I think y''all played it smart and it looks like you got a good deal on that Sealy along with the assurance of a long comfort guarantee period so that should help you feel good about your choice as well.

Best of luck with it and sweet dreams!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results