shape
carat
color
clarity

MATTE OR GLOSSY wall tile..Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, I did it and ordered new tile! I''m so excited. But I''m still wondering...
MATTE OR GLOSSY subway tile. The floor is matte hex. The tub, sink, and bowl are glossy white.

I thought the matte might be a nice contrast and match the floor...

But maybe a shiny reflective surface is better for a small bathroom!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I would probably go with matte because it doesn''t show finger prints or cleaning product smears as bad as glossy. Either would look nice, but matte would be my choice!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm if everything else is glossy, maybe matte to throw some contrast in and match the floor?

hard to say...i don't know that i've really ever noticed matte vs glossy before.

OH but now that i think of it, i will say that our master bath has matte spanish small 6x6 tiles for the entire tub, floor and countertop areas and i really like the matte look, it looks very 'spa' if that makes sense. very 'cool' (as in temperature) feeling as well.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, the floor is matte hex. the pedestal sink, toilet and tub are glossy (actually, the tub is a matte cast iron...old as hell, to be reglazed glossy). And I haven't see too much matte in the mags...but then again, who the hell can tell with lighting. I just don't want the plain matte white to look plastic...And the way the light hits, the glossy looks fairly flat. Interesting! I just don't want to make a mistake b/c I reordered new tile and took a big hit on the old tile! I have 24 hours to change from matte to glossy!!!

I wonder how a glossy sizzle strip would look under the chair rail for contrast!

Thanks ladies

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This is the tile and molding. Also matte. This is off of the net. It doesn''t look plastic I guess.
I could do his black strip in glossy white for interest or maybe an elaborate one from another site...

molding.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I just check out Ann Sacks and Walker Zanger for ideas...and it seems they use glossy....

But here is a pic of the Daltile matte on the wall. They have a pretty Listello under the chair rail...but it''s misleading b/c the listelo only comes in glossy...I wouldn''t want to mix...

listelopic.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
here is the Listelo up close.

Maybe it would look better with Matte floor, matte wall paint, and then glossy tile! Yikes! Maybe I should flip a coin! :)

Listelo.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can't even tell that the tile in that photo is MATTE or that the listello is glossy. it looks all the same!

Personally I think mixing and matching the glossy and matte is fine, it will add some contrast but be pretty subtle...

Have you ever seen a room painted in wide vertical stripes in satin and flat paints? One big stripe of satin and then one big stripe of flat, alternating around the room. The colors are EXACTLY the same, but the difference between the satin and flat makes the colors look slightly different. I love that look, I've seen it in a few different rooms and it's a great way to add some visual interest to a room without making it really obvious.

So I tend to think the same possibly could work for something like this project. I don't think I would mind having matte tile and the glossy Listello aka in that pic...it looks pretty nice? Though it is hard to say from a pic. Also that matte tile tends to look very fake picturesque in my opinion, really beautiful....like its too pretty to be real? Wonder if it's *because* it's matte?

33.gif

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi MMM,

Ive had both glossy and matte. I hated glossy because I actually "live" in my house and it will not look like a display home with a kid and their pals, the glossy was hard to keep clean of finger prints and smears. I bought a steamer too and it was time consuming. I had matte in the sunroom and I could mop it and it would look fine. I will never have glossy again. If you have a neat husband and no kids go for glossy if you like the look! I know how remodeling goes, im in my 5th year and homerun of being completed!!!! Its been stressful though! Ive been thinking maintenance free condo.
6.gif

Best,

Lori-yellowfan

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I totally understand what you mean Mara- it''s so pretty...but there is something fake about it?
p.s. the only way I know in that pic that it''s matte is b/c it said so....so I cheated.
9.gif
I woudln''t have known either. That other picture with the black sizzle strip (not my style) is a glossy and looks nice with that guy''s matte tile. I really like the look of that matte tile...IN THE PIC...but you know, I will say I''ve seen some matte in person and it does look a little dead...but I''m still drawn to it.

Yellowfan- my hubby is not the one to worry about! LOL...No kids. Just cats. And when I wash my face- it''s like a bird bath LOL....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my......i loooooove the listelo...elegant and understated. that would be hands down, no questions asked, my pick. it adds something without being overpowering. i like those little hidden touches.....the ones that complete the overall look without screaming "i''m here!" i think the black sizzle strip in a small bathroom would be too much.....your eyes would be drawn to it, and if the bathroom is small, it would just kind of close it off. it would be like there was a little black line, circling you in......not so good.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
matte or glossy matte or glossy LOL...

Do you think the listelo looks too ''much''???

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 12:26:37 PM
Author: moremoremore

It''s so hard to tell from a photo. I like to keep things clean and not fussy. I like the listelo, but would quickly become tired of it. So far as matte or glossy, it''s personal preference, what do you like?! What type of feel do you want in that bathroom? I personally would match the matte floor and the matte wall tile.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
how about alternate matte and glossy......
37.gif

(crazypsycholady!)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 12:35:22 PM
Author: Libster

Date: 2/9/2005 12:26:37 PM

It''s so hard to tell from a photo. I like to keep things clean and not fussy. I like the listelo, but would quickly become tired of it.
I agree. And, I can''t really tell from the photo either. I think I may tire of it also.

Trends now are for large matt tiles - as Mara said - spa like. BUT - that is for *larger* bathrooms. You have a small space. I vote glossy & keep it simple -especially if you are thinking resale in the future. A classic bathroom will always be a classic bathroom.

But, in the end, do what pleases you. What are the people who are selling the product to you think? They see people do this everyday!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
What are the salespeople telling me?- "DUH"..."MMMMMM"..."DUH" LOL....
I special ordered from Home Depot. Saved over 3.00 a foot from some tile places! So they are CLUELESS!!!

WELL, at the very last minute (F&I will surely see how psycho I am)....I called them back and to put my order back to .... MATTE! LOL...

I decided that with the glossy sink, tub and toilet....with some shiny mirrors, with some shantung drapes in there...and maybe a thin glossy sizzle strip...it will look tres cool!

Thank you all so much for your help!!! Yup, if it''s not one obsession, it''a another
20.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 5:20:57 PM
What are the salespeople telling me?- ''DUH''...''MMMMMM''...''DUH'' LOL....
I special ordered from Home Depot. Saved over 3.00 a foot from some tile places! So they are CLUELESS!!!

WELL, at the very last minute (F&I will surely see how psycho I am)....I called them back and to put my order back to .... MATTE! LOL...

I decided that with the glossy sink, tub and toilet....with some shiny mirrors, with some shantung drapes in there...and maybe a thin glossy sizzle strip...it will look tres cool!

Thank you all so much for your help!!! Yup, if it''s not one obsession, it''a another
20.gif
Sounds beautiful.....BUT......you must promise to post pics of the finished product!! I would have picked matte, too
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I would have chosen matte as well...I think it will be a nice complement to the glossy fixtures and items and will go with the floor. Post final pix!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!!!! I''m nervous but hopeful!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got the latest Williams Sonoma Home catalog tonite (beautiful items but WAY too expensive for my taste!! $400 table lamp, $1000 cashmere blanket, and $260 set of sheets? I am definitely not their core audience!) and saw this bathroom image. It looks MUCH better and more detailed in the catalog...but here is the screenshot from their online catalog.

Similar idea eh? Notice how the floor tiles are patterned with black and white...wall tiles are glossy. LOVE the blue color for the walls.

I also like the dark mahogany accents...white, blue and chocolate is one of my fave combos.

wshome bathroom.JPG

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Super cool!
I really don''t see a lot of matte. Maybe for good reason.
20.gif
But who the hell cares at this point. So I hate it- I''m moving in 4 years anyway LOL...When I think of matte, I think I made a mistake. When I had glossy, I thought I made a mistake. THAT"S WHAT DESIGNERS ARE FOR AND I *NEEEEDDD* one. But whatever.

Oh, you just gotta through some dark tones into a room like this. Otherwise, unless you''re really good at playing up texture, it''s a snooze fest. I was thinking of adding some artwork with dark frames and maybe a huge mirror above the tub. I really like that beveled subway tile too...but I''m not that bold! zzzzzz

We''ll see. Now I''m having issues regarding framing the shower. WHAT THE HELL is a quarter round for anyway???
32.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
You could hand a cool mobile from the ceiling.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results