shape
carat
color
clarity

Matching Wedding Bands?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisy2418

Rough_Rock
Hey y''all,
When my FI proposed to me, he gave me a gorgeous 1.6 ACA. Now, I always thought that I would want us to wear matching wedding bands, but on a plane the other day I saw a woman with an e-ring similar to mine, and a wedding band with smaller diamonds. It looked SO pretty. (Kind of like Mara''s, but I saw it in real life!!)

I''m torn between something flashier like that, and a matching one. Anyone care to say why they picked which one?

Thanks!
Daisy

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
well, we're in the process right now of deciding this same thing. In polling my friends- even those that went for similar looks (i.e. plain plat bands), they were still different enough tat they were not really 'matching'. So, we chose to have a non-matched set, mine with pave, hos plain plat.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Well, ours don't match at all. His is YG/WG and mine is platinum with diamonds. We just chose the rings that we liked.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Our tastes in jewelery are quite different, and we've found things we liked that don't match. Mokume game is generally done in rings which are too wide for my fingers, and he likes it a lot. I like art deco style, and he doesn't. I couldn't bring myself to even ask that he wear it, and I'm sure he feels the same way about me. (When we were looking at tension settings, I was REALLY sure we weren't going to match, anyway
1.gif
)

If you had two sets of rings, maybe one could match? I'm thinking of getting us (as a rather practical surprise, given our activities) matching titanium wedding bands for camping and so forth.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I initially envisions DH and I having matching bands. However, his ring is a VERY wide ring (The One Ring from New Zealand), and I really wanted diamonds in mine, so we decided not to match.

I think the trend has moved away from matching bands for the most part.

One consideration - are you planning to have a family? If so, that might be a compelling argument in favor of getting a small-stone band like Mara's. Many women don't want to wear their e-ring around infants/toddlers due to scratching, so having a diamond band lets them wear a bit of flash when they wear their w-ring alone.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/30/2004 12:51:13 PM Daisy2418 wrote:

Hey y'all,
When my FI proposed to me, he gave me a gorgeous 1.6 ACA. Now, I always thought that I would want us to wear matching wedding bands, but on a plane the other day I saw a woman with an e-ring similar to mine, and a wedding band with smaller diamonds. It looked SO pretty. (Kind of like Mara's, but I saw it in real life!!)

I'm torn between something flashier like that, and a matching one. Anyone care to say why they picked which one?

Thanks!
Daisy----------------

My husband's band and mine do not match because the ring I found ended up being an Artcarved ring with little flowers on it. I loved it and it felt cute on and so we bought it. I doubt my husband would go for a matching flowery band. He's a true guy and wanted something less feminine
2.gif
lol so he picked what suited his personality best, a plain gold band. It's personal preference, IMO, and some may find it sacred wearing matching bands and some may think it takes away from your individuality wearing the same thing, but just do what feels right for you. Get the small diamond one
1.gif
You like it and there's no way in 20 years you'll regret having done so.

I've been with my husband since we were in HS and I'm 31 now and it would bug me to have the same band as him.

Michelle

Daisy2418

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your responses! They were really helpful.

I think I'm leaning toward a diamond wedding band. I guess I'll really see when I try them on!

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Welp my fiance and I plan to have matching wedding bands and it is his idea. He absolutely wants his wedding band to look like mine...so we've had to compromise on the look. My e-ring (not made yet, but diamond purchased--actually my avatar is my diamond on the temporary setting)will be a 1.20 solitaire with a "U" head and double prongs with a surprise diamond on each side of the head. Our wedding rings will be eternity bands with spacing between the diamonds. e.g. I will have a 3mm ring with about (8) .2 (.16 tcw) diamonds, his will be a 6mm with (8) .4 (.32 tcw) diamonds. He is very happy with the style, even though orignally he wanted a plain band. However, when I told him that I wanted my band to have diamonds, he then wanted diamonds too. Anyway, we're both happy with the style, I have my diamonds but it's not too much for either a man's or woman's band. Attached is a picture of how mine will look. Take care and good luck!

Band2.jpg

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
I love that look.
love.gif
I would like to have one just like that to go with my solitaire, but it will probably be awhile. Right now the solitaire is my sole wedding ring and my husband wears a silver celtic weave band.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We opted to go for non-matching because our tastes are so different. I wanted our wedding rings to really be more about ourselves and expressing what we liked. Esp since we are wearing them forever! I'm not into rings that don't remotely match engagement rings, like the 'somewhat feminine' version of a husband's ring. I think if you wear a ring like that alone, it's perfectly fine, but with the e-ring, there is some form of 'matching' that comes into play...aka matching styles or the look.

So we got what matched my e-ring for me..and we built Greg something that was more indicative of him and his spirit. He had always ribbed me about my diamond vs him not having one, so we got him a small ACA and built his ring from titanium (for his gearhead lovin' ways) and gold (for his Jersey lovin' ways). It turned out amazing and he gets compliments on it DAILY, way more than I get on my ring or set!
2.gif
He loves it.

The funny thing is that when I try on other wedding bands with my e-ring now..they look so odd and off! I tried on a bunch before I got the wedding band, and ended up with this style..and am very happy I did, and went with a slightly thinner band. Alot of people still think it's just one ring along the lines of 'wow that is a big engagement ring'...hah! Try TWO rings baby!
2.gif
But even now when I try others on, I always come back to this one. The others just don't look right with this engagement ring 'style'. It's too different.

So in the end it worked out great for both of us.
2.gif
Plus I've never been a matching kind of gal in terms of doing what your mate does, I prefer shocking amounts of individuality!
2.gif

My two cents!! Do what makes you happy in the end. You will be wearing that ring for a very very long time!
1.gif

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to mention that when we first got married 15 years ago, I talked my husband into matching yellow gold bands even though he wanted white gold or silver.
eek.gif
We had no money for a diamond then. About two years later my then two-year-old daughter flushed mine down the toilet. (NEVER Leave your rings near a sink or toilet!)
cry.gif
So after some hard lessons, I am not too worried about the matching thing now, even though I am now a huge fan of white metals. It's imortant to love what you have.

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
In the end, it's whatever you both like...whether it's matching or non-matching..it's all about being happy with your choice!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
The thought of matching bands never crossed our minds, really. Mine is in platinum, with diamonds, and his is yellow gold, single milgrain style. I wanted plat, he's so pale that it could only be yellow gold. Worked out cheaper for me anyway!
2.gif

Get whatever you like the best- different or matching!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I had wanted ours to match initially too.. but now I want him to get some cool looking one, like titanium, or maybe even the black titanium.. and I personally can't decide between a plain WG band, which i have always thought I wanted.. or a very thin eternity band.. but.. I don't even have my e-ring yet.. I am just gonna have to see which one I like better with my e-ring.. There is a matching band for my e-ring too, but I don't think I like it.. but it could be different in real life. But.. I definitely don't think the bands need to match anymore..
Melissa

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
No match for us. He would never wear anything that looked like my ring and I certainly wouldn't have chosen the ring he wanted for himself!

BTO

Rough_Rock
Our rings don't match at all. His is white gold miligrain edge, mine is platinum pave.

Although, I think it might be cool to have matching ones for times when I don't want to wear my diamond band-- camping, traveling, sports, etc.

A friend of mine has two wedding rings. One is sort of a wrap to go with her solitaire. And her husband surprised her with another on their wedding day, it looks just like his (two tone band) but has small diamonds channel set in the top. I thought it was a really neat idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results