shape
carat
color
clarity

Matcha

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I am wondering what is your favorite brand if you drink matcha?

S

SallyB

Trader Joe’s Green Tea Matcha. The sweetened powdered mix that’s probably very unhealthy :D

I miss it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried Matcha because of that 2016 Emmy winner drama, "Mozart in the Jungle".
The character who played an orchestra director drank it often, prepared a super-special "authentic" way.

Great series, but the tea didn't tick any of my boxes, or ring my bell, so I gave it away.

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always wanted to like it and have never managed to find one that I find tastes good.

S

SallyB

Not Matcha, but my favorite black teas:

Taylors of Harrogate Scottish Breakfast Tea (Scottish, not English or Irish, is as far as I know the strongest-tasting black tea you can buy)

Lapsang souchong tea-black tea smoked over pine

I must try some real Matcha!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite is Ippodo Tea’s grade 1 Kuon, which is their richest, followed by the Ummon-no-mukashi. For a cheaper basic, I go with the grade 5 Kan-no-shiro.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your responses :) We begin each day with a bowl and are now unable to get our favorite brand due to the current shipping restrictions. My go to brand is Marukyu-Koyamaen, they have some really lovely offerings.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the ones with roasted rice for their nutty flavour.

DK :))

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have only had sweetened ones. I imagine many are not sweetened? Are they always made with milk?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your responses :) We begin each day with a bowl and are now unable to get our favorite brand due to the current shipping restrictions. My go to brand is Marukyu-Koyamaen, they have some really lovely offerings.

Ah, so you like the high quality, ceremonial grade matcha. Always pleased to meet a kindred spirit! I think Ippodo would be right up your alley if you haven’t already tried it.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have only had sweetened ones. I imagine many are not sweetened? Are they always made with milk?

Matcha is traditionally served unsweetened with water only, which can taste quite strong and somewhat bitter.

It’s pretty trendy to have it with milk and sugar, which you’ll find at boba shops. I think it’s delicious and I often make it at home. I prefer to buy pure matcha powder so I can control how much sugar to use and how strong I want it.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matcha is traditionally served unsweetened with water only, which can taste quite strong and somewhat bitter.

It’s pretty trendy to have it with milk and sugar, which you’ll find at boba shops. I think it’s delicious and I often make it at home. I prefer to buy pure matcha powder so I can control how much sugar to use and how strong I want it.

Thanks for the info!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I tried the matcha latte from Muji, and it was way too sweet even for me!

DK :))

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenko ceremonial grade. I like it whipped with coconut milk :lickout:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Ah, so you like the high quality, ceremonial grade matcha. Always pleased to meet a kindred spirit! I think Ippodo would be right up your alley if you haven’t already tried it.

I have tried to order from Ippodo in the past but my order was unable to be fulfilled-I think I may be time to try again :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@JPie I just placed a pre-order for the Premium Select, I am hoping it will be enjoyable :)

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I get mine from Breakaway Matcha

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I tried Matcha because of that 2016 Emmy winner drama, "Mozart in the Jungle".
The character who played an orchestra director drank it often, prepared a super-special "authentic" way.

Great series, but the tea didn't tick any of my boxes, or ring my bell, so I gave it away.

I thought that character drank yerba mate?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I ordered the Daphne once, and it was DIVINE. But I couldn't justify the cost, so I usually order 100g of Breakaway 97.

The Daphne would be nice to try, but the Blend 97 sounds like a great option though :) I will likely start with a sampler flight to try and find a good fit!

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
The Daphne would be nice to try, but the Blend 97 sounds like a great option though :) I will likely start with a sampler flight to try and find a good fit!

Please let me know what you think!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would add matcha to some of my stronger teas. Matcha (at least the one I get) always had a bitter taste to me, so adding it to something like hibiscus tea (the real stuff can be quite strong) helped dial it back some. also true for lemon/ginger tea (I use the real stuff so it was quite strong)

tried with moringa and did not like it. but I didn't really like moringa to begin with.

I do have a preference for matcha to be hot verus cold (only exception is with hibiscus)

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I would add matcha to some of my stronger teas. Matcha (at least the one I get) always had a bitter taste to me, so adding it to something like hibiscus tea (the real stuff can be quite strong) helped dial it back some. also true for lemon/ginger tea (I use the real stuff so it was quite strong)

tried with moringa and did not like it. but I didn't really like moringa to begin with.

I do have a preference for matcha to be hot verus cold (only exception is with hibiscus)

It should taste grassy and smooth. If it's bitter, you may be using too hot of water (should be 160-175F, not boiling)? That or try a different brand :)

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
Also, I can't drink straight matcha on an empty stomach. Makes me feel nauseated.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock

@Arcadian I agree-matcha should be a bright vibrant green color(never muddy-if it is it may be the type or it may have gone bad), store open cans in the refridgerator for up to 3 months or closed cans in the freezer for up to a year. It should also taste smooth and balanced-sweet, grassy/vegetal, umami, slight tannins without bitterness or astringency. Please try another brand until you find one that is to your liking, when you do find the right one for you it is divine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results