shape
carat
color
clarity

Massive Earthquake

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There has been a massive earthquake that caused tidal waves; killed thousands; and affected the earth''s rotation. It appears to be one of the great tragedies of our time.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness, I can't believe how its happening in so many places so close to me, I feel so helpless. I was just in Patong, Phuket and Phi Phi last Oct for my honeymoon, I love the place and now its totally wrecked!

Massive quake in Asia with 4000 over dead

From the Australian

Latest from ABC news, 8000 over dead

14.gif
38.gif
7.gif
39.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
OMG- those poor people. How awful.
15.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, in situations like this no one will really ever know the true death toll - except for God.

May the living find peace and purpose to move on.

Perry

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
22,000 and rising

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That's what I heard this morning (22+)...and the real kicker will be the disease that follows. It is just unreal to me. I can't imagine. I remember watching an A&E special about Tsunamis (sp?) and the stories from survivors were just mind blowing

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
We have a lot of PSers from Singapore... has anyone heard from them?

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
FK, I''m the only one from Spore who''s still posting regularly. Thanks for your concern!! We''re totally unaffected, just felt some slight tremors.
5.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Sign of the times.

God speed.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people from the church I go too were over there when it hit.
The took a day trip further inland if they had been at there hotel they wouldnt have survived.
Not sure exackly where they were but the hotel/resort they were at was totaly destroyed.

flowergurl

Rough_Rock
Horrible.
Where did you hear it affected the earth''s rotation?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chris who helped me develop the Ideal-scope is in Sri Lanka and left the cost the evening before it hit.

Pity the poor fishing people and their communities who make their livelyhood along the tens of thousands of miles of affected coast line. Many have lost their boats and their homes. Some have lost whole families. Small childern fared worst of all.
This is one occasion where we can all dig deep into our pockets and make a big difference to help reduce the suffering, starvation, thirst and disease that will follow.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Anyone with any particular wisdom about which agencies know how to spend a dollar well, don''t be shy...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I choose Red Cross because they will have some decent infrastructure to act quickly.
They are also well spread and I believe a reasonable % of the funds get to the right place.

There are more efficient groups who are more volunteer run - but I doubt they can deploy planes and boats etc as rapidly. At times like this a good comand and control system is vital me thinks. But i have not any special depth or inside knowledge.

My Mum was a volunteer before she died. Decisons are prat rational and part emotional.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2004 8:36:47 PM
Author: flowergurl
Horrible.
Where did you hear it affected the earth''s rotation?
I also heard that it messed with the rotation and that it moved the island, Sumatra (??). How horrific. I can''t begin to imagine what they experienced and what they are going to have to go through...
15.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
One good link deserves another...

Garry, the list serve associated with my place of worship has directed me to a site where I''ve touched in...

For anyone else interested in following out Garry''s specific suggestion, and who might like easy access, this link should take you to the Red Cross, and can assist with that purpose.

I certainly appreciate and value this discussion. Thanks, all.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read that the death toll is already up to 40,000 people. It will, of course, rise. A friend posted this on his website:

"If anyone does want to help, the following charities are working in the area.

Care International
International Federation of the Red Cross
Medecins Sans Frontieres
Oxfam
Save The Children
Unicef
World Vision"

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2004 8:36:47 PM
Author: flowergurl
Horrible.

Where did you hear it affected the earth's rotation?

The original source of the information was Enrico Boschi of Italy's National Institute of Geophysics:

article on start of "rumor"

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The idea that this affected the earths rotation is bogus. Yes, in earthquakes parts of the earth move - but there is an oposite motion as well (if only delayed a bit). On a theoretical scale - start walking east and you affect the earths rotation. When you stop walking you also effect the earths rotation - in exactly the oposite way. So for a very short moment - the earthquake - and the tusumie waves affected the earths rotation, first in one direction - then in the oposite direction. Conclusion: No net change in the earths rotation. I would also like to point out that these changes, while you can calculate their magnitude - are not even measurable because they are on the range of "infinitesimally small." The amount of change that they momonetarily empact on the rotational momentum of the planet is probably on the order of a trillionth (or smaller) of a unit. That is because the earth is extreemly massive compared to us - or even the amount of ground & water displaced in such an event.

The more measurable effect is the vibrations of the planet. Earthquakes like this "ring the bell" of the earth. It will take days - or even weeks - for all the vibrations to mute out (just like it takes a while for a big bell to mute out to silence).

I wish all the survivors the best.

Perry

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Wow. We are all so fortunate to be safe and most unaffected (physically) by this enormous tragedy. I read somewhere this morning that new toll is around 55,000 dead and is expected to rise sharply in the days to come. It just seems so surreal -- like something out of a movie. hard to believe so many are suffering while I''m here at my desk, doing normal day-to-day things....

Thank you all for your donation lists and recommendations.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the list of charity organizations Deb. Another great way to help out in this terrible tragedy is to donate blood.

I see the warm caring thoughts and concern of the people on this thread for the victims of this terrible natural disaster and I''m so delighted by the love shown to our fellow human beings. In a world that is so torn by war, controversy, and a disproportionate amount of attention to our differences, I pray that this terrible tragedy would help us ALL to realize that we are all human beings, we are all affected by tragedy, and by joy, in the same ways, and we can put aside our petty differences and all come together to help those in dire need.
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2004 10:33:37 AM
Author: SJS1234
It just seems so surreal -- like something out of a movie. hard to believe so many are suffering while I'm here at my desk, doing normal day-to-day things....

What an apt way to put it for most of us, myself included. Life goes on here but half a world away, one of the greatest tragedies in modern history is unfolding. It's surreal.

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/28/2004 11:44:36 AM
Author: Jennifer5973

Date: 12/28/2004 10:33:37 AM
Author: SJS1234
It just seems so surreal -- like something out of a movie. hard to believe so many are suffering while I'm here at my desk, doing normal day-to-day things....

What an apt way to put it for most of us, myself included. Life goe on here but half a world away, one of the greatest tragedies in modern history is unfolding. It's surreal.
Re: surreal.. I agree, even for me, and I live in Indonesia, though not in the affected area.
There is such a contrast between what I see on the street where I am and what the news reported.

So far the incoming news from the northern provinces that got hit by the earthquake and tidal waves are quite saddening... There's a shortage of water, medicine and fuel...

I really cannot imagine what life must be like for the people affected...

Over here, major newspapers and banks have set up accounts (i.e. Aceh funds) for people who are interested in donating money to help... this is where I'm sending my money...

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
It really hit home when my boss told me yesterday that his neighbour''s wife was swept away while the family was holidaying in Sri Lanka. She was only 41 and leaves behind her husband and son.

We''re truly blessed to live where we are.

Below is another link if you''d like to donate.

https://www.donatefast.com/donate.cfm?id=afcrisis

In Singapore, we can donate directly to the Red Cross either through cheque, in person or online via DBS bank. I opted for online which is really easy. The link is below:

http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/donations/tsunami/

God bless everyone.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I was watching the news last night and watching clips and hearing stories of local families (here in the DC area) that have lost family members or even their entire immediate family. I cant even imagine. Many of them have started to collect items and money to donate and i plan on giving in some fashion as well.

Thank you to everyone that has provided links, but i would like to throw out there for everyone to be careful and do a little checking before making contributions if it is not a well known agency/group. Unfortunately there will be some that will try to use this tragedy for personal advantage and profit, stealing credit card number, personal information and money. So please be careful.

And as far as the earths rotation thing... it has been SPECULATED that the earth wobbled on its axis. Nothing dramatic, nothing permanent. With such a powerful earthquake its hard not to imagine that it didnt have some kind of short-term effect on such things. Perrys comparison of a ringing bell is good. Powerful displacement of energy, big earth, its going to take a little bit. Here is some info from CNN.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have no words to express my feelings. Bless these poor people.

I''m concerned about some of the colored stone dealers on PS. A few are from Sri-lanka.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
This is a tragedy of a magnitude we rarely see. I can only hope the massive relief efforts keep it from getting worse.

Amazon.com has made it possible to donate directly to the Red Cross through their web site for anyone who is interested.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2004 10:46:12 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Chris who helped me develop the Ideal-scope is in Sri Lanka and left the cost the evening before it hit.

Pity the poor fishing people and their communities who make their livelyhood along the tens of thousands of miles of affected coast line. Many have lost their boats and their homes. Some have lost whole families. Small childern fared worst of all.
This is one occasion where we can all dig deep into our pockets and make a big difference to help reduce the suffering, starvation, thirst and disease that will follow.
HI:

Aptly stated. Unimaginable in every particular.

Sharon

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Reading all the stories and seeing videos of the actual waves coming in at different locations,........ It is totally mind boggling.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results