shape
carat
color
clarity

Martini setting...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone. I have 2+ ct tdw studs (G, VS2, H&As) in 14k WG martinis and while I love the look, I feel like the "point" of the martini setting is sinking into my piercing/ear hole and making it bigger. AM I nuts?
20.gif
Does anyone else have this concern? I was thnking about getting the stones put into 4 prong baskets with elephant backs...? Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated! Thanks.
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t own martini studs, but when I saw that type of setting for the first time, I immediately thought that the "point" of the setting would dig into my piercing hole! So I don''t think you''re crazy at all! I think it''s definitely worth changing settings if it''s making your piercing holes bigger.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
There was an earlier thread where someone had interjected on there martinis stretching their holes. I have now become obsessed. I do notice I wear mine tight and they do press. I might start a poll on rocky talk and get a consensus because I too am now getting hole paranoia.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
This is exactly why I choose not to get martini settings. I love the look but had the same fear! My studs are much smaller than yours. 1.03ctw but I went with a basket 4 prong setting instead. If you think its happening, than it probably is.

With stones that size, I would imagine over time it will just get worse.

If it were me, I would stop wearing them and reset ASAP.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, there was another thread recently about this eact subject matter.. I have martini setting for my studs rougly the same wight as your, but have no problems. However, I do not wear mine daily and have not had them but three months.

The poster''s name escapes me, but within the last 6 months she reset them reset her 3ct (each) earrings/stones to baskets from martini''s, because she was worrried about this issue; then reset them back to martini''s!. Hope my memeory serves, but maybe I can find the link......

cheers--Sharon

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, ladies. These studs are driving me nuts!
40.gif

I don''t know what to do with them. I don''t wear them every day but I''d like to wear them more. I am not a truly "stud" type of gal but it''s such a shame--they are so pretty... I''d like to wear them more. The martini hole thing is just part of the issue... I was leaning towards 4 prong baskets, but ...

What do you think of leverbacks? I suggested this to my jeweler and he said that looks "cheap."
33.gif
I don''t think I agree! Then--he has a setting that is leverback with 2 diamond melee rings into the center of which you can set a stud...very very intriguing. But then I lose the true "stud" option...but aybe I''d wear a leverback style more... UGH. Can you tell I am obsessed?
37.gif

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/30/2007 2:11:16 PM
Author: amylikesrocks
Hi,
This is exactly why I choose not to get martini settings. I love the look but had the same fear! My studs are much smaller than yours. 1.03ctw but I went with a basket 4 prong setting instead. If you think its happening, than it probably is.

With stones that size, I would imagine over time it will just get worse.

If it were me, I would stop wearing them and reset ASAP.
I also have a pair of studs like Amy''s that''s 1.03ctw set in 4 prong basket. Have been wearing them 24/7 for almost a year and a half without any problems.

Apsara, get yours reset but don''t consider leverbacks as they are not that versatile.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry, but I feel the same way about martini settings! They are overwhelmingly popular here. But the one time I tried them on, I felt like the setting would be going into the ear hole as I tightened them from the back. I prefer 4 prong baskets. I have .75 in each ear, and I have never had any drooping with these or prior smaller ones. They sit flat against my earlobe. And as weird as this may sound, I also prefer an even number of prongs.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
jewels, don''t you love that size?! I love mine, I wear them daily too, I take them out once or twice a week to clean and put them right back in. Sleep in them, shower in them, etc. I don''t even know they are in anymore. The are super ideal hearts and arrows and those little stones sparkle like crazy.

AND back on topic, my holes have not changed, stretched in any way.

Regarding leverbacks, I prefer studs. A very classic look and very versatile. I would go with basket set studs. The think I like about the basket setting is since the back is flat, it sits nicely on the ear with no chance it will sink into the piercing.

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, girls! I am going to make an appt tomorrow to get the stones reset into 4 prong baskets with the jumbo backs to prevent drooping.
1.gif

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
I just had to reply and say I LOVE the new 4 prong baskets!!!!! I went yesterday and watched them reset at my jewelers. It''s hard to explain but they sit perfectly, do not droop and do not bother the piercing. For me, they are the better choice. And the jeweler did a great job--no worries about too much metal because the prongs are so delicate. Thank you to everyone who provided her opinion--it was the nudge I needed to move over!

And because I know you all love pics, here they are:
1.gif
36.gif

1.09 G, VS1
1.06 H, VS2
H&As

4prong1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! What a gorgeous pair!!! I think they look great! Congrats!

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
I am so happy that you had it done, and most of all that you love the new setting. They look amazing. Can we get some ear pics?

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 12:45:31 AM
Author: amylikesrocks
jewels, don''t you love that size?! I love mine, I wear them daily too, I take them out once or twice a week to clean and put them right back in. Sleep in them, shower in them, etc. I don''t even know they are in anymore. The are super ideal hearts and arrows and those little stones sparkle like crazy.

AND back on topic, my holes have not changed, stretched in any way.

Regarding leverbacks, I prefer studs. A very classic look and very versatile. I would go with basket set studs. The think I like about the basket setting is since the back is flat, it sits nicely on the ear with no chance it will sink into the piercing.
Hi Amy,

Love my size. Like you, I only take my studs out to clean once or twice a week. I do love the pair that I have now, but I must admit that I would like to get one down the road that''s the size of what Apsara has. PS can be a bad influence sometimes.
31.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Glad you changed them and are happy! I love my setting, classic.

jewels I laughed out loud at your post. I always thought my studs were big until I started coming here! Most women around wear these tiny little diamond chip studs.

And I''ve been thinking, hmmm some .75ct each ear would look nice LOL. But then I remind myself how my 1.03 were perfect until I found this forum! They are really well cut and super sparkly :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results