shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise ring design CADs - any suggestions?

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
I am having a ring made for my 9mm X 5mm marquise diamond and wanted a simple design with a little bit of bling (channel set melee).

Here are the first draft of designs. I wanted triple claw prongs on the tip and used Niel's amazing marquise ring as inspiration for the prongs, however I am not sure about the triple prongs on tips anymore and placement of the prongs. (Do the triple claw prongs on the tips have too much space between them??)

What would you suggest for the prongs, leave design as is or change placement? Any other changes you would make to these designs?

Thanks in advance!

looking_down__5_.jpg

side_view__5_.jpg

ring_design_2.png

ring_design_1.jpg

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
or double claw prongs on tips with other prongs at 90 degrees from tips?

mes418.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I think they have too much space. Ideally, I wanted them to function as a v prong, but just more attractive

Do you like the cathedral?

Also make sure they will be adding the millgrain after casting

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Niel - yes my thoughts exactly! I want to make sure the tips are protected but i think the usual v prongs on marquise rings are too bulky.

I asked for the cathedral design (i know it's not for everyone!) but i really want to be able to wear a wedding band flush with this ring.

Good tip about the milgrain after casting, thanks!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Bling it on|1446725532|3945959 said:
(Do the triple claw prongs on the tips have too much space between them??)

Any space between the prongs at the tips drastically reduces any benefit from having them there. The point of a marquise is the weakest place on the stone by far and setting the stone N-S points those weak points in precisely the wrong direction. For maximum protection you really want something in front of the stone that will not bend, (in any direction including sideways), and a round prong is the worst shape to pick to avoid bending. You can have a set of round prongs which are in effect a shaped chevron prong, but they have to be tied together as far up the prong as possible to support each other. The tips of the prongs are not as critical as they only have to keep the stone down, so you can make a strong supporting structure with smallish tips that will work just fine.

The way it's set up in the pictures right now, the center prong is merely acting as a bumper for direct blows to the stone, with the stone having to take most of the impact. As long as you're very careful, it will work, but one rough day rock climbing, (or rapidly slamming files into a cabinet) and you could have a problem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results