clarity

March organizer might have had terrorist ties

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1485408623|4119996 said:
kenny|1485382769|4119807 said:
I'm so glad this thread was started.

Clearly all women who marched are terrorists.
It's obvious.
It's just common sense. Period!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Terrorists and horrible parents AND vagina-heads.

Vagina-Head should be trending on Twitter :lol:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's obvious.

Period?! Period?! You just had to go and use the "p" word didn't you? Now we're gonna hear accusations that all the terrorist women were on their periods. Oh, oh, and your implication that common sense and auntie flo are linked, what of those women who don't flo no mo? Do they lack common sense?

And what of the men Kenny, they don't flo at all, do they lack common sense?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ericad|1485408623|4119996 said:

It's obvious.

Terrorists and horrible parents AND vagina-heads.

Thanks for the snort laugh, Erica.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1485409549|4120001 said:
LOL

Wouldn't it be funny if our genitals were on top of our heads? :lol:

Then beds would be twice as long.

I just made the mistake of picturing what that might be like...I'm now simultaneously horrified and super amused. :lol: :lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1485387833|4119843 said:
katharath|1485383357|4119812 said:
AnnaH|1485380525|4119792 said:
K, in my opinion, your chart is too simplistic.
Contributors to various publications differ, some reliable, some not.
That goes for those in the center of the chart, too.

It's meant as a starting off point, it's not called "the all encompassing, infallible chart". We can't handhold every internet user. People need to be responsible for themselves - if they are truly having such a hard time, perhaps they should learn how to fact check, discern truth from lies, and do a bit of simple research. That's what critical thinkers do.[/quote

Questioning your chart equals a lack of critical thinking?

Anna, hopefully you don't take it as being said with malice (kath is really not like that at all) the chart isn't all encompassing, that would be impossible. (its the internet after all)

I get it...sort of.... Questions are good.

Like many here I also have to sort though whats truth and/or fiction. with what is considered "news" you have to have your thinking hat on.

And FWIW, I've been a registered Libertarian for the last 16 years...and with some issues, probably 2 steps right of center. :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1485450070|4120148 said:

It's obvious.

Period?! Period?! You just had to go and use the "p" word didn't you? Now we're gonna hear accusations that all the terrorist women were on their periods. Oh, oh, and your implication that common sense and auntie flo are linked, what of those women who don't flo no mo? Do they lack common sense?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We men lack common sense all the time, not just ... uhm ... periodically. :mrgreen:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1485454091|4120173 said:
Matata|1485450070|4120148 said:

It's obvious.

We men lack common sense all the time, not just ... uhm ... periodically. :mrgreen:
Bwahaaaaahaaaa. Good one Kenny! :clap:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1485452568|4120168 said:

It's meant as a starting off point, it's not called "the all encompassing, infallible chart". We can't handhold every internet user. People need to be responsible for themselves - if they are truly having such a hard time, perhaps they should learn how to fact check, discern truth from lies, and do a bit of simple research. That's what critical thinkers do.[/quote

Anna, hopefully you don't take it as being said with malice (kath is really not like that at all) the chart isn't all encompassing, that would be impossible. (its the internet after all)

Like many here I also have to sort though whats truth and/or fiction. with what is considered "news" you have to have your thinking hat on.

And FWIW, I've been a registered Libertarian for the last 16 years...and with some issues, probably 2 steps right of center. :wink2:

Thanks for your response, Arc. The reply from Kath did come off as hostile.
You only "sort of" get why I questioned the chart? Will try to be more clear.
Never said I thought the chart should be perfect, but to represent all those at the center as the most reliable is an inaccuracy, in my opinion and from my experience from reading and viewing those sources. Some are left leaning, such as NYT. That's not to say that the NYT or even the Huffington is never accurate.
I understand Ruby's dilemma. There's so much info available that it's a challenge to find reliable info. That is why I read and view info from a variety of sources. There are reliable and unreliable contributors in every news source, from my experience. That's my point.
For example, I rarely view Maddox or Hannity but do watch Scarborough and Faulkner. Scarborough is a moderate on MSNBC with a very liberal cohost and mostly liberal contributors. Faulkner, on Fox, is either moderate or conservative with a panel that is across the board but most members are conservative.
As far as internet news, I usually start with RealClearPolitics because they post articles across the spectrum. Very easy to access articles that represent all sides of an issue.
Sorry for the long post. Trying to give a clear response.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think some have an easier time of discerning sites that are reputable from others because we are online around the clock and used to using apps and devices for everything. Not saying anyone here is not capable nor literate, just saying the expectation that everyone be on the same level isn't realistic, as far as navigating these things. Some here grew up not knowing what life without internet was like. Others have had to sink or swim, learn as they go, and many are self-taught, period. There are different comfort levels. What seems obvious to some is just not that simple for others.

I had an employer once who honestly didn't know how to x out of a screen. I would have to show him every time he couldn't figure out how to navigate away from a window he'd accidentally opened or a pop-up. However, he was brilliant at making money for other people, having studied and practiced financial planning his entire career.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1485457829|4120213 said:
I think some have an easier time of discerning sites that are reputable from others because we are online around the clock and used to using apps and devices for everything. Not saying anyone here is not capable nor literate, just saying the expectation that everyone be on the same level isn't realistic, as far as navigating these things. Some here grew up not knowing what life without internet was like. Others have had to sink or swim, learn as they go, and many are self-taught, period. There are different comfort levels. What seems obvious to some is just not that simple for others.

I had an employer once who honestly didn't know how to x out of a screen. I would have to show him every time he couldn't figure out how to navigate away from a window he'd accidentally opened or a pop-up. However, he was brilliant at making money for other people, having studied and practiced financial planning his entire career.

I did not have a computer in y home until I was 40 years old. And it took quite bit of time to learn how to use it effectively.

But it was not until I started posting here, did I realize what a mine field it can be trying to determine what is true and what is fake news.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1485459424|4120227 said:

I did not have a computer in y home until I was 40 years old. And it took quite bit of time to learn how to use it effectively.

But it was not until I started posting here, did I realize what a mine field it can be trying to determine what is true and what is fake news.

Yes, exactly. And the media uses "mine field" to its advantage! The more confusing things are, the more likely you are to pay attention to sensational headlines that appeal to your views. And (you already mentioned this yesterday I think) you're being tracked with cookies constantly, so you are getting articles targeted towards you because they've used your information and online behavior to determine your beliefs. It absolutely IS a mine field.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian|1485452568|4120168 said:

Arcadian - I appreciate your reply, *especially* since I didn't get back to reply until now. (And I wanted to note: I'm often all over the place online; I visit MANY sites per day. I may post and then not get back to a post to respond again - I'm not ignoring anyone, but sometimes that just happens. I've also been much busier IRL lately so even less time to always reply...)

For the record, I was in no way stating or inferring that "questioning my chart equals a lack of critical thinking". I do think it's a very solid jumping off point for those in need of assistance.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1485459424|4120227 said:

And in addition to "fake news" there's the added complexity of the spin put on real new based on the agenda of the writer. It's a jungle out there! ;))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1485379575|4119779 said:
Here's a handy chart for who to believe:

I think this diagram is actually pretty spot-on. If you find yourself always at Huffpo, or at Fox, you are really taking in predisgested news for your own inclination. However some of the most unbiased news do not do any interpretation, which means more work following up or connecting the dots. i would not call the NYT liberal or left. They are hold a high standard for their news reporting. For truth and not for an agenda, which can make EITHER side uncomfortable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results