shape
carat
color
clarity

Marc Jacobs bag: yes or no

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
DD works at high-end department store and is trying to upgrade my look. We looked at handbags and put this one aside, but I am having major doubts--like why spend so much on a bag? (although she gets a great discount, so the price is less) So the questiion is mostly do you like this bag? What I like is I need a black bag and this has a front and back zippered area with open space between and a thinner zippered area between that, so a total of five layers to put stuff. I am in my early 50''s, so I have never ever spent this much--the last purse she talked me into was a whopping $145 and I thought that was a lot! Before that I bought a Stone Mountain purse I liked, used it for 10 years and repaced it with the same style for the next 10+ years until DD said NO MORE!

http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml;jsessionid=IUTPUEXN1MGZ4CQAAKNRPWI?itemId=prod21840106&parentId=cat80012&masterId=cat20056&index=5&cmCat=cat000000cat000002cat000008cat30005cat20056cat80012

So the Q are : Do you like it ? Is it worth spending lots of money on a handbag?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, are you kidding? That bag is stunning IMO, and no matter what age you are will look gorgeous and will be a bag you can carry for many years. Plus I''m sure your DD gets a bit of a discount and people would possibly kill to get that bag at a lower price. Go for it! You deserve it!!!
9.gif
36.gif
35.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Answering both questions: YEEESSS! Plus you have the benefit of a discount on a new MJ bag! For me there would be no question. Go for it!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can get that at a discount, OH YES for sure. It is elegant and great looking,

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Um...YES! Discount is a bonus, then you are away!!

cheers--Sharon

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I own this Marc Jacobs purse. I carry it ALL of the time and I''ve had it a couple of years now. His bags are very high quality. I toss this thing around a lot (I''m in college) and I load it down with so much stuff and it''s still in perfect shape. I totally recommend his bags, especially if you can get a discount!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heck yeah love that bag, and you get it with her discount??? It''s a no brainer!!!
31.gif

Seriously though, I have a MJ bag and it''s held up very welll. It''s one of my favorite bags.
1.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
So, you basically carried the same bag from the age of 30 to the age of 50?

Then yes, definitely get the Marc Jacobs bag. And if you can have your jeweler replace the hardware with diamond-embedded platinum hardware, you should do it, because you''ve definitely earned it by not spending **any** money on handbags since 1985.
9.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Yeeooza - your DD works at Bergdorf''s!! That whould surely bankrupt me, but what a way to go! If you like the bag I would go ahead. You deserve a pretty bag. On the other hand, if it will nag at you, like "hey for the price of this bag I could have flown to Asia" then I would hold off.

But for sure you can upgrade your bag w/o guilt cause you are one thrifty owner! It is a lovely bag.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Great looking purse, though I do like it in the peanut color better
30.gif
Get it get it get it!

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for your replies. Well, I had an idea the purchase would be favorably addressed here
28.gif

Beacon--no, she doesn''t work at Bergdrofs--it''s another high end store--but B had the best picture--a model holidng it so you got an idea of size. DD called and told me what it was going to cost and the discount is substantial--about as much as a bigger coach purse so even though all my co-workers think it is a silly waste of money I''m going to do it!

Sera--what a great idea--DD was going to buy one in peanut--maybe I''ll get it instead and loan it to her, she saves the money and I''m not sure that I need black anyway. But could you use peanut color year round? Could you wear it with jeans? Is it as versatile?

Please everyone feel free to comment on color choice!

There is a picture of Christina Aguillera with the peanut bag.
http://www.purseblog.com/celebrities/christina-aguilera-style-marc-jacobs-ines-patchwork-bag/

Christina Aguilera Style: Marc Jacobs Ines Patchwork Bag

Filed under:Marc Jacobs Handbags , Celebrity Style

christina-aguilera-marc-jacobs-bag3.jpg

Christina Aguilera and her husband braved the paparazzi and headed out to lunch at Ivy in Beverly Hills over the weekend. Despite not announcing officially, rumors have been flying (along with the mouth of Paris Hilton) that Christina is pregnant. Smiling for the camera and even stopping to sign autographs, Christina Aguilera looked great in her white loose fitting dress while toting her Marc Jacobs Ines Patchwork Bag. She paired her sand patchwork tote with a colorful scarf to add a bit of pizazz. Bag available via Net A Porter for $1395 {also available in chocolate}

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go black, especially if you plan on carrying it for 10 more years! I have the black Marc Jacobs Stam bag and I''ve never regretted getting it! I kind of wanted white but I knew black would hold up so much better, and it still looks pristine after carrying it for 4-5 months straight last fall and winter. I''m going to bust it out again in a month or so and I can''t wait!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welllll...I would go black if it were the only color I could use my dd''s discount on, BUT, I would go peanut (even without looking I''m assuming it''s a neutral brown/beige) no matter what. I have a MBMJ Luxy Faridah hobo bag in chalk from last season that I bought solely to go with my ivory j.crew Lady Day Coat. I''ve used that bag with my coat, all during the summer with different outfits, and will use it (as well as the matching zip clutch) all winter long, and beyond. I LOVE winter whites, monochromatic outfits, etc. I also love knowing that everyone else is maybe a little afraid of ivory/winter white/getting it dirry to buy such things....so I buy them knowing this. I''m not worried about cleaning bills, LOL! I''d just rather have the colors I want no matter what season and the ivories really do stand out in the crowds of navies and blacks in the winter AND the summer, you''ll see. So go for the peanut, it goes with everything, especially a black or camel coat and boots....you''re gonna look gorgeous!

chicagohills

Rough_Rock
I totally agree with everything Monarch said. I also think the peanut color is very classy.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
I am going to go for it! Everyone at my office is teasing me--I wish I had never asked them cos they would''ve never known how much it cost, we are all a little behind in the fashion arena, and now I am going to feel self-consious. But I am getting the black and my DD is getting the peanut color, and she wants to borrow mine so I''ll get to borrow hers! So I guess I am getting both! We''ll pick them up tonight. I''ll post a picture later.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Can''t wait to see pics, HappyAnniversary!!!
36.gif
And hey, who cares if your co-workers know what the bag costs...it''s a great bag and they know you''re getting your dd''s discount anyway so it''s totally a justified purchase.
35.gif

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Well--its a done deal but not without its drama due to my waffling on the decision and the fact that drama just swirls around my DD''s life.

My son HATES IT! Hates the gold chains! Says DD is great at fashion but not at picking the right thing for the right people (me) He said ,"I hope you didin''t pay a lot for it)
8.gif
OMG if he only knew.

DD bought the one in peanut and we will be switching back and forth if I promise to treat the bags with loving care.

DH (who is also clueless as to its price and I will take that info to my grave if possible) said whatever you like is fine with me (Translation--(since I have been married 28+ years to him) He doesn''t love it, possible doesn''t even like it, but he doesn''t consider my handbag much of his business, so whatever makes you happy, honey, is fine.

I initially walked out of the store without buying it, but DD really worked at talking me into it and I am still not sure it was the best decision, but, hey, its only money, and I could probably re-sell it for what I paid for so I''m OK with it all. Not ecstatic, I am realizing this was much more my DD idea than mine. She is slowing molding me into a fashionista but it is hard work!

25DSCN3335.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! Where''s the emoticon of a jaw dropping?!?!
9.gif
I think it''s a gorgeous bag and I love the gold chain handles, so BAH to your son, hee hee. Fabulous, stunning, yummy...I''m completely envious.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Ah thanks, Monarch you are so sweet. I love my son, he''s 23years old and lots of silly fun--woke me up at 10am with a song about wakey-wakey-Time for eggs and bakey (bacon) but--I do appreciate his opinion because he always gives an honest one without being mean. I really am a very casually dressed person, so he''s a bit right--it doesn''t match me now--but hopefully will when I upgrade my clothing choices. He''s living at home for a few months after being out of state for a year so it is just a joy having him nearby. But YES--Baa on his opinion cos I can be that put-together woman with a Marc Jacobs handbag.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2007 8:08:35 PM
Author: HappyAnniversary
Ah thanks, Monarch you are so sweet. I love my son, he''s 23years old and lots of silly fun--woke me up at 10am with a song about wakey-wakey-Time for eggs and bakey (bacon) but--I do appreciate his opinion because he always gives an honest one without being mean. I really am a very casually dressed person, so he''s a bit right--it doesn''t match me now--but hopefully will when I upgrade my clothing choices. He''s living at home for a few months after being out of state for a year so it is just a joy having him nearby. But YES--Baa on his opinion cos I can be that put-together woman with a Marc Jacobs handbag.
Heck yes, you can be that put-together woman with a MJ bag!!! (also, hilarious that he woke you up with the wakey-wakey rhyme, I used to do the same thing to my roommates, sometimes I do it to my DH now, what can I say--I like the rhyme!) Anyway, I really do think this is a very attractive bag and the size is great too. Your DD would not have steered you wrong...likely she is seeing your potential from a different perspective and is hopeful that you will update your ''look'' a bit. You know, we ALL need that little kick in the keister every once in a while...
11.gif
9.gif

There''s nothing like seeing a well-dressed woman with a gorgeous bag on her arm/shoulder...and there''s also nothing like being that woman. A great bag just makes you walk a little taller and makes you feel like a million, kinda like a new pair of expensive shoes or a brand new car...but personally I think the right bag will last much longer with waaaay less maintenance!
36.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a little late to this party, but I must say:

1. I LOVE THAT BAG! It is absolutely fab!

2. I most definitely do not think it is silly to spend a lot of money on a bag. My bags bring me such joy...which is pathetic, I know, but I LOVE THEM! I feel infinitely more fabulous with a great bag on my arm, even if i''m just wearing yoga pants and a turtleneck!!

3. You totally deserve it! I am a firm believer that a good bag is a wonderful investment!

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Well, I have had the bag for about 10 days now and I LOVE IT. I am so glad I bought it. It is such beautiful leather and I love the design of it--places to zip up important stuff and the big open center to have easy access. And I do feel great even with jeans on when I carry the bag and when I was shopping at Neiman Marcus, a young SA said I love your bag--it''s a Marc Jacobs, isn''t it, and I got to say Yes, it is, my DD picked it out for me! I''ve never been complimented on my bag before (Duh!) they were ugly before--and beautiful now! and Monarch, Littlelysser, and everyone else, thanks so much for your encouragement!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeeeeeee....we toldya so, LOL! So glad to hear you''re enjoying your new MJ, happyanniversary, and getting tons of compliments on it! I agree with Littlelysser, a great bag can make you feel like a million bucks even if you''re carrying it while wearing sweats running mundane errands ''round town!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
The bag is gorgeous, elegant and classy! I want one too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results