shape
carat
color
clarity

Marble countertops etched

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somehow (thanks, DH) lemon juice was spilled on the marble in my bathroom. It's etched. Does anyone have a recommendation to polish it?? I may kill him! Ugh!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I am sorry @Gussie . I think it is one of the inevitable issues if one has marble and it's best to not stress about it. In Italy everyone has marble countertops and they don't worry about it. They eat and drink and live and really use their marble and the marks show it's been loved. But I do think you can get rid of the etching since it just happened and isn't a big area.

I did a search for you and maybe this will work for you.

When a polished marble countertop has only a few etch marks, it’s often possible to restore the shine for $10 $15 by rubbing with a soft cloth and a paste made of water and a marble polishing powder, such as Miracle Sealants’ Water Ring & Etch Remover or M3 Technologies’ Majestic Etch Remover. However, it can take several long minutes of polishing to treat a single etch mark.

and if you read the reviews here it looks pretty hopeful

Good luck!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! I don't know what to do about this but I feel your pain!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy. I am going to try the repolish stuff. I knew going into it that my husband isn't very aware. He isn't anal like I am, lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy. I am going to try the repolish stuff. I knew going into it that my husband isn't very aware. He isn't anal like I am, lol.

Yes same here. My DH is very much a neat freak but he warned me if we got marble he wasn't going to be wary of using red sauce, red wine, tomatoes, lemons, limes, etc. He needs to feel free to cook and experiment in the kitchen. Not the reason we ended up not getting marble because I wanted it anyway but the piece I wanted couldn't get here from Italy in the required amount of time. Long story and I wasn't settling re the marble. I wanted what I wanted so I opted for white quartz which I love. I am not into veins so I was super picky re the marble and it was hard (at that time) finding a non veiny marble I loved. I found one but it was in Italy!

Anyway as usual I am going off on a tangent. Good luck!

Burke

Rough_Rock
This just happened to my bathroom marble last week from acetone polish remover. I bought something off amazon called Lustro italiano etch remover. Worked perfectly on my white marble and only took a minute to fix it. I was so relieved as it looked absolutely awful!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Somehow (thanks, DH) lemon juice was spilled on the marble in my bathroom. It's etched. Does anyone have a recommendation to polish it?? I may kill him! Ugh!

what was lemon juice doing in the bathroom ? if i may be so bold as to politely ask (why don't the smilies work ) is there some beauty routine im missing out on ?

my OH once spilt lemon flavoured fizzy drink on his keyboard (the acid dissolved all the circuits)
So anything with lemon in is banned from being anywhere in our house but the kitchen and we have a beautiful lemon tree that's 8 or 9 feet high

i am sorry about your bathroom vanity top
i hope the suggestions provided work

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lemons from our tree are the size of large oranges. He had half of one and was squeezing it into tea. No idea why he had to do this in the bathroom!?! Probably some way to save 30 seconds in the morning. Ugh.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This just happened to my bathroom marble last week from acetone polish remover. I bought something off amazon called Lustro italiano etch remover. Worked perfectly on my white marble and only took a minute to fix it. I was so relieved as it looked absolutely awful!

Thank you!!!! Nice to hear it works. I am always leery of online reviews so this really helps! These tops are too expensive for me to screw it up even more!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad Daisy's asked about the lemon juice being in the bathroom, I was curious too!

In any case, I hope you find a solution that will fix up that marble good as new.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rub lemons over the whole surface so the whole thing is etched, then it will match and you won't have to baby it anymore ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie any update? How did it go? Hoping you have a success story to share with us.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie any update? How did it go? Hoping you have a success story to share with us.

I ordered the polish but it hasn't arrived yet. I will let you know! DH blamed it on the dog, lol.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Gussie I have marble countertops in my kitchen! They’re a different kind than the typical marble but they are polished and do etch..Are your counters honed or polished? Honed marble will just patina and you won’t see the etch after a while. Polished marble will always show the etch. There are companies that can come and repolish your countertops. They are expensive..but if it really bothers you then you may want to do it. Some people will do it every few years.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why I won't have marble. There is so much that does a great job of looking like marble that I said no to marble. my nephew has it all over his kitchen in Brooklyn NY and it is a mess, 3 daughters and 1 baby son, it looks beautiful but is a bitch to keep up unless one accepts like the Italians the beauty of aging marble.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is why I won't have marble. There is so much that does a great job of looking like marble that I said no to marble. my nephew has it all over his kitchen in Brooklyn NY and it is a mess, 3 daughters and 1 baby son, it looks beautiful but is a bitch to keep up unless one accepts like the Italians the beauty of aging marble.

I agree @Tekate I love marble but never again. In my other house I bought a marble look quartz. I love it and it’s easy care. Some of them don’t look real..so I looked for quite some time untiI found one that looked very similiar to marble. I only put it on my island in Maryland. I’m not doing the kitchen there for a while but hated my countertops..When I redo the kitchen there I’m getting the same kind of quartz.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie I have marble countertops in my kitchen! They’re a different kind than the typical marble but they are polished and do etch..Are your counters honed or polished? Honed marble will just patina and you won’t see the etch after a while. Polished marble will always show the etch. There are companies that can come and repolish your countertops. They are expensive..but if it really bothers you then you may want to do it. Some people will do it every few years.

Lol, after DH blamed the dog, he suggested just letting it be and appreciate the character of it. I think not! It looks pretty bad to me but honing the whole thing may look better.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol, after DH blamed the dog, he suggested just letting it be and appreciate the character of it. I think not! It looks pretty bad to me but honing the whole thing may look better.

I bought a piece of honed marble and use it as a tester in my other house. I make sandwiches on, a cup of coffee, etc. It will show a ring for a bit but eventually it disappears and it has a patina now. I LOVE LOVE LOVE white polished marble..but I would never do it again in my kitchen. I have bread boards and blotters to fix dinner on..I don’t worry too much anymore..They are gorgeous...but I still think it’s too much of a headache.

Q

Queenie60

@Gussie - I have marble and granite throughout my home. A marble refinishing person can come to your home and re-polish the stone, remove stains and make it look like new again. I have this done every two years. It is expensive but worth it to maintain the beauty of your natural stone. And be sure that they seal it as well. Sorry this happened but it can be fixed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results