shape
carat
color
clarity

Mangoes, is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I bought some magazine at the grocery store, and was reading about how healthy mangoes are for you, and also something about helping you to keep from gaining weight. Of course, I have no clue if that''s true, but thought I''d give them a try. I''d never been interested in trying one before.

So I bought one, and let it ripen, I thought. I now know it was still a tad green when I ate it, so dismissed the peculiar flavor. Bought some again, and definitely let them get ripe. I just ate one for brekkie. Both times, when I first get it in my mouth and start chewing, it has this almost medicinal taste. It only lasts a second or two, and then the sweetness kicks in. Is this how other people taste them? I''d like to eat them for the possible health benefits, but, they''re not so much fun as other fruits. I mean, fruit should be fun, right?
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
You crack me up Ellen. When I first tried them, it was in Hawaii. I had never had them before. DH and I thought they tasted weird at first. We kept eating them, then...... we were addicted. We couldn''t get enough of them.

I think you have to acquire their taste.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Well, I know the problem! You''re eating them wrong.

Mangoes are best enjoyed with warm sticky rice and coconut milk. That''s the problem. You''re lacking the right ingredients. Trust me, once you get everything together, they''re heavenly.

(They are a bit of an acquired taste. But it''s one worth acquiring! I
30.gif
a good mango.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t like fruit....
25.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 9:54:30 AM
Author: Lorelei
I don''t like fruit....
25.gif

GASP!!!! What do you mean, you don''t like fruit???????????? None at all?????????? Fruit is good for you

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2009 9:58:03 AM
Author: Linda W

Date: 7/15/2009 9:54:30 AM
Author: Lorelei
I don''t like fruit....
25.gif

GASP!!!! What do you mean, you don''t like fruit???????????? None at all?????????? Fruit is good for you
Well.....I don''t mind fresh strawberries with cream and sugar....But thats about all.
37.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Mangoes are sweet, that''s all, there shouldn''t be any medicinal taste to it. I give them to my little boys and they love it from the very first mouthful. How are you preparing it, may I ask? If you get the honey mangoes, they should be wonderfully sweet. We have lots of them here as we are in a tropical country, so they are constantly available and very cheaply too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I just LOVE mangoes! I''m a big fruit fan, I love all fruit with the exception of Duran (the smell is just insurmountable for me!)

Although, some mangoes are better than others, so maybe try a different type or different store? When I lived in thailand, I had at least 2 mangoes everyday! I also had it often with coconut sticky rice, yum yum!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I know quite a few people that say fresh mango tastes like pine! Luckily for me I don''t taste that at all - I gobble up all mangoes without hesitation.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
mangoes are YUMMY...try putting them in a blender with some ice and white bicardi rum. WOOHOOO

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must be eating them the wrong way, too, ''cause I can''t stand them. It''s a texture thing, I think. Must try Atroop''s blender recipe. Yum, rum!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I'm from Mexico, so I used to eat 4 mangos a day on summer
18.gif
, I just love them, here in NYC are quite expensive to eat four per day, but I treat my self with one
9.gif

If you are buying the big mangos, does are meant for juice, so you can blend them with water and honey, or with milk like a smoothie. They are very yummy. The smalls mangos I eat them just like a regular fruit.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 10:11:32 AM
Author: monarch64
I must be eating them the wrong way, too, ''cause I can''t stand them. It''s a texture thing, I think. Must try Atroop''s blender recipe. Yum, rum!

yes try it esp. on a hot day. I went on a tour of the Bicardi Rum factory in Puerto Rico and this is how they ended our tour..the Mango Rum drink. I can''t remember how many I had
31.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to try Trader Joe''s Mango Sorbet. That is supposed to be delicious. Everyone always raves about it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 10:08:35 AM
Author: atroop711
mangoes are YUMMY...try putting them in a blender with some ice and white bicardi rum. WOOHOOO
For breakfast?? Say, I think you and I would get along swell!
lol.gif
2.gif

Wow, thank you for all the replies! Who knew?

Ok, to answer some questions. I just peeled it and cut it up like I would a peach or something. Just plain. It's about the size of a decent apple, maybe a smidge bigger. Color is redish/orangey/greenish?

Linda, weird how? Can you elaborate?

princess, lol. I can well imagine the coconut milk would make it better.
18.gif
But that and the rice would cut down on the health factor.
2.gif

Lore, you, are a weirdo!
2.gif

Erica, interesting. Although, I've never actually munched on Pine, so.....
9.gif
But that tells me some are tasting something not so sweet too!
2.gif

monarch, I don't mind the texture, at least with these. Like a firm ripe peach to me?

So gaby, does it sound like I bought the wrong ones?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 10:25:13 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 7/15/2009 10:08:35 AM

Author: atroop711

For breakfast?? Say, I think you and I would get along swell!
lol.gif
2.gif

Wow, thank you for all the replies! Who knew?

Ok, to answer some questions. I just peeled it and cut it up like I would a peach or something. Just plain. It''s about the size of a decent apple, maybe a smidge bigger. Color is redish/orangey/greenish?

Linda, weird how? Can you elaborate?

princess, lol. I can well imagine the coconut milk would make it better.
18.gif
But that and the rice would cut down on the health factor.
2.gif

Lore, you, are a weirdo!
2.gif

Erica, interesting. Although, I''ve never actually munched on Pine, so.....
9.gif
But that tells me some are tasting something not so sweet too!
2.gif

monarch, I don''t mind the texture, at least with these. Like a firm ripe peach to me?

So gaby, does it sound like I bought the wrong ones?

LOL Ellen, Weird is my word for "strange". We thought they tasted strange at first. We had to acquire a taste for them. Have you ever tasted persimmons? That fruit is a doozy. I don''t care for it at all.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Ellen, did you get the large green/red mangos? Those are weird. I don''t like them at all. But maybe you want to try another type that looks like the picture I attached with this reply. They are a lot more smaller and skinnier and taste much much much better. http://www.simply-thai.com/fruit/yellow-mango.jpg

swl

Shiny_Rock
Linda, persimmons are my favorite! they are so juicy and sweet and soft~ yummy

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 10:29:44 AM

LOL Ellen, Weird is my word for ''strange''. We thought they tasted strange at first. We had to acquire a taste for them. Have you ever tasted persimmons? That fruit is a doozy. I don''t care for it at all.
lol No on the persimmons. Now I must try them....
9.gif

swl, yes, I bought the large green/red. I will look for the other kind. Thanks, especially for the pic, that helps!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2009 10:40:16 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 7/15/2009 10:29:44 AM

LOL Ellen, Weird is my word for ''strange''. We thought they tasted strange at first. We had to acquire a taste for them. Have you ever tasted persimmons? That fruit is a doozy. I don''t care for it at all.
lol No on the persimmons. Now I must try them....
9.gif

swl, yes, I bought the large green/red. I will look for the other kind. Thanks, especially for the pic, that helps!!
Blech! to persimmons....you persimmon lovers should come to the Persimmon Festival here this fall (9/26/09--be there, ha ha!)

I can''t stand them!

swl

Shiny_Rock
persimmons FESTIVAL?!!! where? where? gosh that''s like heaven! lol

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
i just bought 7 of them and they are sitting on the kitchen table ripening as we speak
18.gif
....i looooove them i peel, cut the sides and enjoy and i suck juices off the seed as well...mmmmm want. mango. now!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mangos have a clear turpentine-like taste to them. I love them. If I had to choose five things to be stranded on an island with they would be mangos, coconuts, avocados, immodium and sunscreen.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 9:52:45 AM
Author: princesss
Well, I know the problem! You''re eating them wrong.

Mangoes are best enjoyed with warm sticky rice and coconut milk. That''s the problem. You''re lacking the right ingredients. Trust me, once you get everything together, they''re heavenly.

(They are a bit of an acquired taste. But it''s one worth acquiring! I
30.gif
a good mango.)

OMG this one of my ALL TIME favorite desserts (also fantastic for breakfast). Seriously, I go out for thai just so I can order this dessert.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m assuming if you''re in the states you had the standard mango (see attached) that''s available in all grocery stores here. They definitely need to ripen a bit to really really get the full effect. But don''t let them ripen too much or they''ll turn to mush. They should be like an avocado when they''re ripe-they''re firm yet there''s some give to them. I have a special OXO mango cutter that I love. It makes cutting out the pit super easy and I peel them with a veggie peeler before I cut them. You can also cut them and then cut the flesh and turn the slices inside out.

While in Belize I had a black mango. They were a MUCH sweeter version of the ones we have in the states but similar flavor-wise.

mango images.jpg

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
When I was in Australia, I ate my first mango. They would cut around the pit/seed like an avocado and pull the two sides apart.

Then we would score the fruit like a tic tac toe board and then pop the fruit out (like hold it skin side down and push the skin up so all the little squares of mango-ey goodness pop out of the skin). Then we would just bite the little soft squares of lovelyness right into our mouths.

Like this

Mango

Ohh I love mangoes. Can't get good ones like that here - they are all stringy and gross.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Mmmm Mango.... Love them! It is hard to find decent ones though, and I hear you on the slightly astringent taste! I do find myself enjoying the mmore when mixed with other fruits!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 11:26:55 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Mangos have a clear turpentine-like taste to them. I love them. If I had to choose five things to be stranded on an island with they would be mangos, coconuts, avocados, immodium and sunscreen.
Ok, you people eating pine and turpentine need to seriously branch out in the foods area.
9.gif
2.gif

Mine was definitely ripe, texture was just like you said (in other post). I''m going to try to find the kind swl posted about and see how that goes....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I triple heart LOVE mangoes! Oh my gosh, they are so delicious. I don''t notice any of the other weird tastes anyone else has noticed, but I do plan on trying that yummy recipe. I normally just eat them plain.

As for persimmons, I''ve *wanted* to love them since I first read this poem in school, but I don''t. I just can''t. Don''t they *sound* delicious in the poem, though? It''s so seductive I may have to try a persimmon one more time, just to be sure.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it is almost impossible to get a decent mango outside of where they are grown. they must be picked unripe for shipment and after shipping long distances in who knows what containers at who knows what temperatures, i''m doubtful of being able to get a good one. even when i buy them here in california they seem "off'' even after if let them ripen on the counter. however, the ones i had in mexico last summer i couldn''t get enough of.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results