shape
carat
color
clarity

Man Told Women Not To Wear Yoga Pants

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Man Told Women Not To Wear Yoga Pants, So They Paraded Outside His House

https://www.buzzfeed.com/fionaruthe...paraded-outs?utm_term=.cvBZ5ENJao#.tuvk6WMwKN

Jamie Burke, a mother of two who lives in Rhode Island in the US, opened her local newspaper last week to find a letter to the editor asking women to stop wearing yoga pants because they are not flattering.

In response to the letter Burke organised a peaceful yoga pants parade in Barrington with the support of friends and family.
“Let’s take a leisurely walk through the neighborhood wearing our most comfortable pair of yoga pants,” a note on the event’s Facebook page said.

“This is not a hateful protest against Alan. This a wonderful group of people celebrating our bodies and our right to cover them however we see fit.”

Burke said local people donated enough toiletries to “fill a bus” to domestic violence charities, as well as several hundred dollars in cash donations.

The parade naturally ended with yoga. “Personally it was a perfect way to bring it all full circle,” she said.

Here is the letter in full:
To the editor:

The absolute worst thing to ever happen in women fashion is the recent development of yoga pants as daily wear outside the yoga studio.

Not since the mini-skirt has there been something worn by so many women who should never have it on in the first place.

From casual to formal, weddings, funerals, shopping, and even for the workplace, yoga pants are everywhere on women of all ages, usually paired with a blousy top and a pony tail hairdo. What a disaster!

Like the mini-skirt, yoga pants can be adorable on children and young women who have the benefit of nature’s blessing of youth. However, on mature, adult women there is something bizarre and disturbing about the appearance they make in public. Maybe it’s the unforgiving perspective they provide, inappropriate for general consumption, TMI, or the spector of someone coping poorly with their weight or advancing age that makes yoga pants so weird in public.

A nice pair of tailored slacks, jeans, or anything else would be better than those stinky, tacky, ridiculous looking yoga pants. They do nothing to compliment a women over 20 years old. In fact, the look is bad. Do yourself a favor, grow up and stop wearing them in public.

Besides, why would you want to wear something that’s seen on dozens of other women every day, everywhere? I thought women didn’t like doing that for obvious reasons. Yoga pants belong in the yoga studio. What’s next? Wearing a “Speedo” to the supermarket? Imagine if men did that. Yuck!

To all yoga pant wearers, I struggle with my own physicality as I age. I don’t want to struggle with yours. Thanks,

Alan Sorrentino

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
My home state.

And now the poor guy is getting death threats simply for posting his opinion.

Do I agree with it? Nope. But it is his opinion and he has a right to express it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1477508242|4090807 said:
My home state.

And now the poor guy is getting death threats simply for posting his opinion.

Do I agree with it? Nope. But it is his opinion and he has a right to express it.

Of course he does. If he were wiser, though, he wouldn't have done so in the newspaper. And if he had tried to publish that silly letter in a higher caliber newspaper, the newspaper would never have considered it for publication, thereby protecting him from himself.

Deb

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He probably should not have written to the paper about it if he did not want any attention. However he should not be getting death threats either.

I have my own opinions on what should be worn in public. I don't wear sweat pants off my property. The fact that some younger teenagers and others wear pj bottoms and slippers out to the store is not exactly a fashion statement but to each his own.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
To each his own on the clothes.

But I do agree that some women should look at themselves in a full length mirror both front and back to see if this is the statement they want to make.

My girls told me,in college, PJs were often worn to class as well.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the guy's an idiot, but I also think it's stupid to do a parade/protest about it.

The best defense against that would have been to ignore him, and continue to wear yoga pants.

ETA: I wish all those people would have gotten together and gone to help some animals...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
actually if you read the article the parade collected toiletries for domestic violence shelters as well as raising cash. What I find annoying is not that he said women shouldn't wear yoga pants, but that women older than 20 should not wear yoga pants. It's like, if it's a nubile young thing bring it on, but I don't want to see middle aged women wearing them in public.

I personally do feel that dressing has gotten too casual in public. But this editorial made me want to rock a pair of yoga pants in public in protest.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This obituary (excerpted) appeared in "The New York Times" this week. It seems singularly à propos.

Sandra Lee Bartky, at the Vanguard of Feminist Philosophy, Dies at 81

"By SAM ROBERTSOCT. 23, 2016

Sandra Lee Bartky, an influential feminist philosopher who argued that women were subconsciously submitting to men by accepting an unnatural cultural standard for the ideal female body — what she called the “tyranny of slenderness” — died on Oct. 18 at her home in Saugatuck, Mich. She was 81.

(snip)

Professor Bartky, who taught philosophy and gender and women’s studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago, contended that women suffered from self-loathing, shame and guilt — internalized oppression, she called it — fostered by cultural cues about their bodies that devalue them if they do not meet the prescribed standard.

Through the diminishment of dieting and by being undemonstrative, she said, women are encouraged 'to take up as little space as possible.'

'The body by which a woman feels herself judged and which by rigorous discipline she must try to assume is the body of early adolescence, slight and unformed, a body lacking flesh or substance, a body in whose very contours the image of immaturity has been inscribed,' Professor Bartky wrote in an essay published in an anthology, 'Feminism and Foucault: Reflections on Resistance,' in 1988.

She continued: or 'The requirement that a woman maintain a smooth and hairless skin carries further the theme of inexperience, for an infantilized face must accompany her infantilized body, a face that never ages or furrows its brow in thought. The face of the ideally feminine woman must never display the marks of character, wisdom and experience that we so admire in men.'

In her books 'Femininity and Domination' (1990) and 'Sympathy and Solidarity and Other Essays' (2002), Professor Bartky argued that women were also programmed to adjust their gestures, cosmetics, ornamentation and every other aspect of their appearance to comply with a dominant patriarchal power structure.

'These are not sexual differences, they are constructed,' she wrote. 'The disciplinary project of femininity is a "setup": It requires such radical and extensive measures of bodily transformation that virtually every woman who gives herself to it is destined to some degree to fail.'

Professor Bartky was a founder of the Gender and Women’s Studies Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago and a founding member of the Society for Women in Philosophy in 1971 — the year after Doubleday published a dissertation by Kate Millett, a freshly minted Ph.D., that became an important feminist study, 'Sexual Politics.'

Until then, similar manuscripts had been largely relegated to underground presses. But by the 1970s, the so-called Second Wave of feminism was surfacing.

In 'Toward a Phenomenology of Feminist Consciousness' (1975), Professor Bartky wrote: “Women workers who are not feminists know that they receive unequal pay for equal work, but they may think that the arrangement is just; the feminist sees this situation as an instance of exploitation and an occasion for struggle. Feminists are not aware of different things than other people; they are aware of the same things differently.”

Judith Kegan Gardiner, a former colleague at the University of Illinois, said Professor Bartky had 'inspired generations of feminist philosophers to understand oppression, femininity and domination.'

Professor Nicholson, who teaches history and women’s studies, quoted Professor Bartky saying, 'Clearly, if there were to be such a thing as feminist philosophy, we who are philosophers and feminists would have to invent it.'

'And invent it she did,' Professor Nicholson said. 'She described her own work as "a tale of the philosopher become exorcist of her own demons."'

Professor Bartky was born Sandra Lee Schwartz on May 5, 1935, in Chicago, the daughter of Dr. Harold Schwartz, an orthodontist, and the former Ruth Smith. (Her parents were both shot to death in their garage in 1980 in Highland Park, Ill., in a crime that appears never to have been solved.)

She received her bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She was hired as an instructor in 1963, was appointed a full professor in 1990 and retired as professor emerita in 2003.

(snip)

Evolving from a liberal to a radical, Professor Bartky applied a feminist lens to the French philosopher Michel Foucault’s vision of how society imposes its discipline over individuals.

'The transformation of oneself into a properly feminine body,” she wrote, “may be any or all of the following: a rite of passage into adulthood, the adoption and celebration of a particular aesthetic, a way of announcing one’s economic level and social status, a way to triumph over other women in the competition for men or jobs, or an opportunity for massive narcissistic indulgence. The social construction of the feminine body is all these things, but at its base it is discipline, too, and discipline of the inegalitarian sort.'

Men may sprawl when sitting, she said, while women typically sit with hands folded and legs pressed together, a tableau that is a vivid manifestation of that same disempowering discipline."

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the guy was asking for it, it's O.K for men to dress badly, man sprawl and leer at women like so many do but women in yoga pants is offensive? The guy obviously has too much time on his hands.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
He did follow up trying to explain it was a joke.

But in any case this guy was harassed with vulgar phone calls and death threats.

So what ever he said, he paid the price for it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's rank on the guys!!!

THE $#IT LIST FOR MEN'S FASHIONS!
1. Dressing like an 11-year-old boy in baggy knee-length shorts, a shapeless faded t-shirt, a baseball or trucker-style hat (extra points of turned backwards).
2. Man buns. 'Nuff said.Also comb-overs although we do sympathize, really we do. Dyed hair that is not ironic.
3. Facial hair that is not well tended to the point of being *curated*; you should spend more time on your beard and mustache than I do on my daily hairstyling.
3. Tank tops if you have 0 muscle tone, hairy shoulders, arm acne, or unattractive shoulders.
4. Cotten-poly-blend tissue-thin t-shirts if you have moobs (male boobs).
5. Flannel shirts unless you live in Seattle/Portland/Eugene or are a bona fide lumberjack (and then you're okay!).
6. Cargo pants unless your man-purse is at the cleaners.
7. Painter's pants unless you're a painter.
8. Pants that are size 36 when your actual waistline is a 38-40.
9. Anything older than 3 years ago UNLESS its cashmere; Levi 501s; or honest-to-God vintage.
10. Acid wash denim. "Fashion" ripped denim. NO NO NO.
11. Rented formal wear. JUST INVEST already! No one looks as awesome as a guy in a well-fitted tux/formal wear, you can be fat, un-buff, old, whatever but when you put on well fitting formal wear you look like James Damn Bond to us. Investing in formal wear is a great incentive not to gain weight through the years!

Please, add on to this list!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, exercised his right of free speech. He had an opinion about yoga pants and he expressed it. Good for him.

Others who disagreed with him also expressed their opinion, which specifically disagreed with his. Guess what. Death threats, generally, do not appear to be illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elonis_v._United_States

hahaha!!! That is what he gets. Yes, it upset some people. I wouldn't have bothered to issue him a death threat, but others who felt more strongly than I do apparently did, and they too have a right to express that. Apparently even death threats are probably allowed.

In truthfulness, it's a LOAD OF CRAP. I could just as easily write the exact same article about this guy's face if I happen to find it offensive. Should I tell him to stay at home and not let the world see it lest it offend everyone?

At my daughter's school, they have banned girls from wearing any tight pants, meaning jeans, jeggings, leggings, yoga pants, anything because they say it is distracting. This means I have to buy dresses for my daughter? OMG. What if the dress shows an ankle? THIS...IN CALIFORNIA. Why the hell are other kids staring at little girls' butts? That is the real problem. If your kid cannot focus in school because he/she is staring at girls' butts, your kid needs some professional help, or you are doing a sh**ty a$$ job as a parent. Yes, I'm a little riled about this.

The adult version is ridiculous. And if anyone carried out the threat to this guy, I would just chalk it up to Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. If you are stupid enough to write an article about that, the law of the jungle apparently will kick in and eliminate you from ever or further reproducing to pass on your idiot genes.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1477526059|4090943 said:

1. Dressing like an 11-year-old boy in baggy knee-length shorts, a shapeless faded t-shirt, a baseball or trucker-style hat (extra points of turned backwards).
2. Man buns. 'Nuff said.Also comb-overs although we do sympathize, really we do. Dyed hair that is not ironic.
3. Facial hair that is not well tended to the point of being *curated*; you should spend more time on your beard and mustache than I do on my daily hairstyling.
3. Tank tops if you have 0 muscle tone, hairy shoulders, arm acne, or unattractive shoulders.
5. Flannel shirts unless you live in Seattle/Portland/Eugene or are a bona fide lumberjack (and then you're okay!).
9. Anything older than 3 years ago UNLESS its cashmere; Levi 501s; or honest-to-God vintage.
11. Rented formal wear. JUST INVEST already! No one looks as awesome as a guy in a well-fitted tux/formal wear, you can be fat, un-buff, old, whatever but when you put on well fitting formal wear you look like James Damn Bond to us. Investing in formal wear is a great incentive not to gain weight through the years!

No problem:

12. Basketball shorts. I can literally see your penis bouncing around in them.
13. Sweatpants. See above.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm afraid I am going to have to object to #5. Flannel shirts are part of the way of life for some of us here in Connecticut (where I live) and Maine (where my best friend lives). I don't think she wants her husband bare chested in the winter there. Also: I have a few flannel shirts myself and I have given a number of awfully nice ones (plaids) from Vineyard Vines to my father. The flannels come in all different weights, you know, and thread counts.

Deb :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

12. Why limit it to clothing? Anything less than the soloflex man with his six-pack abs is UNACCEPTABLE. Didn't you watch Avengers? Make Thor your role model. Get to the gym. Lose that paunch. Otherwise, it is offensive to mine eye. Get thee indoors and venture out never more!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1477532519|4090991 said:
http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/criminal-threats.htm#

Death threats are not illegal. Oh, really?

Ruby, I'm not an attorney so I'm not gonna argue about it. I'm just making a comment based on the above case that I found as ruled upon by the Supreme Court.

You can believe whatever you want. I'll do the same.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1477531713|4090984 said:

No problem:

WORD!!!!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1477531905|4090986 said:

I'm afraid I am going to have to object to #5. Flannel shirts are part of the way of life for some of us here in Connecticut (where I live) and Maine (where my best friend lives). I don't think she wants her husband bare chested in the winter there. Also: I have a few flannel shirts myself and I have given a number of awfully nice ones (plaids) from Vineyard Vines to my father. The flannels come in all different weights, you know, and thread counts.

Deb :wavey:

:lol: :lol: Deb, it's West Coast outlook on my part, consider flannel shirts allowed if you wear them more than getting in/out of your ride AND your ride must have mud or salt corrosion on it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1477532150|4090989 said:

12. Why limit it to clothing? Anything less than the soloflex man with his six-pack abs is UNACCEPTABLE. Didn't you watch Avengers? Make Thor your role model. Get to the gym. Lose that paunch. Otherwise, it is offensive to mine eye. Get thee indoors and venture out never more!!

Are you allowing for Botox, fillers, and other enhancements???

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1477531309|4090981 said:
Yes, exercised his right of free speech. He had an opinion about yoga pants and he expressed it. Good for him.

Others who disagreed with him also expressed their opinion, which specifically disagreed with his. Guess what. Death threats, generally, do not appear to be illegal.

hahaha!!! That is what he gets. Yes, it upset some people. I wouldn't have bothered to issue him a death threat, but others who felt more strongly than I do apparently did, and they too have a right to express that. Apparently even death threats are probably allowed.

In truthfulness, it's a LOAD OF CRAP. I could just as easily write the exact same article about this guy's face if I happen to find it offensive. Should I tell him to stay at home and not let the world see it lest it offend everyone?

At my daughter's school, they have banned girls from wearing any tight pants, meaning jeans, jeggings, leggings, yoga pants, anything because they say it is distracting. This means I have to buy dresses for my daughter? OMG. What if the dress shows an ankle? THIS...IN CALIFORNIA. Why the hell are other kids staring at little girls' butts? That is the real problem. If your kid cannot focus in school because he/she is staring at girls' butts, your kid needs some professional help, or you are doing a sh**ty a$$ job as a parent. Yes, I'm a little riled about this.

The adult version is ridiculous. And if anyone carried out the threat to this guy, I would just chalk it up to Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. If you are stupid enough to write an article about that, the law of the jungle apparently will kick in and eliminate you from ever or further reproducing to pass on your idiot genes.

LLJs, I agree with you. 12 years in teaching. You had to concern yourself with some of the other kids' parents and also other teachers (pedophiles gravitate to occupations with access to kids) when it came to keeping kids safe. This is why I love uniforms for students. So many reasons I support school uniforms. Would you be okay with unis?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No problem:

14. Anything that shows butt crack when you bend over, really we don't want to see it.
15. Jeans that hang so low that it shows your underwear or pubic hair, see comments for no.14.
16. Mullet hairstyles (it's an Aussie thing look it up).
17. Socks and sandals
18. Man bags that look like ladies purses. A leather briefcase is cool a handbag that looks like a handbag isn't.
19. Lack of personal hygiene in public places, if I have to explain it to you then yes it probably means you need to work on it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1477535550|4091005 said:
LLJsmom|1477532150|4090989 said:

Are you allowing for Botox, fillers, and other enhancements???

No, artificial enhancements are not permitted. Show some integrity. Work for it. The world must run by what does and does not please me. What were the famous last words?

"I struggle with my own physicality as I age. I don’t want to struggle with yours." I agree!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1477535801|4091006 said:
LLJsmom|1477531309|4090981 said:

LLJs, I agree with you. 12 years in teaching. You had to concern yourself with some of the other kids' parents and also other teachers (pedophiles gravitate to occupations with access to kids) when it came to keeping kids safe. This is why I love uniforms for students. So many reasons I support school uniforms. Would you be okay with unis?

I am ok with uniforms actually, but probably for different reasons. Sorry to derail this thread. It's a whole other topic.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1477537614|4091010 said:

No problem:

14. Anything that shows butt crack when you bend over, really we don't want to see it.
15. Jeans that hang so low that it shows your underwear or pubic hair, see comments for no.14.
17. Socks and sandals
18. Man bags that look like ladies purses. A leather briefcase is cool a handbag that looks like a handbag isn't.
19. Lack of personal hygiene in public places, if I have to explain it to you then yes it probably means you need to work on it.

Oh, Arkie! I'm from the Southern part of the U.S. We have mullets here, too. On men and women. Some people even perm the back half.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore yoga pants to lunch today and I'm a damn near 40 year old woman! I wear whatever the fark I want :dance:

I also wear pajama pants to Starbucks. I'm a big fan of that.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1477546979|4091038 said:
I wore yoga pants to lunch today and I'm a damn near 40 year old woman! I wear whatever the fark I want :dance:

I also wear pajama pants to Starbucks. I'm a big fan of that.

:appl: :wavey:

Fellow legging/TIGHT PANTS wearer here, close in age! Nice to meet you; come share a cup of nasty woman coffee with me ANYTIME.

We brazen hussies really have to stick together these days. We can't be upsetting any lady's man while she's in a twinset and pearls! My goodness! What will the neighborhood think of our cameltoes and improper posture??? I mean, I get bent out of shape when my Ariats are not polished or my jodphurs are bunched up my butt! God save the queen if I lose a pearl earring! My husband would just KILL me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0koQGXUyZc8

I mean, really??? How is it that women were ever ALLOWED to wear pants, anyway? It must have been one of those astonishing miracles of science!

:bigsmile:

Yo, humanity? I'll wear whatever the hell I please. Thanks a pantload, Allen Sorrentino. You just scored yourself another middle-aged yoga/legging pant wearer. Awwww the sadness that is your mood when being FORCED to look at my old, saggy, cellulite-ridden Spandex and cotton-clad ass. I hope your partners or wife never has to see your old wrinkly balls in the light of day. Muah! :wavey:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
arkieb1|1477537614|4091010 said:

No problem:

17. Socks and sandals

I just have to respond to some of these right now:

1. That basically IS my style; knee length black or camouflage shorts, black band shirts and truckers hats or my UFC hat backwards :lol: :lol:

3. When it grows as fast as mine it goes from neat to 'what is that tickling my nostril and the back of my eyeball?' within 3 days

The second 3. Damn, better get rid of the singlets then to hide the arm acne. And do big arms only count if they're flexed? :lol:

6. Wait until you're at a heavy metal gig with your wallet, wife's purse, 2 phones, 2 packs of smokes (not anymore), $200 worth of merchandise and the flask of bourbon you snuck in. Then tell me how bad cargo pants are!

8. I am the opposite; 36 pants when I am a 32-34 but that's due to losing weight so let me off this one :bigsmile:

9. I have band shirts that I still wear from gigs in 2006 :errrr:

11. Yep, my tuxedo t shirt is the best investment ever. Literally works with a pair of jeans and chucks at formal events :lol:

14. See my explanation for #8

15. Again, #8 :lol:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, I would gladly get my old azz into some Batman pajama pants and have a coffee with you any time :lol:

The horror!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1477561410|4091071 said:
Monnie, I would gladly get my old azz into some Batman pajama pants and have a coffee with you any time :lol:

The horror!

I'm in, with my flannel penguins and polar bears, and omg...wait for it...Birkenstocks and running socks. Just milk with mine please. Cheers!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results