shape
carat
color
clarity

Man, this is harder than I thought

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our youngest started kindergarten this morning. The really messed up thing is I've been looking forward to this all summer, I teased the kids that I was going to go to Dave and Busters to play all the games their first day of school, lol....they knew I was kidding.

I managed to make it through the whole drop-off without incident and then as I was looking through the pictures I took there was this one :cry2:

I'm sure this gets easier but today is tough!

IMG_6336.JPG

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big hugs, sweetheart! It definitely does bet easier, but be gentle with yourself.

When my youngest started school I felt completely bereft. After 7 years of being at home with babies, I cried every day & by November I was feeling quite down. That was when I got myself a little job at a local High School, term time only for 2 hours a day. I think this was my saviour. I made new friends that were not baby group related & it kept me busy. I did 2 years there before my daughters' Primary School (Kindergarten) approached me, so I then retrained & moved there, where I am about to start my 2nd academic year next week. It works for me & fits around my morning running etc, as again it's 2 hours per day, term time only. It's a fabulous school & I know I will stay there long after my babies have left for High School. My eldest is about to start Year 6, so will be moving on after this year & I will start the grieving all over again. I can't bare the thought of her not being little anymore.

Parenting is tough, but look on the positive side: you are doing a great job & he looks like a gorgeous, happy little boy. Big hugs & keep your brain busy until the new routine becomes normal.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Alex T, I know this is good for him (and me) it's just a huge transition as you know. I'm glad you were able to find work and made some new friends! I most definitely will be looking for a job but I figure I want to give it a couple of weeks to make sure all is running smoothly first.

One benefit is my kitchen is super clean today lol!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Alex T, I know this is good for him (and me) it's just a huge transition as you know. I'm glad you were able to find work and made some new friends! I most definitely will be looking for a job but I figure I want to give it a couple of weeks to make sure all is running smoothly first.

One benefit is my kitchen is super clean today lol!

Haha! This was me! The point that I decided I needed to find a job, was the evening when my husband came home & declared he felt like he had stepped through a portal into the world of bleach as the smell increased every day! You'll adjust, but give yourself time.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my son started school when he was 4, I dropped him off, ran to the car thinking “I’m free!’ I’m beginning to think I was a bad mother :lol:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He looks happy. Count your blessings!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol-2: @Austina, not at all, I think I felt that way with the first!

@rocks, he was excited to go and he didn't cry so you are right it could have been much worse!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a photo like that of my daughter on her first day of Kindergarten-- the cheerful good-bye wave back as she got on the bus.

When she graduated from college I glued the photo on the inside of the greeting card we got for her. When she saw the photo, she cried!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:praise:Ah that is a great idea @pearlsngems, I honestly only thought of it when other parents were taking pictures of their kids walking away!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I drop my daughter off at daycare every day and she walks in, lets go of my hand and never looks back. She would probably jump out of the car all excited if she was big enough lol

When kids start school its a sign of them getting older and time just not slowing down, its sad that our babies have to grow up

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
He's precious! What a great day-I hope he enjoyed it! When my fifth(final) went to school, I was generally happy:wavey:. More ME time, new hobby(tennis!) and a generally clean house. I am a working mum post-divorce, when many my age are approaching retirement, I will be working for 15, as my last two are in middle school and high school finally. It's the moments you treasure, and you had one today. Big (((hugs)))

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww, you both will be OK!
He's a big boy now, and super cute!=)2

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He looks happy. Count your blessings!
Yeah, Our DD#1 cried everyday for the first two months in kindergarten.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson, so true about time, can't believe how fast it goes especially with two!

@pinklemonadegurl, wow five! You get major respect from me and having to go through a divorce, can't imagine. He did have a great day although he needs to work on writing his name, he is left-handed so it's been hard for me to teach him but he'll get there.

Aw thanks @stracci2000 big boy and super cute but still freshy fresh! We were having a conversation about disabilities before school started and I told him that he needs to be careful about asking about differences because it could make someone sad. So I said: "wouldn't you be sad if you had one arm and someone made fun of you?" His response? "I would just slap them" :eek-2: Keeo in mind he would only have one arm to fight with! He is a handful!

@Gussie I need to be friends with her...and I need a pool. Goals! :mrgreen2:

Oh @Dancing Fire that is the worst when they cry, I expected some tears since I've been home with him but I guess he was sick of me and ready for a change lol!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Big hugs, you are not alone. I have found the milestone moments much harder with my youngest. I think that it is the realization that these are the "last firsts" if that makes sense. He started middle school this year and while he was excited, I was and still am a wreck.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @StephanieLynn, Your son is adorable and he looks so happy!!! I’m sorry it was a rough day. Could it also be because he is the youngest that this is hitting you hard?

My grandniece started kindergarten two weeks ago and my niece felt like you do. It’s an emotional day. Those first five years fly by. My niece said she hadn’t realized how quickly until she left her at her classroom. She got teary as soon as she left the school.

Maybe next year you will be ready to celebrate the first day at school LOL.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why? @Dancing Fire was her teacher a liberal? :lol:
Nahhh, not as many crazy liberal teachers back then in the early 90's. I guess she was just shy. No problem with DD#2 when she started kindergarten. She waved goodbye to us and then walk straight into her classroom.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re really blessed to have had 7 years. Lots of people did not have the stay at home option.

It’s a new phase of life. You’ll face new challenges now. Good and bad. It will all be ok.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nahhh, not as many crazy liberal teachers back then in the early 90's. I guess she was just shy. No problem with DD#2 when she started kindergarten. She waved goodbye to us and then walk straight into her classroom.

Of course she was shy. It's fun to bust your balls sometimes. I'm always happy to hear your daughters and grandchildren ( you have 2 now, right?) are doing well.

Have I made it into your will yet? I've been so nice to you over the years...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course she was shy. It's fun to bust your balls sometimes. I'm always happy to hear your daughters and grandchildren ( you have 2 now, right?) are doing well.

Have I made it into your will yet? I've been so nice to you over the years...
3 grandkids within 22 months. :bigsmile: DD#2's baby girl was born last month. She now have one boy and one girl. DD#1 will only have one girl.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Octo2005, Have to be honest I did not expect to get sentimental but I think you're on to something with the youngest, it seems to be even more pronounced. Maybe because we know this one really is the last one so that realization makes it even more profound.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Calliecake, I definitely think it was easier going through these things with the older one because it wasn't definite that would be the last time, but now it is. Your niece is so right, the years go by quickly!

@LLJsmom, yes I realize I have been very fortunate to get to stay home with both kids, a lot of sacrifice and hard choices have gone into that but I wouldn't change anything. It's also worth noting that being home for 12 year has a significant impact on future employment as well as retirement so there are some drawbacks to that decision.

He had a good day at school and is excited for his second day so that is a definite plus!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He looks so cute! Be happy that he's ready to go. It does get easier. Next thing you know, you'll be like this lady!

tmp_Px8Bpb_51b0f5281aa23726_20621868_10155620012838221_8441048709213905973_n.jpg
First Day of School pic from IG

OMG, this picture :lol:. @StephanieLynn I'm sorry you're having struggles with this - I don't have children, but most of my friends and all of my family members do. They all struggled with this also - if it makes you feel any better, my sister's youngest is about to go off to 2nd grade, and she REALLY is looking forward to them going back to school. I think you'll come to appreciate it eventually - big hugs.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait till they go to college, not only do you feel the way you do, you feel petrified and full of fear of the unknown.

I cried when both my kids started kindergarten but I have to say, I didn't cry as hard as my #2 and last went. Do what I did, I got a white wine bottle and sat on the stoop in front of my house and waited for the bus! he's thrilled I'm sure.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait till they go to college, not only do you feel the way you do, you feel petrified and full of fear of the unknown.
Yup, my wife cried when we dropped her off ,then DD calls at 3:00 am crying. It took her like a week to get used to college life.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @violet3, you know today wasn't as bad, it is still a little strange to be alone but overall I feel better.

@Tekate, college, don't even want to think about that. See this is why there should be a truck called Wine on Wheels or heck Wino Wheels, wine delivery service for the tough times! :lol-2:

@Dancing Fire, I know college is a tough transition on everyone, glad we have a few years until that milestone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results