shape
carat
color
clarity

making soy milk

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just skimming through the chocolate milk thread and saw an interesting post about soy milk.

For those of you who make soy milk at home, how difficult is it? How is the quality?

We use soy milk at home and I''ve only found one that won''t curdle in my coffee. I''d love to know more about this.

Any tips or advice you would like to share would be great.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never made soymilk, but my mom does on occasions. It involves soaking the soybeans overnight, removing the skins, grinding the beans with water, straining and then boiling the soymilk. If you are planning to make it regularly, I suggest getting a soymilk maker (just make things faster). Then you can flavor the soymilk. Homemade soymilk has a stronger bean flavor than store bought ones.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info. I''ll have to look into a soymilk maker.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I''m a soymilk drinker as are most of my family, I''ve never tryed making it but have tryed enough of them to know which are suitable for hot drinks. SO and I prefer the purple "Vitasoy" ( I think that''s the calcium rich one) to use in hot drinks.

I know Australia and New Zealand get Vitasoy but I don''t know if it''s anywhere else.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
4ever, we get Vitasoy in the States as well. it''s delicious!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
We used to make it at home when I was growing up. But it was more of the Chinese soy milk variety than the grocery store soy variety. Much like qtiekiki said

soak the soy beans overnight so they get soft. squeeze the beans out of the skin (it was really fun for us kids when we were making it). blend the beans with water. varying from qtiekiki, I think we boiled the water & "whey" first, then we squeezed them out with a cheese cloth. Add sugar or whatever.

ETA: just checked with my dad, we drained before boiling...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results