shape
carat
color
clarity

Making M color diamond look whiter

Travelgirl

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have a beautiful 3.78 carat princess cut ring. It is an M color and I can detect the slight yellow tint in certain light. I was wondering if setting a sapphire under the diamond would make it appear whiter. I've also heard of coatings that can be applied - any idea on where I could get something like that applied.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! Just for future reference, questions about diamonds and settings goes in the Rocky Talky part of the forum. Show Me the Bling is really to show your finished jewelry pieces. You can click Report Concern and ask the moderator to move it.

I have never heard of anyone here getting their diamond coated to make it look whiter. I think that would likely scratch and be a mess. The only safe thing I know of that can make a low color stone look whiter is to set it in 18k yellow gold, and then it will look whiter in comparison to the deep yellow. But if you have it set in white metal, I do not believe you are going to be able to make it look less tinted. An M is just going to show color.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
M color is beautiful. It is a warmer stone but beautiful. It will never appear white however so I hope you can find a way to embrace the gorgeous color and be happy with its warmth.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Travelgirl- I've never heard of such a thing... and I've been doing this over 40 years.....

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
Maybe have set in unplated white gold or maybe yellow gold? But unplated white gold will look warmer and won't be such a stark contrast next to it as regular white gold would be... Sounds like you have an awesome huge stone though!! It is beautiful I'm sure!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results