shape
carat
color
clarity

making decisions based on ring, not diamond... bad idea?

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Someday I want to have an EC in a twist shank pave setting. I know you're supposed to get the diamond first, then the setting to fit it, BUT, I found the setting I want at a small fraction of the price on Ebay! I've noticed this setting is hard to find inexpensively, so I'm afraid the opportunity will pass me by if I don't get it now. The listing says that it can be made to accommodate whatever size stone you'd like. I plan to first set it with a .5 ct EC and upgrade later. Could I possibly order this setting for a 4x6 mm with no diamond in hand, buy a diamond to fit later, then alter the head later to fit a larger stone once I can upgrade? Would you buy the setting now if you were me or wait? VerragioInsigniaEC.jpg P.S. The actual setting I'm considering is a Verragio look-alike, not actual Verragio.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
hmm I would wait for some of the experts BUT I don't think that setting could fit different sized diamonds?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you would be stuck with extremely expensive repair costs if you went with a diamond of different size. Unless it is an incredible deal on a VERY good quality setting I wouldn't take the risk.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320766796600?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 This one would be worth the risk, for example, it is genuine because it's a 4 or 5k setting and you wanted a round. But that one... not so much.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
slg47|1318218133|3036891 said:
hmm I would wait for some of the experts BUT I don't think that setting could fit different sized diamonds?
Yup. I don't think this type of setting is a good candidate for upgrading the stone. At all.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1318220932|3036901 said:
I think you would be stuck with extremely expensive repair costs if you went with a diamond of different size. Unless it is an incredible deal on a VERY good quality setting I wouldn't take the risk.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320766796600?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 This one would be worth the risk, for example, it is genuine because it's a 4 or 5k setting and you wanted a round. But that one... not so much.
$4 or $5k?! You know, maybe it's just my perceptions, but I feel like prices on settings have changed dramatically in the past 5 years. And it's not just materials prices.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Gypsy, that setting is TDF! I've noticed from other threads that you're so skilled at finding things on Ebay to help people. I actually would like to have an Emerald Cut, though, not a round. The setting I'm considering comes with a matching band and is $500, as opposed to the $2500-3k Verragio price tag. But, if expensive repairs will come as a result of upgrading, I'm not sure it's worth the headache. I wonder if there is any style of twist shank pave that could be altered later, but perhaps that's not realistic. Thanks again. :)

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
daintyG|1318221740|3036911 said:
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Gypsy, that setting is TDF! I've noticed from other threads that you're so skilled at finding things on Ebay to help people. I actually would like to have an Emerald Cut, though, not a round. The setting I'm considering comes with a matching band and is $500, as opposed to the $2500-3k Verragio price tag. But, if expensive repairs will come as a result of upgrading, I'm not sure it's worth the headache. I wonder if there is any style of twist shank pave that could be altered later, but perhaps that's not realistic. Thanks again. :)
It is definitely possible, but you need to be looking at the head for one that could be replaced with a very different stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1318220932|3036901 said:

I misspoke. I meant that if you wanted a large round this one would be worth the "risk" of putting the setting before the center because it's an otherwise expensive designer setting and the price it is offered at in that listing is a good one. Even if it didn't work with an upgrade you could probably recoup your losses pretty well by reselling it. KWIM? But because you want an EC and the way that head is integrated, and since it's not a designer setting... not worth it in my opinion.

MissStepcut... if that setting is authentic then it's about 4,000-5,000 Michael B is high end designer and very expensive. He's been expensive since I first got engaged --- 12 years ago. I badly wanted his "Lace" setting for my engagement ring but it wasn't in the budget unless I went with a much smaller center, not a sacrifice I was willing to make. Nothing much has changed in the last five years with his line when it comes to prices. More of the same.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results