shape
carat
color
clarity

making an offer, need ps fairy dust!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
omg. we have decided to make an offer on a new home. we''ve been searching for a while now and finally decided to take the plunge. we''re drawing up the papers tomorrow. the home is a spec house, and it''s the last one available in this cute new neighborhood in a VERY growing city. the slab has only been poured so we **should** be able to make some decisions regarding colors and whatnot. and we''re upgrading to wood floors.
36.gif

urgh, i''m SOO super nervous. i''m really worried someone has already made an offer. so, i could really, really use some ps house vibes!!

i can''t believe how STRESSFUL house hunting is!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sending positive vibes your way. What an exciting time this must be for you guys. GOOD LUCK, and may the PS fairy do her magic!!!!
36.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Sending good luck vibes your way!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
How exciting!!! Wishing you the best of luck!

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Sending all the positive vibes I can muster for you! How exciting, the fairy tale wedding and now your first home that you get to help design! Hoping for the best for you.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Best of luck, JCrow!!!! How exciting! I hope everything goes well and you get this house!!
36.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck J!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I will cross my fingers! House buying is fun and nerve wracking. Keep us posted and post pics!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thank you everyone!! hehe, i figured the ps fairy worked for the wedding and we had a fabulously clear & sunny day! oh, i hope it works for this too!!

no pics yet, but i can do a little discribin''
9.gif

it''s a 3 bed/2 bath home. it has all the features we were looking for. large master bathroom with a 6'' whirlpool tub, linen closet, separate shower, a large closet. large kitchen. we get to chose white or black appliances or upgrade to stainless steel. there''s a coat closet, separate utilites room, storage in the garage. double sided fireplace between the living and dining room. the kitchen opens to the dinning room. kitchen has a pantry and possibly a desk (they weren''t sure). ceramic tile in kitchen and utility room and bathrooms. carpet in bedrooms. wood in living and possibly dining. fenced in yard. corner lot. road is a cul de sac.

it would be our starter home, but IF we need to stay longer, it''s in an excellent school district.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck JCrow! It sounds lovely!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
heee heee. That is why you asked about the open kitchen. I love my open kitchen. Your future house sounds so beautiful! Fingers crossed.
36.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
yep, that''s exactly why i asked. and i''m sure i''ll have lots more questions!!
this isn''t the floorplan we''d have chosen, but it''s all that''s left in the neighborhood we really wanted.
well, technically they have a handful more lots but they are holding on to them for a while. prices are insane and keep goin'' up! we figured it''d be best to buy now rather than wait a round hoping to get in to this area- and pay more for it!!
we''ll make do. ah, hopefully. IF we get it!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck jcrow!! it''s so much fun buying your first place together, hope you get it!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
A new house is very exciting! Good luck -- sending good vibes your way!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Sending good luck fairy dust your way!!!!!!! Try to enjoy this special time. We went through something like this a year ago when we bought our new home. The development released a few houses at a time and you had the option to buy based on your position in the "priority list" In a nutshell, first to qualify for the loan amount is the first to choose your lot and house...And so on. After 3 mos of attending phase releases every two weeks (you had to be present to stay on the list) we were finally #60. I didn''t even bother to go that week as we had family in town and I didn''t think we''d get one. All of a sudden, DH called and said, "Uhhhhhh...I just bought us a house." Anyway...I''m rambling now...Good luck Jcrow. You two are smart to think ahead about schools. Many people don''t and are stuck when their kids are school age. Years go by faster than you think sometimes.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
yeh, we found a home with a better layout, though less closets in a different area. it would have been great, but only short term. the schools there weren''t that great. and that area is stagnant. we both really liked it, but i just kept thinking what if we HAVE to stay? and don''t have the option to move? we''d have the bad schools. no they''re not horrible, but not what we''d want. if we *get* the route we are going, we''ll have at least the ability for better schools. best in the area i think.

see what''s going on is that lots of new neighborhoods are popping up in several places. these home look very similar and have the same 5-8 or so floorplans. the really good thing about the neighborhood where we''re putting in an offer is that a part of the neighborhood has MUCH nicer homes. it really the only one that it is this way. the other neighborhoods have all the same price range homes.

what''s super crazy is that we saw what the home with the better layout in a less desirable school district was purchased for. it was completed in march of 06 and if they get what they are asking they are going to rake in $20k. that''s nuts.

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
Good luck!

On another note, will someone please come buy my parents house? Its a beautiful, renovated home in a desirable town and neighborhood, and no bites. Its been 18 months on the market. The price is at an all time low for a few days now. The market is terrible!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow, where do they live?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2007 11:26:43 PM
Author: Fashionvictim
Good luck!
On another note, will someone please come buy my parents house? Its a beautiful, renovated home in a desirable town and neighborhood, and no bites. Its been 18 months on the market. The price is at an all time low for a few days now. The market is terrible!
It's so random...there was the prettiest little house up for sale about a mile from us, within this really desirable neighborhood where we always go walking, totally remodeled, SO CUTE inside, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1850 sq ft, huge lot and really beautiful roman looking exterior...it dropped almost $100k before it sold and that took about 8 months. We walked by it ALL THE TIME. I loved it and was really tempted esp after it dropped $75k where it was in our 'comfort' price range...but I think the reason it took so long was because it's on the corner of a semi-busy street...that is what kept us from really considering it. But the longer it was there, the more I thought about it. Then one day it had sale pending and now new owners are there!! But 8 months and $100k. You could tell a ton of love went into re-creating the house and all that, I was so sad for the little house. And it was empty the whole time, so you know that the people had already moved on and bought something else kinda thing...which I thought was sad too because they were probably paying double mortgages! I thought it was really odd that it just being a corner house on a busy street was enough to drop it $100k and sit on the market for so long. There was another house that I remember a few blocks away that was a corner on the same street and it sold within 2 months...again beautiful renovated and stunning outside. Sometimes it seems so random.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 1:10:40 AM
Author: Mara

Date: 1/7/2007 11:26:43 PM
Author: Fashionvictim
Good luck!
It''s so random...there was the prettiest little house up for sale about a mile from us, within this really desirable neighborhood where we always go walking, totally remodeled, SO CUTE inside, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1850 sq ft, huge lot and really beautiful roman looking exterior...it dropped almost $100k before it sold and that took about 8 months. We walked by it ALL THE TIME. I loved it and was really tempted esp after it dropped $75k where it was in our ''comfort'' price range...but I think the reason it took so long was because it''s on the corner of a semi-busy street...that is what kept us from really considering it. But the longer it was there, the more I thought about it. Then one day it had sale pending and now new owners are there!! But 8 months and $100k. You could tell a ton of love went into re-creating the house and all that, I was so sad for the little house. And it was empty the whole time, so you know that the people had already moved on and bought something else kinda thing...which I thought was sad too because they were probably paying double mortgages! I thought it was really odd that it just being a corner house on a busy street was enough to drop it $100k and sit on the market for so long. There was another house that I remember a few blocks away that was a corner on the same street and it sold within 2 months...again beautiful renovated and stunning outside. Sometimes it seems so random.

Its really all about location....When we were buying our condo, our realtor really emphasized the location thing...she would totally deter us form buying anything that was not in an ideal spot...Especially with townhomes/condos, where privacy is lacking anyway....

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jcrow - good luck vibes coming your way!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks everyone. i didn't get a wink of sleep last night!
14.gif

and when i did i was dreaming about houses and floorplans.
38.gif

we let the builder's rep know last night that we're making an offer today. at lunch i have a meeting with the realtor to draw up papers.

i think we can upgrade to granite counter tops. it'll be a few thousand extra. think we should upgrade?? or keep the ceramic tile?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 9:39:37 AM
Author: jcrow
thanks everyone. i didn''t get a wink of sleep last night!
14.gif

and when i did i was dreaming about houses and floorplans.
38.gif

we let the builder''s rep know last night that we''re making an offer today. at lunch i have a meeting with the realtor to draw up papers.

i think we can upgrade to granite counter tops. it''ll be a few thousand extra. think we should upgrade?? or keep the ceramic tile?
Yes please upgrade if it is in your budget! You''ll hate all that grout with the ceramic tile and the granite is good for resale. Hope things go well with your offer.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
Sorry you didn''t sleep. When we were house shopping, the same thing happened to me. It''s all I could think about. Since then we''ve almost bought a new custom home about a dozen times and backed out, and regretted it each time, so stay strong!

About upgrading, it really depends on how the company you''re working through does things. If you can pay out of pocket for upgrades, and it''s not more than cost/labor if you do it on your own, go for it. But if it raises the house price, you''ll be paying mortgage on those counter tops, and in that case, I would not.

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Definitely upgrade! If not for resale value alone. A couple thousand extra now will yield even more when you go to move. Just don''t let them suck you into a whole lot of upgrades, I have heard some builders are notorious for that. Good luck with the papers today. Hope you get an answer soon!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 9:52:12 AM
Author: colorkitty
Sorry you didn''t sleep. When we were house shopping, the same thing happened to me. It''s all I could think about. Since then we''ve almost bought a new custom home about a dozen times and backed out, and regretted it each time, so stay strong!

About upgrading, it really depends on how the company you''re working through does things. If you can pay out of pocket for upgrades, and it''s not more than cost/labor if you do it on your own, go for it. But if it raises the house price, you''ll be paying mortgage on those counter tops, and in that case, I would not.
it works both ways for the upgrades. initially you pay out of pocket. but when you get financed, you have the option to get that cash back and roll that payment into your loan. of course, i''d hope to pay out right.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 9:52:38 AM
Author: Mokey
Definitely upgrade! If not for resale value alone. A couple thousand extra now will yield even more when you go to move. Just don''t let them suck you into a whole lot of upgrades, I have heard some builders are notorious for that. Good luck with the papers today. Hope you get an answer soon!
i think the only upgrades we''ll do is the wood flooring and maybe the granite counters in the kitchen. we can also upgrade to stainless for a few hundred dollars (bundle price NOT per appliance). not sure if we''ll go the stainless route. i know it will look nice, i just don''t want to have cleaning nightmares.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the crazy thing FG is if the house had just been like 2 houses into the street away from the busy corner, i would have been in that house in a flash. it's just so sad to think that the corner (which isn't THAT bad) was why it didn't sell for so long, but honestly that is what kept ME from knowing it was our dream house and probably a bunch of others too!

our townhouse location is pretty desirable, we are the only unit in the whole complex with the view of the park and downtown that we have. kind of the way our townhouse is situated, through a break in the other houses down a street kinda thing. we didn't buy it because of that but it worked out great. the other one that was available was on the corner of the entrance, and we figured it would way more trafficy (and it is). also we have an end unit so that's a perk too. so i guess we lucked out house wise...also our unit looks into really no other units except for one which is probably the best scenario, the other ones all packed in look into each other on all edges.

when i was thinking of going to look at that house, my dad made a comment that totally stuck with me. he said 'if its this hard for them to sell, in 10 years it will be just as hard for you to sell'...i was like yikes! 8 months on the market and dropping 100k down from a somewhat reasonable starting price? no thanks!! i mean who knows what the neighborhood/street/house will be like in 10-20 years anyway but his point was valid for sure.

another thing for townhouse condo is that the middle units of the buildings (5 townhouses on each building) are taking 2-3x as long to sell as end units. because there are so many more of them, it's way more competitive. i am really so glad we didn't get an inside unit and it wasn't that we didn't want it for resale, we just didn't like their layout as much.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG so exciting jcrow! I really hope this works out for you guys - fingers crossed here and I can''t wait to hear updates!!

The house sounds amazing, especially the dual-sided fireplace - I think those are so awesome
36.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks AG. i''m so freakin'' nervous. in 20 minutes i''ll be doing all the paper work for the offer.
please please please let us get it
5.gif
that''s all i keep thinking!!
4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results