shape
carat
color
clarity

Makeup sticker shock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
I think I am just in sticker shock after a trip to the Bobbi Brown counter yesterday. My friend is doing my makeup for my wedding and she suggested Bobbi''s products and MAC products. I am the type of girl who buys makeup from CVS and spends very little per year (mascara, eye liner, face powder...thats it!)

Yesterday we did a trial run and I LOVED how it looked....the makeup stayed flawless all day. I guess that is a perk of buying good stuff. I am just wrestling with the money I spent.
I bought
a compact foundation,
bronzing powder
3 eye shadows
mascara
the cream shadow primer stuff
eye brightener
shimmer brick compact for cheeks
5 different brushes

Yesterday I saw it as an investment in my makeup future (especially the brushes) but today I woke up saying "What the F%%$! did I just do?"

I think I just need some reassurance that expensive makeup is worth it in the long run....I dont wear much makeup now, but do want to use quality stuff for my wedding. Plus, I''m hoping that if I have this stuff, maybe I will actually use it on a regular basis - it sure did look nice.

What are your experiences with higher end makeup / brushes?
Overpriced or well worth the investment?
Its not too late for me to return some...I havent opened them

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I Love Bobbi Brown and consider it worth spending money on, because I think their colors are great (and I don''t have allergic reactions to their products). But I''m learning to say "no."

I stopped by the Bobbie Brown counter on Saturday for a lipstick...I walked away with a lipstick, lip-liner and gloss. $64.

Okay, but business is slow, and the woman tried to sell me concealer, "corrector"? (both for the blue under my eyes), blush, eye shadow, and mascara. Once she''d applied the lipstick she insisted on finishing my face. It looked great. I wanted everything - but it''s too much money for me to justify spending all at once.

I actually love their mascara, but $22 is more than I''d care to spend -- especially since you''re supposed to throw it away every 6 months to avoid eye infections. Mascara is the only makeup I''ll buy in a drugstore, so I suppose I''m used to department store makeup prices.

But for wedding makeup? Think of it this way - I''m paying someone $250 to do my makeup, and I don''t get to keep any of it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Bobbi Brown. I have not bought MAC but my little gel eyeliner and creme shadows I have had over a year so if you spread out the cost over the months it does not seem as much. I love Bobbi Brown brushes too. Yay for new makeup!!!!!!!!!!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I used to always buy cheap stuff in the drug store but I was never really satisfied and was always looking for something different. After finding Smashbox and MAC, I can''t get anything else! I still use drug store foundation because it really looks good and I''m too lazy to find something else ... but otherwise I spend the big money. Really, once you have a base of good products you don''t need to keep going back and spending more; you can just replace them as they run out.

I do think you get what you pay for and while some of the high end stuff might not be worth quite what you''re paying for it, I can assure you that it''s worth a lot more than the cheap stuff for a good reason in most cases.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Higher end make up is definitely worth it. I use (for the most part) Benefit make up and it''s totally worth the price. It lasts longer, the colors are usually better and for a wedding? It''s a no brainer.

From what you listed, I can see you using this stuff whenever you go out. Probably except the foundation. It''s not like you bought crazy colors or anything. Re: foundation, I bought one and I hardly use it. BUT when I want/need it (e.g. formal event/wedding etc) I can''t substitute with just pressed powder.

And I agree with skip, Yaaay new makeup!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Is the makeup an investment in your future? No. It's makeup, it cannot be more than what it is. It's not going to show a return and it's going to expire in any number of months. But, it's fun...it makes you feel good about yourself, and that's worth something. Everyone deserves a treat now and then.

Counter cosmetics are better than drug store makeup on any given day. The basics are just plain different. You're paying for what you get. Counters cosmetics use a higher ratio of pigment to filler...they have a great quality control procedure in place...they aren't creating multiple batches at a time, meaning you'll get more consistancy in your products from purchase to purchase.

The brushes? Good investment. If you care for your brushes -- meaning you clean them, dry properly, store them accordingly -- they will last you a great number of years. I know a MUA who have had a few of his brushes for 20+ years...that's incredible. So, care for them and they will last.

My general philosophy with makeup is along the lines of how you'd view your wardrobe...have some things that timeless, really great quality and have other things that you'll power through, trend pieces that are interchangable and not crazy expensive.

My splurges are:
an eyelash curler--mine is handmade
bronzer--used properly, it can last for 2 years
primer--its like having the proper foundation for your house, you just cannot be without it
brushes--mine are actually insured

My savers are:
shadow--I buy MAC or take from our warehouse
foundation--same thing as above

tlh

Ideal_Rock
What are your experiences with higher end makeup / brushes?
Overpriced or well worth the investment?
Its not too late for me to return some...I havent opened them
I LOVE THEM. I dont wear a lot of makeup. I do like to play up the eyes though. THE BRUSHES ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY. I don''t really wear much on the mouth though... I drink too much and hate red rimming the glass.
But I totally say they are worth it... even w/covergirl brand makeup... I quite prefer the maybelline mascara - now they actually have some w/ good applicators.. and the makeup isn''t that bad either... when applied correctly with a brush.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a good investment. Usually, as someone said, things don''t run out all at once and you can replace as needed. They tend to last a long time, too. I usually don''t wear make up on weekends, which helps it last longer...

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 1:23:25 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Is the makeup an investment in your future? No. It''s makeup, it cannot be more than what it is. It''s not going to show a return and it''s going to expire in any number of months. But, it''s fun...it makes you feel good about yourself, and that''s worth something. Everyone deserves a treat now and then.

Counter cosmetics are better than drug store makeup on any given day. The basics are just plain different. You''re paying for what you get. Counters cosmetics use a higher ratio of pigment to filler...they have a great quality control procedure in place...they aren''t creating multiple batches at a time, meaning you''ll get more consistancy in your products from purchase to purchase.

The brushes? Good investment. If you care for your brushes -- meaning you clean them, dry properly, store them accordingly -- they will last you a great number of years. I know a MUA who have had a few of his brushes for 20+ years...that''s incredible. So, care for them and they will last.

My general philosophy with makeup is along the lines of how you''d view your wardrobe...have some things that timeless, really great quality and have other things that you''ll power through, trend pieces that are interchangable and not crazy expensive.

My slurges are:
an eyelash curler--mine is handmade
bronzer--used properly, it can last for 2 years
primer--its like having the proper foundation for your house, you just cannot be without it
brushes--mine are actually insured

My savers are:
shadow--I buy MAC or take from our warehouse
foundation--same thing as above
Italia - what is your favorite primer?

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I buy a few products from the makeup counters mostly because I have seen a difference between these and the drug store:
Eyeshadow primer (urban decay)
Eyeliners (urban decay)
Concealer (Clinique acne solutions)

My drug store buys:
Loose powder
Foundation
Mascara
Eye-shadows (with the UD primer they wear the same as the counter brands)
lip gloss/lipstick

Overall I think like Italia... that there are a few products that I splurge on and give me great return for the money (meaning performance and lasting) and then I supplement with drug store products so the sticker shock isn''t so bad...

One thing though... the brushes that you bought will last you almost forever if you take care of them properly. About 5 years ago I finally "splurged" on a $30 powder brush (which is still relatively cheap) and it is still going strong.
Don''t feel bad about your purchases, they will last you for a while and you will get enjoyment out of them
1.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I have used Prescriptives forever and love it. It makes me happy and makes me feel good when I look good and I find that the better quality makeup lasts longer and looks better on me. I also make my purchases on-line and Prescriptives many times has specials. A couple of weeks ago I had a 30% off my total order, plus free shipping and handling and when I bought 2 eye colors I got 1 free, plus a free samples when I order (free mascara thsat I use when I travel or a lipgloss, etc).

It doesn''t cost me a fortune when I know which products and colors work well on me because I am not throwing products out. I can always try new colors at the counter and for creams or foundations they many times let me have a free 10 day supply for home.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer, I love Paula Dorf Primer on me. Its great with my skin type...it doesn''t make me feel tight or dried out...and it has the right "sticky" consistancy to really lock that makeup on and make it stay. I also really like the way it reacts on the skin...it smooths out in such a way that when foundation is applied over it, it gives a photo-finish airbrushed look without actually airbrushing. As a matter of fact, I actually love all of Paula Dorf''s rimers from skin to eyes...she makes great under-cosmetics.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of primer before! What does it do? How do you apply it?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s worth it because it lasts FOREVER! Seriously, I''ve had the same mac eyeshadows for about 3 years now and they''re a long way from finished.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 2:25:52 PM
Author: Maisie
I''ve never heard of primer before! What does it do? How do you apply it?
Primer helps makeup--like foundation or shadow--adhere to the skin better and last longer.

Skin primer can come in different forms...sometimes they are liquidy, other time creamy. You apply it to the whole face...like a lotion...wait a minute or two until it becomes "tacky" and then you apply your foundation.

Eye primers typically looks like a concealor, kind of heavy and lighter than your natural skin tone. Apply it on top of your base right before shadow, and it help the powder cling better. This is a fantastic product for anyone who feels like their eye makeup wears off really quickly.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 2:32:03 PM
Author: Porridge
I think it''s worth it because it lasts FOREVER! Seriously, I''ve had the same mac eyeshadows for about 3 years now and they''re a long way from finished.
You just brought up a really good point...makeup does expire.

On MAC products, look for the little flipped open jar symbol is a number and letter...that will show you how long the maximum use of the product is recommended.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought...

Aveda Translucent Loose Powder
Bobbi Brown Lipstick
Armani Lip liner
Mac Eye Shadow
Bobbi Brown Blush
Clinique Mascara
Laura Mercier Eyeshadow Primer
Some French Brand of liquid black eyeliner.

For my wedding (and for another one I attended as a guest). I wear.... the lipstick and the mascara and the Shadow primer (can be worn alone) only now -- but only like 3-4 days out of 7 in a week. I've always bought 'nice' makeup, but sparingly. Do I think of it as an investment? Yes and no. I never get to the end of ANYTHING I buy except mascara, and after a few months you have to throw things out anyway because of germs. So... if you keep wearing it, great. If you don't... meh.

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much for these great responses, everyone! I think this is my first time posting in the "hangout" forum (usually I am just in the wedding one.)

I am starting to feel better about it. I think one of the problems was buying it ALL at once. i probably wouldn''t notice the final cost as much if I just bought a little at a time, but getting EVERYTHING at once just made the total ridiculous (for me not being used to spending that kind of money on makeup.)

I love the advice about taking care of the brushes- knowing that they can last a long time makes me feel better about spending the money on them.

i appreciate your help a lot, ladies! Thank you! :)

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 1:23:25 PM
Is the makeup an investment in your future? No. It''s makeup, it cannot be more than what it is. It''s not going to show a return and it''s going to expire in any number of months. But, it''s fun...it makes you feel good about yourself, and that''s worth something. Everyone deserves a treat now and then.

I really like this response.... And it''s totally true. Unless you are 100% destitute, on the street, can''t pay for food, etc, etc, etc.... the occasional, expensive splurge is not so bad. If you feel that you spent too much, just skip a dinner or two out, pass up a hair appointment, a pair of shoes, etc.

You really loved the way you looked & you can have a lot of fun recreating new looks with the same products.... I''m sure you totally deserve it! (And it''s totally better for you skin, btw... meaning... ''snazzy'' makeup v. cvs)

The downside? It''s difficult to return to less expensive brands
3.gif
Because of my law school student status (aka: poor) I''ve been using drugstore brands (though I still get Smashbox primer...) and tooootally miss my Dior mascara & Stila eyebrow powder. Such a vain little thing (& a makeup whore) I am
12.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Well, I have a huge collection of high-end makeup, so I''m biased. But I really do find it to be worthwhile - I''m able to use my high-end stuff every day, I find the colors and textures to be far superior to stuff I get at the drugstore, and it also lasts longer.

If the money is really an issue for you (i.e. money is tight), I have two suggestions:

1. consider spending less on trendy stuff, like brightly colored eyeshadows and lipsticks, and more on basics you''ll wear every day, like foundation, neutral shadows, basic blush, etc...

2. check out this website for reviews of high- and low-end makeup and ideas of what lower-priced products might be worth investing in.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

BB has lovely products--and their gel pots for eyeliner last on your eyes where other products fade during the day. Some lovely nail polishes. I am in love with YSL products and they are costly also--but their mascara is devine--where I''ve bought other products for a less--they just don''t apply the same.

Brushes are worth it. Period.

BTW, just cause the make up lasts forever doesn''t mean you should keep it that long. I thought a general rule of thumb was app. 1 year after opennig. Bacteria etc, etc....

cheers--Sharon

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 2:58:42 PM

Date: 4/7/2009 2:32:03 PM
Author: Porridge
I think it's worth it because it lasts FOREVER! Seriously, I've had the same mac eyeshadows for about 3 years now and they're a long way from finished.
You just brought up a really good point...makeup does expire.

On MAC products, look for the little flipped open jar symbol is a number and letter...that will show you how long the maximum use of the product is recommended.
Well if we don't use MAC, how long do the basics last?? I usually throw things out after a year and mascara sooner (approx 4 mo from opening).

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 9:42:36 PM
Well if we don''t use MAC, how long do the basics last?? I usually throw things out after a year and mascara sooner (approx 4 mo from opening).

I''ve had mixed experiences with how things last. For liquids, like foundations, generally not more than a year. But I have had some eyeshadows much longer than that. In general, I watch for any change in color or texture, and also try to be aware of any change in smell - these are both good indicators that the product might be past the end of its healthy usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results