shape
carat
color
clarity

Makeup experts, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
I''m having the hardest time deciding between to highly recommended MUAs in the Bay Area. I''m quite the novice when it comes to makeup, so need some help deciding what to do!

Both women have rave reviews all up and down the internet, so I feel confident that either way I go, I''m in capable and professional hands. They both have a reputation for being very responsive, friendly and go out of their way to meet their clients'' needs. So no discrepancies there.

So the main differences between the two are 1) price and 2) one of them (the one with the lesser fee) only does traditional application at this time, no airbrushing.

I was hoping to be able to have airbrushing as an option since I''m worried about it smudging or getting onto my dress or other people. Also, since I don''t normally wear makeup, I notice even the lightest application on my face after a few hours. Not enough that I can''t bear it...but I once had airbrush done and loved how it felt. Also, most importantly, I just want it to look good in person and in photos. However, the woman who only does traditional says that the foundation she uses is very lightweight and long lasting and she does apply a sealant that should keep it from smudging. Her fee is also only $225 and includes a trial. Since she''s close to our venue, I also wouldn''t have to pay travel fees.

MUA #2 does offer airbrush, but her fee just for day of is $300, plus $75 travel to my location. When I was first looking up MUAs in the Bay Area, hers was one of the first sites I came across and I balked when I saw those fees! Well, now that I''ve done a bit more research, sadly, it''s apparently not so out of the norm for this area (still unbelievable to me). She only books 6 months out, so I wouldn''t have a chance to do a trial with her. I''m actually fine with that since I''d save $200, plus she''s good enough that I''d just trust myself to her on the day of.

So I guess my dilemma is if I should go ahead and schedule the trial w/ MUA #1 during our trip in August and hope I like the traditional application? Or, if not, then I book MUA #2 once it''s 6 months out, assuming someone else doesn''t grab her first. But then I''d be out $100 trial fee w/ MUA #1 (normally applied as credit to the day of).

Here are their websites for portfolio comparisons:

MUA #1: Glowing Bridal
And here are pics that one of her clients shared on theknot (I couldn''t tell from the initial photos whether she was done or not, and I thought it looked a little too natural...but then I got to the pics after she was really done, and it was like "Wow!":
http://picasaweb.google.com/elena.hutchison/GirlsGettingReady/

MUA #2 (her images are more pro, so try not to let that persuade one way or the other): Professional Makeup Artistry

What do you guys think? Would I be in good hands either way (in which case I should just go w/ MUA #1?)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like MUA 1''s portfolio.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Professional Makeup artistry. I've only seen raves of her on the knot (look up yelp too for reviews) and she stays with you all day for touch ups (which for the same price many won't, including mine) plus she's supposed to be very nice. And my photographers HIGHLY recommended her, and I've seen knot wedding photos from her weddings and liked what I saw. Quite the price difference between the two though.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I really like the second one looking at the photo''s she does have a certain style but she definitely brings out the best features in the girls she posted :)

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I have some advice that might help. It is my own experience that the spray on makeup (air brushing) is better suited for flawless skin. If you have large pores then forget it!!!! I just had it done recently by our best of the best.....and while the effect was amazing because of the standard of the work, my skin looked awful. Every pore was magnified 100 times, especially in the closeup photos. I also looked like I was definately wearing makeup, although I didnt mind that if it meant the photos would be better.

So maybe research this aspect because I might be the only one to have found this to be true. But for me the airbrushing was not successful. Of course it might be the foundation used rather than the airbrushing, but I haqve never had this happen before!!!!!

buttercup80

Shiny_Rock
I really liked #1''s portfolio better - she seems to have more variety experience in terms of brides with different hair and skin tones. Just looking at the pics posted, #2 has mostly brunette brides. Just MHO.

calidaisy

Shiny_Rock
i think it also depends on your ethnic background.
i liked glowingbridal''s make-up on caucasian women while i thought PMA did a (much) better job on asian faces.

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input!

Sounds like preferences are mixed between the two. I also got some additional feedback from a another client of MUA 1 who said she had no issues w/ the traditional application.

(Sharon, thanks for sharing your experience w/ airbrush. I''ve only had it applied once as a trial at a beauty day event and I''d also forgotten my camera, so I didn''t notice that very closely. I just remember that it felt nice when they applied it to my face).

Sooo...given that it seems I''ll probably get good service either way, I think I''m going to go ahead and book a trial with Glowing Bridal and see how it goes. I''m trying not to get too caught up in letting myself spend "just a little more" just b/c it''s a wedding, since all that "little more" really adds up in the end!

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i had airbrush makeup for my wedding. my skin is not flawless but it is pretty ok. it's a bit dry though. for the first trial (for our engagement session) she used non-water based product but it seemed to accentuate some of the creases on my face. for my wedding she used waterbased product and it worked really well. i think it depends on your skin.

be sure to hydrate and moisturize though from now to the wedding. it makes a big difference on how the makeup stays on. for some reason my skin was really dry and even hydrating wasn't helping so my makeup person recommended trying la mer. it worked wonders!

i would never have bought this before b/c of the price but i just got samples and they lasted for the month that i needed it. then since it did such a good job, i ordered trial sizes off of ebay and i use it once a day (too expensive for me to use it twice).

i think the sunbathing that i did in my teens did alot of damage to my skin and the la mer has helped heal and moisturize it. you can't tell that i have dry skin though.

for PMA - how many hours are they there for you? if it is the whole day then $375 is actually pretty good. and all of the extra help PUA provides does help out alot on that day.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Boy I wish I would have known that! I think mine''s bailing after she does all of our hair and makeup. It would be nice to have her there after the ceremony for touchups. I should ask her what she charges for that!

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 2:29:23 PM
Author: ringster
i had airbrush makeup for my wedding. my skin is not flawless but it is pretty ok. it's a bit dry though. for the first trial (for our engagement session) she used non-water based product but it seemed to accentuate some of the creases on my face. for my wedding she used waterbased product and it worked really well. i think it depends on your skin.

be sure to hydrate and moisturize though from now to the wedding. it makes a big difference on how the makeup stays on. for some reason my skin was really dry and even hydrating wasn't helping so my makeup person recommended trying la mer. it worked wonders!

i would never have bought this before b/c of the price but i just got samples and they lasted for the month that i needed it. then since it did such a good job, i ordered trial sizes off of ebay and i use it once a day (too expensive for me to use it twice).

i think the sunbathing that i did in my teens did alot of damage to my skin and the la mer has helped heal and moisturize it. you can't tell that i have dry skin though.

for PMA - how many hours are they there for you? if it is the whole day then $375 is actually pretty good. and all of the extra help PUA provides does help out alot on that day.

Ooh, that's good to know about La Mer. I've wondered if it really lived up to the hype. I'll have to see if I can snag some free samples from somewhere :)

PMA stays I think up to 3 hours...basically gets you ready for the ceremony then touches you up afterwards and then they take off, so it wouldn't be the whole night. I thought that was a nice pro for them, but then my friend pointed out that I'm probably not going to need much touching up after only an hour or two, especially if all I'm doing is going up and down the aisle. Lipstick will probably be the main thing that needs a touch up, but that's something I could easily do myself or have a BM help with. So, while it is nice that they offer that, it's not necessarily a deal breaker for me.

Also, MUA 1 charges I think $100 to stay an extra hour if I needed her to. That would bring her cost to $325, which is still less than MUA 2's fee.

dutchflowers

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am using Audrey from glowing bridal for my wedding. I''ve had two make-up trials with her and she''s been great. I have mediocre skin and am not used to wearing make-up and she has really worked with me to find a look that makes my skin look flawless and is within my comfort level. Plus, her application of fake lashes was fantastic. I had lashes miles long.
31.gif

I haven''t posted the details of my wedding yet but I am in SF and am getting married in Calistoga.
9.gif

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results