shape
carat
color
clarity

Makeup--DIY vs. Makeup Artist

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
Have any of you ladies decided what you''re going to do? I used to work at a makeup counter so I know I can do my own, but I was thinking maybe it would be nice to splurger--plus I don''t know if I want the stress of having to do it myself.

Also, has anyone tried airbrush makeup, and if so, did you like it?

SAPHIRINA

Rough_Rock
My mother is a make-up artist and does weddings regularly; the brides were all very happy with her work. I am still deciding what I should do about my make-up - either do it myself, or have my mom do it. I learned a lot from her over the years, so I can do my own just fine, but like you, I don''t know if I want to deal with the stress on the day of the wedding. On the other hand, I like doing my own make-up and I also want my mom to be able to take it easy and get ready without having to rush.

If my mother wasn''t a make-up artist, though, I definitely would want to do my own. I just don''t feel like I would be able to entrust it to someone else to do exactly what I want.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
I did my own make-up. I dont wear that much makeup and I still wanted to look like Me, if that makes any sense, rather than a fully make up version of me. My DH doesnt like tons of make up, so he really didnt want the magazine cover make up look, just what I wear when we go out or to a special occasion.

in the end, decide what look you are after .. good luck

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I have been doing my own makeup forever and consider myself pretty good at it however, the day of the wedding I did not want the stress. I hired someone and I am so glad that I did. I asked her to contour my face as well so that it would show up in pictures and I loved, loved, loved my makeup. I am so picky about it so I can''t believe how much I loved it. Also, I had airbrush. I loved the finish of it. It was super light, stayed put all day without a touchup and was picture perfect.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Although i am good at doing my own makeup, i don''t know how to do makeup that looks good in photos, which is why i chose to have a makeup artist do it, and i am so glad that i did. There is NO WAY i could have made myself look that good on the day. I consider her to be the best investment that i made for my wedding.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I rarely wear makeup and even then keep it to mascara. DH likes me without it too.

I hired someone as I felt they would do a better job, it would be less stress and I did not want to buy new stuff that would be wasted. I asked her to keep it very natural looking and shed did. I looked like me all the way...only a bit more done up. No mask look! That was very important for me as I just do not like makeup much or to feel like it is wearing me!

It was well worth it!

My sister has had airbrushing for her portfolio and it looks great in pics but I did not see it in real life. She also wears makeup a lot more than I do anyway.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I''m having this dilemma too.
If I do my own make-up I will be getting new products since what I use right now isn''t really "picture" make-up

If not, I have no clue where to even start looking for someone else to do my make-up
33.gif

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
I''m hiring someone to do airbrush. I''ve had my trial and just loved the light feel of the airbrush makeup!

I wear makeup every single day, but I dont know how to apply it so that it will last, and I dont know how to apply it so that it looks great in photos. I also wanted to spoil myself a little.

My whole wedding party and mom and FMIL will be getting makeup done at my parents house before the wedding so I''m excited that we''ll all be together and relaxed while we get ready.

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies...I had a trial done which I thought went ok...but I don''t think it was *exactly* what I wanted, so I was trying to decide if my control freak personality was going to force me to do it myself. But you all are right--I should let someone else do it, and just make sure the makeup is done right so that I''m satisfied.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did it myself just because I wasn''t really thrilled with any of the trials. I also don''t wear much make up on a regular basis, and didn''t really want to start on my wedding day. I decided it would be less stressful to do my own make up than to hire someone only to be unhappy with it, and do it myself anyways, lol. I''m really kind of picky about my face
3.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I just had my makeup trial and loved how I looked, so I''m definitely using a makeup artist on the day of. She''ll be around to do the bridesmaids and mothers as well.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
I am terrible about putting on makeup (honestly, i pretty much wear mascara and thats it) so i am having a good friend do my makeup. She is not professionally trained, but she is AMAZING at it. I''d much rather have someone i am close to do it, so then i am more at ease.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I''m having a pro do my makeup. I''m very good at applying, however, it''s one less thing to do day of, and I didn''t want to be bothered with having to worry about having all of my tools/colors/etc.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
I did my own makeup, because I''ve been doing it for years and know very well at this point what works for my face and what doesn''t. Additionally, I didn''t want to pay extra for something I knew I could do just as well as any MA.

It helped relieve my nervousness, too! Not only did I do my own makeup, but I did the makeup for two of my BMs :)

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''m probably going to do my makeup or have my sister do it, who is also very good with makeup. The only thing I''m slightly nervous about is makins sure that it lasts through the day as I''m not sure how good I''ll be about doing touch-ups. Which makes me think that I might want to do a professional airbrush person. But I''ll probably still do the family option. But we''ll see.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve worked in television for a decades so I had to learn to do my makeup and be good at it, and I''ve done it for more than 10 decades and have always gotten complements. So knowing how particular I am, I was concerned that even a professional wouldn''t get it right (or the way I want). I decided to take the chance with a trial and boy was I floored. It made such a difference because I truly got a MUA who is good. Also, I think on my wedding day, it will be nice to be pampered and sit back while other people help me get ready.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I''m doing my own make-up, nails and hair and am really happy about it. For some reason, I tend to get professionals trying to pressure me to do a style different to the one I want them to do for me and that tends to be way more stressful than just doing it my way myself. But maybe that''s just my control-freak side? Dunno.
3.gif

I''ve done a practice run of all three today for the big day on Friday and am really happy--I''ve kept it simple (eye shadow, brown eye liner, mascara, lip gloss & liquid-to-powder foundation), so it''s easy enough for me to do and true to how I usually look--just amped up slightly.
2.gif
Yeah, there will probably have to be a touch-up or two, but I don''t mind. Gives me a good out to escape and have a few minutes to myself!
12.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did my own, because I am pretty good at it.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I ended up choosing to do my own makeup for my wedding (I also used to work at a makeup counter, so I knew what I was doing).

I had gone to Bobbi Brown at Bloomingdales in NYC for a professional trial application, and I left looking like a garish clown. Instead, I just used a heavier hand so that my makeup would show up well on camera, but I didn''t look scary in person.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 9:29:13 AM
Author: caribqueen
I''ve worked in television for a decades so I had to learn to do my makeup and be good at it, and I''ve done it for more than 10 decades and have always gotten complements. So knowing how particular I am, I was concerned that even a professional wouldn''t get it right (or the way I want). I decided to take the chance with a trial and boy was I floored. It made such a difference because I truly got a MUA who is good. Also, I think on my wedding day, it will be nice to be pampered and sit back while other people help me get ready.
Sorry, but this made me giggle. You must be really good to still be getting compliments on your looks after 10 decades :) Only kidding, I know what you meant.

In all seriousness though, I am hiring someone to do my makeup on my wedding day. I''m fairly competent in applying makeup, but I don''t need to wear much and try to stay pretty natural looking. On my wedding day, I would like to look a little more glamorous (but still like myself), so I figure a professional will be best at achieving that balance.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I am someone who loves makeup, and I''ve been doing my own since I was in middle school (had to cover my abysmal skin). I wavered on getting it professionally done or doing it myself, and I ended up having a professional MUA do airbrush makeup on me.

I loved the airbrush makeup. My face looked completely flawless, and it didn''t budge at all the whole day, despite taking pictures in the rain and dancing a bunch. When she did my trial the week before, she gave me a special solvent to use for removing the airbrush foundation, but I apparently missed a spot by my ear, which I didn''t notice until a few days later when it was still there. The solvent removed it nicely, not to worry, and I was very happy about the staying power.

I think a trial (or more than just one) is very important when someone else is doing your makeup for you. I was not pleased after my trial. I looked a little clownish by my standards and definitely not like me. What I ended up doing was going to Sephora, having a few of their MUAs try a couple eye looks I liked on me, and buying the products that I liked best. My friend took pictures of me there, and I showed them to my MUA and had her use the products I bought. She was very accomodating and ended up doing an amazing job with a little instruction. For me, it was important to convey to her what I liked and how I hoped to look on my wedding day. At the first trial, I just gave her a blank canvas, some vague instructions, and she did what she liked best. With a little guidance, she did an awesome job, and I was so pleased with how it photographed.

Natallie

Rough_Rock
I Love My Dinair System!!! And the people there are so nice & helpful!!

I Have really bad Acne Scars & it covers them right up & Its does not irritate my skin since there makeup is water based!!!

I would definitely Suggest you try the Dinair System!! Good luck.Prom

beltane

Shiny_Rock
I just did my make-up trial yesterday morning. I was very happy with it. My usual self make up is under-eye concealer, eyes and a little lip gloss. I am at a loss when it comes to foundation, powder, bronzer, etc. I never know what my proper shade is, I don''t get it on even, I worry about looking chalky, and I don''t want to have to worry about it all on my special day.

I got my best compliment later that day... Hubs came in from work. Was puttering around and, looking at me a little puzzled, said "You look really nice. What''s going on?" Perfect! That''s what I wanted -- me, only a little nicer.

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I''m actually hiring a makeup artist to mine and my bridesmaids makeup.I don''t want to be stressing about it,I want me and the girls to be able to relax and have fun the morning of.
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results