shape
carat
color
clarity

Make up as part of business casual

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Is wearing makeup part of business casual and business attire. I know that being properly groomed, brushing hair and being clean etc is PROFESSIONAL, but, is makeup a part of being professional?

What if it''s just mascara?
20.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I don't consider makeup to be a part of looking professional .. I mean, it probably helps you look more clean and put-together if you cover up any blemishes or marks, but I don't think things like mascara, lipstick, etc. are going to make you look any more professional ..

I work in a law firm, and there are more women here that don't wear makeup than women who do.

(I'm a no-makeup wearer
10.gif
)

I would say, however, that heavy makeup can make you look less professional. ETA: Unless you're a clown
2.gif

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know. I''m a non-makeup wearer as well. I''m an engineer and I live in a corner! LOL.

I was worried about that a little.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t wear it except for meetings with outsiders. Or days I just want to a boost. Not part of the requirement IMO.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s essential, but it might help you feel more polished. On the other hand, a former boss of mine once commented that he would query the judgment of someone who chose to colour in their own eyelids. That convinced me to stick with the natural look if I''m wearing makeup to work.
2.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 1:46:46 PM
Author: lilyfoot
I don''t consider makeup to be a part of looking professional .. I mean, it probably helps you look more clean and put-together if you cover up any blemishes or marks, but I don''t think things like mascara, lipstick, etc. are going to make you look any more professional ..

I work in a law firm, and there are more women here that don''t wear makeup than women who do.

(I''m a no-makeup wearer
10.gif
)

I would say, however, that heavy makeup can make you look less professional. ETA: Unless you''re a clown
2.gif
BIG ditto to all of this! Being clean is professional. Wearing proper clothing is professional (proper skirt length and so on and so forth). Lipstick...eh...to each their own. I wear mascara only, myself. I had to dress in business attire for 8 years and never once was told that I didn''t have enough eyeshadow on.
9.gif

And yeah, walking around with 20 layers of carefully-applied makeup can make one look, well, clownish!
37.gif

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I always wear makeup. But there isn''t a right or wrong answer to this one, it''s just a matter of personal style and what makes you feel most confident and put-together.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I think make-up is optional, but if I have a presentation, meeting, interview or something important I will wear polished natural makeup (tinted moisturizer, light blush, mascara, neutral and not too glassy lip gloss). If I have to work an event or other more upscale dinner meeting then I add taupe eye shadow, dk brown liner, and darker lip color.

On a normal day, I''m lucky if I brush my hair
3.gif
so up it goes into a ponytail.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I can''t remember the last time I wore makeup to work, but it''s been like a year or something. Most mornings I just can''t be bothered!

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's personal preference. I also think though that no makeup is far more professional than hooker makeup! I agree with those who said it could make you feel more polished, but then again, I'm a makeup wearer. I personally don't feel put together without it but I envy those who do!

ETA: If you're feeling like you should wear some but aen't comfortable with the whole routine, I would stick with mascara and a little tinted lip gloss.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mascara and lipstick or lipgloss for me. I think a very natural look is professional. Anything very noticeable or "made up" to me is a little much for the office.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on the person and the company. Some companies would probably frown on a woman going au natural (especially fashion and beauty cos) while to others it''s the last thing on their mind. I think basic hygiene and an overall look of being put together is more important.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
It is not required. Can you imagine if someones boss walked up to them and said that their lips were not red enough or their lashes were not long and dark enough? I choose to wear make up to work. I do not wear a lot, but I don''t feel presentable without it. It makes me feel insecure, I know that it is silly especially since I do not wear very much. It seems like when I do not have makeup on I feel like I am in my pajamas. I do want to state though that I do not put makeup on to run errands. I do not care what the guy selling me stamps thinks, or the lady at the deli cutting my turkey, but I do care how my customers perceive me.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I can say I''ve never been to work one day in my life without makeup on. Although it is very natural and takes me less than 5 minutes to apply every morning...I just feel more put together if I have some on.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 2:05:32 PM
Author: steph72276
I can say I''ve never been to work one day in my life without makeup on. Although it is very natural and takes me less than 5 minutes to apply every morning...I just feel more put together if I have some on.
True. I look too much like a teen w/o it... ha!

I will say, more than no-makeup, gray roots are far more of a no-no.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Light make up is essential for me at my age {57}. I jhave good skin, but look washed out with blush, light foundation {usually SB''s Halo powder}, eye shadow and mascara for my thinning eyelashes.

My husband and I were out one morning and I wasn''t wearing anything but lipgloss. Something happened, and we were interviewed for a newscast.
23.gif
I looked like such crap I refused to be on camera. Since then I''m a little more careful about how I look when I go out.
19.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always worn eye makeup and lipstick to work. I wouldn''t say it was required, but I''m very fair and would look a little ill without it.

One of my first jobs was waitressing at a fancy restaurant. I was told I had to wear lipstick to look professional. When I asked "like a professional WHAT?!?" it didn''t go over well.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 2:02:36 PM
Author: radiantquest

I do want to state though that I do not put makeup on to run errands. I do not care what the guy selling me stamps thinks, or the lady at the deli cutting my turkey, but I do care how my customers perceive me.
I''m the opposite. I hate to set foot outside without being at least a little touched-up, even if it''s just a smudge of eyeliner and foundation. Seems like the days when I don''t do anything are always the ones where I run into a super-competitive frenemy, or an acquaintance from work (Murphy''s Law being what it is, this is usually one of my bosses), or wind up awkwardly drawing attention some other way. So even if makeup does nothing but turn away fate to torment other people, I won''t leave home without it.
2.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do tend to wear lip gloss to work, but that''s pretty much it. I love how I look with MU on, my problem is I''m an eye rubber so I''d prefer to not wear anything than risk walking around with my eye makeup smeared all over like a crack****.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I honestly think it depends how you look without it! Some people have the perfect skin, dark eyelashes, etc and don''t really need to wear makeup. I''m not saying the woman has to be a natural beauty, just that some people have the right coloring to look just fine without make up.

I have nice skin, but my eyelashes and eyebrows are so pale that if I don''t wear any makeup, I look totally tired and washed out. Fine for at home, but I don''t think I look very professional that way.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think one should wear the same makeup with biz casual you would with daily professional dress. That means as much or as little makeup you feel comfortable with under normal circumstances work, and obviously not as much makeup as you''d wear to a party. Biz casual is NOT casual; it''s just not suit/tie/pumps. You should always aim to polished at work, and if that means makeup then it means makeup. OTOH, if you normally wear little to no makeup under most circumstances I wouldn''t change that for biz casual either.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2010 2:19:54 PM
Author: Liane

I do want to state though that I do not put makeup on to run errands. I do not care what the guy selling me stamps thinks, or the lady at the deli cutting my turkey, but I do care how my customers perceive me.
I''m the opposite. I hate to set foot outside without being at least a little touched-up, even if it''s just a smudge of eyeliner and foundation. Seems like the days when I don''t do anything are always the ones where I run into a super-competitive frenemy, or an acquaintance from work (Murphy''s Law being what it is, this is usually one of my bosses), or wind up awkwardly drawing attention some other way. So even if makeup does nothing but turn away fate to torment other people, I won''t leave home without it.
2.gif
Liane, I''m the same way. I need SOMETHING on my face even if it is one coat of mascara and a swipe of bronzer/blush and chapstick. I was just thinking more about this, and even at the beach I wear waterproof mascara!

RQ, you never know who your customers will end up being. The deli lady or the postal worker might want to buy something from you someday!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not required. Can you imagine if someones boss walked up to them and said that their lips were not red enough or their lashes were not long and dark enough? I choose to wear make up to work. I do not wear a lot, but I don''t feel presentable without it. It makes me feel insecure, I know that it is silly especially since I do not wear very much. It seems like when I do not have makeup on I feel like I am in my pajamas. I do want to state though that I do not put makeup on to run errands. I do not care what the guy selling me stamps thinks, or the lady at the deli cutting my turkey, but I do care how my customers perceive me.
Depends on what field you''re in. When I worked for a jeweler there were certain colors of nail polish we weren''t allowed to wear (nothing bright or garish), and natural makeup was required, it was written into our employee handbook. Obviously that was a small business, you wouldn''t find that in a huge corporation I don''t think.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not necessary but a little can''t hurt, depending on field of work.

I''m one of the youngest and one of only a few women so it''s a suit and tinted moisturizer for me.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah. I never got comfortable wearing makeup, so if the "rules" of business casual were to ever change, I''d be screwed.

I typically don''t even wear make up to go out. If I do, it''s not heavy, and it''s usually the same. I strive for "natural" when I do put on makeup. I don''t wear foundation and all that other stuff. I feel it when it''s on and I''m dark so I feel like it''s totally noticeable. I fully intend on wearing makeup for my wedding, but I''ll have a pro do that one!

I agree that too much make up at work is just wrong!

I''m lucky that I''m of Indian descent (third generation Trini) and have the long, dark eyelashes.

Thanks for all the feedback in this discussion.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Um, hmmm, yeah. There''s a few too many people claiming they wear no makeup.
11.gif

I''ve been a girl for a lo-o-n-n-g-g time, and I''ve worked every year of my life since the age of 16 (in an office/corporate environment), and I don''t see too many women at work without ''a face''. It is rare indeed.

Now, most don''t go in for the "20-layers carefully applied" approach. Or Mimi''s clown face. But almost everybody, as the "Stars Without Makeup" shots attest, needs help looking awake, let alone groomed. So most of us wouldn''t be caught dead outside the house, looking half dead, without a face.

I''ve got some pretty good skin for my age, but I ain''t showin'' up nekkid.
2.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 3:56:12 PM
Author: HollyS
11.gif

I''ve been a girl for a lo-o-n-n-g-g time, and I''ve worked every year of my life since the age of 16 (in an office/corporate environment), and I don''t see too many women at work without ''a face''. It is rare indeed.

Now, most don''t go in for the ''20-layers carefully applied'' approach. Or Mimi''s clown face. But almost everybody, as the ''Stars Without Makeup'' shots attest, needs help looking awake, let alone groomed. So most of us wouldn''t be caught dead outside the house, looking half dead, without a face.

2.gif
I''m surprised by all the no makeup gals here, too.

I always wear makeup when I go out, unless I''m going to the gym. I don''t wear a lot of makeup, but I do need some help looking polished, especially when I go to work. And definitely during the winter months when my cheeks stay permanently red for the entire season.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 3:56:12 PM
Author: HollyS
11.gif

Now, most don''t go in for the ''20-layers carefully applied'' approach. Or Mimi''s clown face. But almost everybody, as the ''Stars Without Makeup'' shots attest, needs help looking awake, let alone groomed. So most of us wouldn''t be caught dead outside the house, looking half dead, without a face.

2.gif
Oh, I mean I don''t wear makeup. All I have on my face right now is lotion, and that''s about what I have on my face about 355 days a year. I probably look like crap (cause I''m not a lil young thing anymore (only 26, but...MAN...I''m aging
7.gif
), but not like how the "stars without makeup" look. Cause, no one has ever gotten used to seeing me in makeup to where I''d SHOCK them if I didn''t wear it! LOL.
23.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''m the same way. Actually, I won''t leave the house without light foundation and mascara! That''s about all I wear though. A light foundation to even out my skin tone (it needs it), mascara, and lip gloss (actually, its more like chapstick with a slight tint).

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think it also depends on the coloring/features of the person. I''m EXTREMELY pale, and so without makeup I can look washed-out or even ill. I also look young for my age, and sometimes worry that people won''t take me seriously. I find that makeup helps me to feel much more polished and also helps me look more grown up.

That said, I''ve seen women that wear it and women that don''t at my current company, and wach can be made to work well, it just depends on individual styles, preferences, coloring, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results