shape
carat
color
clarity

Make Up and Hair

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
My wedding isn''t until Sept, but I''m quickly realising that''s not necessarily a lot of time.
How does it work for booking someone for hair and makeup? Do you just go with referrals, or go there and have a sample run first (that seems quite time consuming). Do the people come to the site/home where you''re getting ready on wedding day?
thanks girls..

eleguin

Shiny_Rock
My wedding is also in September and I just booked a hair and makeup trial for February 10. You basically have to look at websites for makeup/hair artists or by word of mouth. You then call them to ask about details and pricing and availability. If it all sounds good to you, then book a trial with them. If you like their work at the trial, then you can book them for the day. Good luck!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I had people come to me on my wedding day. We got into the suite where DH and I spent the wedding night and I had the hair guy and make-up girl come to us. I dindn''t pay for my bridal party to get their hair and make-up done, but I didn''t ask that they have it done either- I told them what it cost and gave them the choice.
Neither my hair nor make-up person made me sign a contract, nor did either of them have "minimums." My mom got both hair and make-up done and my MIL got her make-up done.
My make-up girl works at various Bobbi Brown counters- she goes from store to store, so I did my trial with her at a Nordstrom and it was free.
My hair guy charged $30 for the trial and I went to him.
Neither of them charged for travel on the day of.
I found my make-up person through a friend of a friend and my hair guy through my local knot board.

HTH!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I paid for a professional to do my hair/makeup the day of, she traveled to me. I also paid extra for a trial beforehand, and planned it so we took our epics that day. I found my gal thru recs on theknot on my local board... in the end it was rather pricey but I was glad I did it, bc I usu don''t wear makeup at all, and I wanted to look nice and not have to stress about doing my own makeup. She also did my mom''s makeup the day of.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I also get my hair/makeup artist through theknot local board recommendations. I did a trial beforehand and she traveled to me on the day of.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I found my hair and makeup people through the Knot. I wasn't a poster (too scary and catty for me) but I was a serious lurker and everyone was raving about these 2 sisters. Janine, I think you're in NYC, right? I'll be happy to share their info with you if you want it. You have to book them way in advance because they get booked up really fast. They are pricey ($300 for hair, $300 for makeup) but they give you a free trial and they come to you on the day of. It's cheaper if you go to them though, so that part is up to you. For me, it was worth every penny. I absolutely loved these girls as people and I LOVED how they made me look!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks curly, do you want my email or can you post it here? i am in nyc, but wedding is in jersey (nearby), so i''m not sure if they''d go there, but maybe they can give me a referral,etc. thanks!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Janine-

You are getting married in Princeton, right? Try Claudia Seyler. Her website is www.claudiaseyeler.com. She also travels the day of, and she is located in PA, so Princeton wouldnt be that far for her. I have contacted her and she is very very nice, and very talented. She is a professional makeup artist and I know people who have used her-she does great work. Unfortunately, I think my wedding will be too far for her...she said she would come to me, but she has to account for the time she spends traveling, and it would be a 3 hr drive each way (ouch!). I understand her position. I think in general she is less expensive than NY vendors. If I were getting married in Princeton I would definitely use her!

There is a link to her email through the website.. if she is available on your date, she will email you back with a rate.

HTH!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks dani! I sent her an email..
it''ll be a real treat to have make up professionally done, i''ve been doing the same thing for years! It''s also very personal though (I know all my flaws and how best to cover them, or I think I do..), so it''s important to find a good match!
thanks again...I suppose it''s never to early to start booking people!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Janine, I''m pretty sure they do travel but I think they might make you pay for their travel expenses (car service). I had recommended them to Dani as well and I think that''s what we discovered. But if you''re interested anyway, their names are Maureen and Claudia Pedala. Maureen does makeup and Claudia does hair. The best way to contact them is thru Maureen. You can get her contact info from her website: www.nyweddingmakeup.com Good luck and make sure you post pictures after you do a trial!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
make sure you choose someone who is used to your coloring and I would do it ahead in a trial run - nothing worse than going out on your wedding day knowing you look best in pastel pinks and being bronzed LOL

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
is the make up person/hair person sometimes the same person. or is that a whole other person to research/commit to coming to where i am..

thanks, i really learn so much everyday from this board!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I had my stylist do my hair and make up on the day of my wedding. She is familiar with me and knew what I would like and dislike. I didn''t do a trial run, but only because she already knew my style. She did a terrific job and kept me looking like myself, only more glowy (that may have just been marriage sunshine on my face though).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wedding was on a Sunday at 12:30 P.M., but I was lucky enough to find a stylist (through a friend) who opened her salon for myself and my bridal party at 7 a.m. that morning. I did my own makeup and the girls also did their own, though...

Don''t stress out over it too much. You will look beautiful no matter what, because you''re in love and this will be one of those days in your life where your excited state of glowiness will be conveyed through pictures no matter what. Just get plenty of rest and drink lots of water the week before your wedding, and eat right...you''ll be gorgeous!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 9:21:45 AM
Author: janinegirly
thanks dani! I sent her an email..
it''ll be a real treat to have make up professionally done, i''ve been doing the same thing for years! It''s also very personal though (I know all my flaws and how best to cover them, or I think I do..), so it''s important to find a good match!
thanks again...I suppose it''s never to early to start booking people!

Oh, good Janine, let me know what happens after you speak with her....

The ladies Curlygirl reccommended are supposed to be great, but honestly, I dont think they are the best choice for you....If you are getting married in NJ, they are going to charge you a lot of $$ to travel...you could probably find someone closer to you, like Claudia Seyler....just my $.02. I will most likely go for trials with the girls from NYC and Claudia Seyler, and then choose between them both...Honestly, even with the travel charges, I believe Claudia''s charges in the end are comparable to what NYC/NJ vendors are charging. So for me, it probably will just come down to whomever makes me look better
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results