shape
carat
color
clarity

Major Alterations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
Have you done major alterations to a wedding dress?

I bought a dress at a sample sale and do not like it anymore. I wil probably just buy a neww dress but I was thinking maybe I could "turn" my dress into my dream dress? Can this work?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on the dress and the alterations you want done. Do you have a pic of the dress? And of your dream dress?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Often, alterations that major will cost you almost as much as a new dress and the end result won''t be as satisfying...but like Freke said, it depends.

Could you consign your current dress or put it up for sale on preownedweddingdress.com, and get your dream one?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 4:33:02 PM
Author: Octavia
Often, alterations that major will cost you almost as much as a new dress and the end result won''t be as satisfying...but like Freke said, it depends.

Could you consign your current dress or put it up for sale on preownedweddingdress.com, and get your dream one?
DITTO!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on what you are having done. I am having what I consider to have major alterations on my dress: the train removed, the crinoline cut out and the dress reshaped to accommodate that change, having the straps changed, and having the dress taken in a size (hopefully two if I can stop eating out). I am taking it to a designer rather than just a seamstress, and I am not really changing the shape, just the details. I think a lot of details can amount to major changes, but if it would completely create another dress it might be more fruitful to stop and evaluate and see if you don''t just want to buy another dress. I also recommend talking with someone about the cost, because it could also make just buying another dress seem worth it.

What specifically don''t you like about your dress?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I had a halter strap added to a strapless dress. Not sure if it counts as "major," but it does change the style of the dress substantially. I just found a seamstress that I trusted, told her exactly what I was looking for, and she worked with me.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 11:17:44 PM
Author: katamari
I think it depends on what you are having done. I am having what I consider to have major alterations on my dress: the train removed, the crinoline cut out and the dress reshaped to accommodate that change, having the straps changed, and having the dress taken in a size (hopefully two if I can stop eating out). I am taking it to a designer rather than just a seamstress, and I am not really changing the shape, just the details. I think a lot of details can amount to major changes, but if it would completely create another dress it might be more fruitful to stop and evaluate and see if you don''t just want to buy another dress. I also recommend talking with someone about the cost, because it could also make just buying another dress seem worth it.

What specifically don''t you like about your dress?
Well the dress would need to be taken down about a size and a half. Possibly two because I''ve been running a lot and that always makes me tiny.

As far as the design... basically I want the top half removed and turned into a simple one shoulder style. I would need to take a lot of the lennth so I think there would be enough fabric. I love the bottom half and the fabric is amazing. I am a fabric snob and I think it was the fabric that made me buy this dress

A new dress will be about 4000 plus what I''ll lose on the dress I''m not wearing. Even if I get alterations costing 1000, it will still be cheaper than buying a new dress. THe dress I bought was almost 75% off the original price.

Here''s what I have

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''m really curious to see where you''re going with the whole design and what you''re starting with. I remember you posting a one-shouldered gown before that I thought was gorgeous.

Can you try reposting the picture? It didn''t post the first time.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there''s enough extra fabric in the train, it sound do-able. At any rate, it''s worth talking to a seamstress or two about it.

From one fabric snob to another.
2.gif

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
This is what I have.

Sorry the previous pic is SO big

umontp.jpg

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Okay, now that I''ve seen the dress, I''d say it''s definitely doable (assuming you can get enough fabric from the train), and would probably be worth it based on what you said about costs. I''m not a professional seamstress, but what I''d imagine is that she would take off the textured top part of your current dress and create a one-shouldered bodice, then attach it underneath the sort of belt-like piece around your waist, to hide the seam. It''s a major alteration to the style of the dress, but it doesn''t seem that much work in the grand scheme of things. Do you have a good seamstress picked out already?

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
No but my friend has dresses made all the time so I'm going to ask her.

I'm pretty petite so I'm hoping there will be enough fabric

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 9:30:14 PM
Author: VRBeauty
If there''s enough extra fabric in the train, it sound do-able. At any rate, it''s worth talking to a seamstress or two about it.

From one fabric snob to another.
2.gif
Doesn''t it just make all the difference?

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
I was also thinking this style.

This is the dress I''m likely to buy if I decide to just buy a new one all together

celia.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I think in competent hands, it should be totally doable to make the dress you have into the one shouldered dress. I can see why you love it. It is elegant and beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results