clarity

Maintain your brain as you age ... start (or keep) playing piano

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am learning the clarinet instead. I used to sing in choirs too, however, stopped that recently due to clashing schedules.

DK :))

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Will you teach me @kenny?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I tried playing once, they kicked me out because all the dogs in the pet store next door started howling and the people started running.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, music is wonderful for the soul and the brain.
We have had quite the assortment of musical instruments in this household - at one stage a piano, a clarinet, a flute, 2 bass clarinets, a bassoon, a tenor sax, an alto sax, an oboe and a piano accordion.
currently, just, a piano, a bass clarinet, a clarinet, a tenor sax and a piano accordian.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am learning the clarinet instead. I used to sing in choirs too, however, stopped that recently due to clashing schedules.

Excellent news. I have just had my clarinet serviced and plan to start playing again. DD has joined a band and seeing as I’m her driver I may as well join too, have to reacquaint myself first.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried playing once, they kicked me out because all the dogs in the pet store next door started howling and the people started running.

My cat would run upstairs the moment she sees me picking up the clarinet. :roll2:

The dog howls when I play the high notes, so I usually let him out into the garden when I practice or have my lessons. :roll2:

DK :lol-2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you teach me @kenny?

Aw shucks.
Thanks, but I'm not qualified to teach piano.
However, I have been told I'm a very good guitar teacher.

If I was shopping for a piano teacher I'd start the search at www.mtna.org

I'm sorry if you've mentioned it, but I don't recall the country you live in, but there must be similar organizations all over the globe.

I'd contact them and ask to get an introductory lesson from several.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to upgrading my plastic student clarinet to a wooden one shortly before the Covid pandemic hit us, I have also bought a decent alto saxophone with the aim to learn to play that two.

I tried to learn the saxophone in parallel with the clarinet and struggled, and decided to concentrate on getting better (much better) with the clarinet first.

My teacher is organising a charity concert in mid March 2024 with his students, myself included, to raise funds for two of his students whose family home has been left in bits by rogue traders.

Should be fun, and I'd better put in more practice sessions as I don't want to let him down (and I don't like to fail).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite right. We need to use our brain or lose it. By doing puzzles or anything challenging including problem solving and learning new skills. Maybe I should relearn the piano as it's been decades since I played. And the clarinet @dk168 we both enjoy(ed) the clarinet. Happy playing!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

Karl, with your brain you'd learn it in a quiet afternoon. If you could find such a time.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Aw shucks.
Thanks, but I'm not qualified to teach piano.
However, I have been told I'm a very good guitar teacher.

If I was shopping for a piano teacher I'd start the search at www.mtna.org

I'm sorry if you've mentioned it, but I don't recall the country you live in, but there must be similar organizations all over the globe.

I'd contact them and ask to get an introductory lesson from several.

That ok. I'll do guitar :)
When do I start?

(#$#%. I'm in Victoria)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha look what just popped up in my photo feed

Screen Shot 2024-02-13 at 2.33.25 PM.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ok. I'll do guitar :)
When do I start?

(#$#%. I'm in Victoria)

Oh I love Victoria, BC. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

A million years ago my ex ex and I spent a week or so there.
LOOOOVED Buchart Gardens, and all the nice cozy establishments with the English atmosphere, high afternoon tea, and all.

Isn't it considered sort of the Miami Beach of Canada, well, climate-wise?
I hear housing price are through the roof.

Sigh!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh I love Victoria, BC. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

A million years ago my ex ex and I spent a week or so there.
LOOOOVED Buchart Gardens, and all the nice cozy establishments with the English atmosphere, high afternoon tea, and all.

Isn't it considered sort of the Miami Beach of Canada, well, climate-wise?
I hear housing price are through the roof.

Sigh!

Yes! The Miami Beach of Canada LOL. Housing prices are high I think, as high as Vancouver, if not higher. Honestly, Courtney (up island) is as nice and more affordable. We may head there in retirement.

Get your butt out my way and I'll make you high tea. My people know tea. Sigh. If only we could... @Daisysanddiamonds makes a mean cake I'm told.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Hahaha. I started having piano lessons two years ago and finished my ABRSM grade 3 last July. I really enjoy it! Glad to know that it helps with the brain too.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I played Principal Flute in our local community orchestra from 1991 to 2020 (pre-covid).
In 2021 we moved from CA to AZ to build our new home. I now play my flute with our community band. Just played a concert of movie music last night. There is a 85-yo lady who also plays flute with us.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results