shape
carat
color
clarity

Macro lens recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got the Nikon D90, and currently have a Nikkor 18-105mm VR lens, as well as a 55-200mm that came with the package. I''d like my next camera-related investment to be a good close-up lens. I know FI would probably want to get a Nikon brand one (they call theirs Micro lenses), but if there are other great brands compatible, I''d love to hear about those also.

So does anyone have any recommendations for good macro lenses? I searched Nikon''s website, and they offer 4 in total (haha 2 look like cream of the crop lenses). I''m not interested in spending $1000 or anything, but I realize some money has to be dropped in to get one. I just haven''t researched the differences in them all yet, and figured I''d go here first to try to narrow down my research. I''d certainly use the lens for jewelry
31.gif
, but also for a multitude of other daily things.

Thank you!
1.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya

I have a Sony Alpha DSLR and I have the 18-70mm which came with plus the Tamron 80-200 with lense hood as well as macro lense filters which I can put on either of the lenses. I''ve been blown away with the quality of my pictures using both but in particular the Tamron as the pictures are crystal clear.

So, I''d suggest having a looky here too as these lenses fit Nikon: http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/macro.asp

You can see the result of both lenses in my threads:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pos-sweetie-bracelet-links-of-london.112356/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pos-ecs.106077/

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have the Sigma 50mm F2.8. You''ve probably seen my shots taken with it - it''s my favorite lens of all time. It works great for things other than macro, too. Definitely pick one up! They cost less than the 150 or 105, too.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Here''s an example shot:

dandeliondrop.jpg

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the recommendations guys!!! I''ll definitely take a look at what you''ve posted so far.

Monkey, I haven''t seen your photos yet, I''ll have to now that I know they''re there though!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
luvthemstrawberries...NICE CAMERA!

Regarding the macro, it just depends on what you want to photograph. If I had a DSLR, I would go for the Sigma 150, as I enjoy photographing my aquarium fish. It is a bit on the expensive side for me, however, I know I would get much use out of it. From what I have read, the Sigma 50mm is a fun lens that is easier on the wallet though.

Great photo MonkeyPie!! :)

Threadjack...

I do not have a DSLR, but I am in the hunt for a macro for my Panasonic FZ28. Perhaps this question should be asked on a camera forum, but I have read good things about the Raynox 150 & 250 options, but was wondering if any camera enthusiasts on PS might have better suggestions.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Had a chance to look at everything...

strmrdr - thanks for the recommendations. Those look like great lenses. Wish I had enough money to get the 150!

Po10472 - thanks for your input! I haven''t looked much into the filters, so I''ll have to do that. And your photos look so awesome! Thanks for sending the links.

Monkeypie - that lens looks great - and definitely less expensive. Good to know that''s your favorite as well! Is there a benefit of having just the 50mm over a zoom lens, like the 18-50mm?

omieluv - thanks for your input also! Hehe I''d might go for the 150 if my wallet said it was ok, haha. But the 50 is definitely easier on the wallet! Yeah I''ve started this research on camera forums also, but there''s so much info out there, I often like to get the views of people on here for some opinions. I hope someone can weigh in on your question - you might want to start a thread for the question as more people may read it that way, in case they don''t make it all the way down here.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 10:28:49 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

Monkeypie - that lens looks great - and definitely less expensive. Good to know that''s your favorite as well! Is there a benefit of having just the 50mm over a zoom lens, like the 18-50mm?

Yes. Any zoom lens is not a true macro - the best they can is 1:2, which is not quite life-size. 1:1 is what you want to look for in a true macro lens, unless you''re ok with taking a picture from furthur away and then cropping it to make it appear larger. You can also get a lot closer to your subject physically with the 50mm, which I personally like since I use my macro for still objects as opposed to insects, which require a longer reach to keep from startling them.

omieluv, I don''t know anything about Panasonic or I could help
7.gif
Sorry! Hopefully someone else here has one. I believe Sigma makes Panasonic-compatible lenses though, if you wanted to look into that.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Monkeypie! I appreciate your input! Helps very much.
1.gif
I definitely want 1:1. I'll be using it much more for still objects - insects would be cool and all, but I tend to like to stay away from them anyway, haha.
3.gif

Now I just need to find somewhere that sells it! Around here Wolf Camera's really the only place that sells nice camera accessories, and they don't seem to carry the 50mm for the Nikon. Maybe I should consider purchasing online - do you have any recommendations?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have a D80, and no macro lense yet, but we have a Quantaray 70-300 lense that we love. It takes much clearer shots than the Nikon 28-55 VR that we have.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 10:03:57 PM
1.gif
I definitely want 1:1. I''ll be using it much more for still objects - insects would be cool and all, but I tend to like to stay away from them anyway, haha.
3.gif

Now I just need to find somewhere that sells it! Around here Wolf Camera''s really the only place that sells nice camera accessories, and they don''t seem to carry the 50mm for the Nikon. Maybe I should consider purchasing online - do you have any recommendations?
I bought mine from Adorama online. They ship super fast and I have several other things from them that I love. I also got my D300 from them, along with a 28mm and a 28-75mm. They''re great and have really good prices! When I got my 50mm it was around $250.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 1:19:05 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Date: 4/19/2009 10:03:57 PM
1.gif
I definitely want 1:1. I''ll be using it much more for still objects - insects would be cool and all, but I tend to like to stay away from them anyway, haha.
3.gif

Now I just need to find somewhere that sells it! Around here Wolf Camera''s really the only place that sells nice camera accessories, and they don''t seem to carry the 50mm for the Nikon. Maybe I should consider purchasing online - do you have any recommendations?
I bought mine from Adorama online. They ship super fast and I have several other things from them that I love. I also got my D300 from them, along with a 28mm and a 28-75mm. They''re great and have really good prices! When I got my 50mm it was around $250.
Thank you so much!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 12:53:12 PM
Author: MustangGal
I have a D80, and no macro lense yet, but we have a Quantaray 70-300 lense that we love. It takes much clearer shots than the Nikon 28-55 VR that we have.
Yeah I have a 55-200 Quantaray, but I seem to prefer the pictures from the Nikon lens more. Haha but 300mm for you certainly will give you closer photos than 55!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results