shape
carat
color
clarity

Machu Pichu and surroundings

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am planning a trip to Machu Pichu and the surrounding area for my uncle. He and his wife aren't that young anymore and there is also the issue of a bad knee. However, they are both enthusiastic people who want to go out there and see what there is to be seen. Does anyone have any tips, must see places, bad stories, etc?

I am suggesting they go either at the very beginning or end of the dry season, to avoid crowds. Does this sound right? I am also looking for places to spend a couple of days, so everyone can get used to the altitude.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
No bad stories here, I absolutely loved it. Also if he has a bad knee, he can avoid serious climbing, but Machu Picchu itself is on a hilltop and is therefore full of steps, so he won't be able to avoid it altogether. I would recommend they visit Cusco first for a few days, which is pretty high altitude. It's gorgeous and there's loads to do and see there. From there they can get a train into the nearby town of Machu Picchu. I would recommend they stay there the night before and the night of visiting Machu Picchu. I would recommend they buy a bus ticket the day before visiting Machu Picchu itself, and that they go as early as possible (I think the first bus is at 5am or something like that). The bus brings them up to the Machu Picchu ruins. I say go early because there is a lot to see and a lot of walking/stair climbing to do, so if they go early he won't have to push himself.

That whole region is hilly and will require some climbing - Cusco, surrounding Machu Picchu town and Machu Picchu itself - so there really is no avoiding it, so I would just say to give himself plenty of time to take breaks etc when he needs to.

Food in Machu Picchu itself is way overpriced, tell them to bring their own on the day if they can!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you - that is a great starting place for me. How was the weather when you were there? Were the nights very cold?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
No I didn't find it all that cold. Actually tell them to bring suncream! I was fine with a regular jacket, maybe bring a hat, scarf and gloves. I was there end of June, so it's not going to get much colder than that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results