shape
carat
color
clarity

Lying Liars Who Lie, 2016 Edition

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to edit this and remove the article. Too much religion noted and I don't think it is appropriate, I'm sorry . I will instead just link the original source for the table..

https://m.imgur.com/uOU48BM
image_107.png

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lying liars who lie?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1469135288|4058096 said:
Lying liars who lie?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, it covers all of them!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And look where Dishonest Donald ended up on this chart! Interesting

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yet the low information voter loves Trump.. Sometimes it's just mind boggling.. we get what we deserve I suppose. :( :(( :(( :(( :-o :devil:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
The bias of Politifacts is documented by other publications for anyone who cares.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1469144630|4058151 said:
The bias of Politifacts is documented by other publications for anyone who cares.

I care! Always in search of unbiased sources. I am a registered voter with no party affiliation and let me tell you, it is a tough row to hoe. This year I voted D in the primary, but I have not always done that. There were also plenty of years I did not exercise my right (or civic duty) to vote. I am always open to learning, though, and very interested in acquiring actual unbiased facts about politics and candidates running for office. If you have any links to share, I am all ears, and I'm sure others here are as well.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1469146552|4058163 said:
Here's one. There are many others.
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/peter-roff/2013/05/28/study-finds-fact-checkers-biased-against-republicans
In this Information Age, there's a great deal of misinformation, as you know. Not saying that I always look closely enough before a buy in.

Thank you, Anna, I will check out that site! I have been guilty of not researching the source closely before using it to support an opinion, and try not to make that kind of mistake these days. I have thought I had done my due diligence before and have rushed and carelessly posted things without digging deep enough, and it is not a good feeling to be called out on that. I hear what you're saying.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1469146552|4058163 said:
In this Information Age, there's a great deal of misinformation, as you know. Not saying that I always look closely enough before a buy in.

I couldn't agree with you more about this. My tendency is to eschew all of these sights rather than to try to use them. I am not saying that I never use data. Obviously I do. But I try to limit where I go for it. Flipping to any Internet page is just not a reliable way to obtain hard information, just as opening any book is not reliable.

I have told this story here before, but when I was teaching high school history our text book said that before the Battle of Cannae, the Roman soldiers ate a hot breakfast. I asked my students how we could know that that was true. In reality the historian who had written about the Punic War was Livy, who lived 50 years after the event. There was no real evidence that he knew what the soldiers had eaten for breakfast.

The lesson was supposed to be to look at the source of information. So I think your point cannot be made often enough in a time when people do not think critically.

Deb/AGBF

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it interesting that Palin, Kasich and Clinton all have the most 'True'. Very interesting graphic!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all very interesting to me because I always thought Politifact was an unbiased source. It was even used in my political science class for information. :shock:

I will read up on this subject a bit more...

Always learning.

:))

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most agree SNOPES is the least biased.

ETA: I think this is a fair assessment against factcheck.org I could find no real rebuttal from them.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you posted was an opinion piece by someone who worked for conservative think tanks. He didn't provide any evidence, other than his own views about the subject (i.e. these statistics are biased against republicans hence they MUST be untrue). Anything else?

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
part gypsy|1469209047|4058368 said:
What you posted was an opinion piece by someone who worked for conservative think tanks. He didn't provide any evidence, other than his own views about the subject (i.e. these statistics are biased against republicans hence they MUST be untrue). Anything else?

The author cited a study. Yes, there's more info available on the subject. I'll leave it to you to find sources you trust.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm...

I am having a very difficult time finding any unbiased information on the subject of Politifact's supposed bias. The only information I can find critiquing Politifact's methods exists on Right-wing websites.

Anna, do you care to share your unbiased sources?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that an episode of a television show fit nicely into this thread. Although it does not deal with "liars", per se, it certainly deals with hypocrisy. If one watches the entire show, he will see arch conservatives criticizing Barack Obama and then praising Donald Trump for doing the exact same things. Done by Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart, working in tandem, it is pretty amusing.

Jon Stewart Takes Over Colbert's Late Show Desk...https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMtFAi84ehTSYSE9XoHefig

AGBF

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1469209047|4058368 said:

I think she might have meant to post the home page to the site itself, which happens to be owned by a vegan, Democrat billionaire. So there's that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortimer_Zuckerman

This podcast/article is pretty interesting from 2012:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/how-biased-is-your-media/

Included in the article is this chart:

Here’s how 20 major media outlets rank on Groseclose and Milyo’s slant scale, with 100 representing the most liberal and zero the most conservative:

ABC Good Morning America 56.1
ABC World News Tonight 61.0
CBS Early Show 66.6
CBS Evening News 73.7
CNN NewsNight with Aaron Brown 56.0
Drudge Report 60.4
Fox News Spec. Rept. w/ Brit Hume 39.7
Los Angeles Times 70.0
NBC Nightly News 61.6
NBC Today Show 64.0
New York Times 73.7
Newshour with Jim Lehrer 55.8
Newsweek 66.3
NPR Morning Edition 66.3
Time Magazine 65.4
U.S. News and World Report 65.8
USA Today 63.4
Wall Street Journal 85.1
Washington Post 66.6
Washington Times 35.4

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
There are numerous articles that analyze Politifacts and find it biased. Other than Politifacts itself, I can't find any support for its veracity. Not saying that there is none; I didn't spend a great deal of time. I'm satisfied with what I've read and feel no need to spend more time on it. As I said, if you don't trust those sources, find sources you do trust.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1469236815|4058497 said:
There are numerous articles that analyze Politifacts and find it biased. Other than Politifacts itself, I can't find any support for its veracity. Not saying that there is none; I didn't spend a great deal of time. I'm satisfied with what I've read and feel no need to spend more time on it. As I said, if you don't trust those sources, find sources you do trust.
I will take this as your opinion based on right wing sources then.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
House Cat|1469240591|4058509 said:
AnnaH|1469236815|4058497 said:
I will take this as your opinion based on right wing sources then.

http://humanevents.com/2012/08/30/politifact-bias-does-the-gop-tell-nine-times-more-lies-than-left-really/

HC, the above is from a conservative publication, which doesn't mean it is unreliable. It is not an opinion piece but based on fact.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Is there anyone else who finds the Wallstreet Journals rating as the most liberal to be believable.? First time I ever heard that.

Annette
:lol:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1469290544|4058623 said:
Hi,

Is there anyone else who finds the Wallstreet Journals rating as the most liberal to be believable.? First time I ever heard that.

Annette
:lol:

I was mighty surprised when I read that myself, I believe the Wall Street Journal is very republican and rarely if even liberal. The whole list looked a bit suspect to me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really wish that the supernatural were true. I would curse all the federal and state level legislative and executive officials, and those who are candidates in any election for those positions, in this country (of any party) to speak ONLY the WHOLE truth 24/7 for a full 12 months.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1469313305|4058712 said:
I really wish that the supernatural were true. I would curse all the federal and state level legislative and executive officials, and those who are candidates in any election for those positions, in this country (of any party) to speak ONLY the WHOLE truth 24/7 for a full 12 months.
This is either my dream or my worst nightmare!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://themonkeycage.org/2011/07/thoughts-on-groseclose-book-on-media-bias/

I think this is interesting, it looks at the methodology of deciding where they lie on a 0 to 100 bias. That there are multiple steps to the estimation, and that the estimations are based on indirect versus director indicators of bias. The fact that Fox news is not anywhere rated near 0, and even the Washington post and Wall street Journal are rated as liberal, should give one pause how these measures are made. One thing that stood out to me, is one of the indirect measures is instead of measuring the "average" public liberal/republican slant, that is substituted by how congressional representatives vote on various topics. I'm a "liberal" who lives in NC, and entirely do not agree in how my representatives vote on a whole slew of topics whether it is the bathroom law, coal ash spills and education funding. However according to this measure, the way that my representatives vote, reflects my views.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results