shape
carat
color
clarity

Lunch and dinner ideas for NYC :D

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We might be headed to NYC in a couple of weeks and I'm super excited even though it will be super short stay (1 day/1 night) as we'll be on our way to somewhere else.

Looking for recommendations for lunch and dinner and food in general.

The foods that I'm thinking of are Chinese. Middle Eastern. Greek. Sushi.

But I am open to anything and everything.

I want nice but not fancy - and not super expensive. Mostly I want really good food and if the place is modern/trendy that's a plus but not a requirement.

I especially like the idea of hidden gems. :bigsmile:

But really, I'm open to any and all ideas.

Also - some coffee places (last time we visited both locations of Intelligentsia coffee, that Dee*Jay had recommended, and loved it. But of course looking for something new/different this time.)

And some dessert / bakery places...places with good RICE PUDDING (including diners! a bonus) (and missy, if you're reading this I cannot believe you went to a diner - and did not get rice pudding! Especially from one that is KNOWN for its rice pudding. :o)

Thanks guys!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember Rice to Riches was a rice pudding place that was popular when I used to work in NYC! It's right by Lombardi's pizza - yum!

Wanna meet up on A Sunday while you're in NYC? I do have to drop stuff off at IDJ to reset and/or resize at some point...

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jing Fung for dim sum. 20 Elizabeth St, New York 10013
Between Bayard and Canal St
Really good.

I grew up going to Wo Hop. Wo Hop Downstairs (17 Mott St at Pell St, 212-962-8617)

I think Prosperity Dumpling is supposed to be good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha CJ I don't like rice pudding but my dh does except we were both stuffed and tired and had to get back to remove the food for the ferals before it got dark so that is why we didn't stay for dessert. Maybe next time.

OK onto you. My favorite Greek restaurant at a reasonable price point is Molyvos. They have great lunch and dinner and I highly recommend them. Nice atmosphere, great food and good staff.

http://www.molyvos.com

I hope you have a great visit in NYC CJ and next time I hope you have a longer visit and we can make plans. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, I just spoke with my best friend Tom who is living in NYC now (he's from DC) and is an expert in all things Chinese. He is Chinese American and he eats out all the time and his favorite is Chinese food. Here are his recommendations.

For Dim Sum- Nom Wah Tea Parlour in Chinatown and Red Egg for a nicer atmosphere

Hop Kee in Chinatown for Cantonese- Hole in the Wall Basement

Shun Lee Palace for overall higher end Chinese. I have eaten here albeit years ago. Very good food.

HTH! I trust Tom 100% on his recs. He wouldn't steer us wrong.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks, guys! :wavey:

pinto a whole place for rice pudding? Wow. I have to try that just because!

Although I've been wondering...my sweetness tolerance has really, really decreased. I find most things too sweet. I am always in search of cookies that aren't too sweet and low sugar so I am wondering if I would find most rice puddings way too sweet now. We'll see.

Thanks for the chinese place too. :wavey:

This trip is so short, pinto - but another time, for sure!

caf thank you! these are going on my list. I've never tried dim sum before I need to look up what that is.

missy the kitties are more important than any rice pudding ::) I think... :rodent: haha Thank you for the Greek restaurant, and for asking your friend about the Chinese restaurants! They are ALL going on my list!

(I've eaten at Shun Lee Palace a few times, a long, long time ago...brings back some memories. ::) )

And yes, if I'm ever in NYC for a longer time, we'd make plans! :wavey:

I'm excited now I have some potential excellent food places.

Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results