Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re: Lucky Lady Finds Diamond at Crater of Diamonds State Par

Not worth the chiggars.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What are "chiggers?" I'm guessing they are singing butterflies or similar :loopy: :lol:

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock

I've been three or four times since moving back to Arkansas. It seems like somebody finds a 1+ carat there a few times a year, and the excitement draws me in. But once I get there, it's hard to maintain the excitement after digging in and sifting through dirt for a couple of hours. Last time I thought I'd found a diamond and was excited, but it wasn't. The more interesting part is seeing the ring displayed in the gift shop that was cut from a rough diamond found at the park. I remember it was a D IF Type IIa Diamond, and even though it is only about a carat, I can see the arrows in the diamond. I will see if I can find a picture.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock

Found pictures. It's the Strawn Wagner Diamond. 1.09 ct AGS 000
*This diamond was found in 1990 and is on display in a ring at the park. Here is the story behind it, and I believe that this was written pre-Esperanza:

On permanent display in the visitor center at Arkansas's Crater of Diamonds State Park, the site where this splendid stone was discovered, the Strawn-Wagner Diamond is the most perfect diamond the American Gem Society (AGS) ever certified in its laboratory. Graded the perfect grade of O/O/O (Ideal cut/D color/Flawless), or "Triple Zero," it is the highest grade a diamond can achieve. This is the most perfect a cut diamond can be. A diamond this perfect is so rare that most jewelers and gemologists never see one during their career.

Found at the Crater of Diamonds State Park in 1990 by Shirley Strawn of Murfreesboro, Arkansas, this diamond weighed 3.03 carats in the rough. In 1997, under the recommendation of Bill Underwood, Arkansas's first certified gemologist, the gem was sent to Lazare Kaplan International of New York for cutting. Lazare Kaplan cut the gem to perfection into a 1.09-carat, round brilliant-shape diamond featuring an "Ideal Cut." This cut allows for the maximum amount of light to be reflected from one facet to another and up through the top.

Strawn Wagner Diamond Ring
The Strawn-Wagner Diamond
In 1998, the AGS certified this diamond. A diamond this perfect, and weighing over a carat after cutting, is estimated to occur one time in a billion. Its occurrence is even rarer coming from a non-commercial diamond mine.

Underwood's Fine Jewelers of Fayetteville, Arkansas, handcrafted the mounting of pure platinum and pure 24-karat gold to be symbolic of Arkansas The Natural State. The platinum shank has a thin inlay of gold in the middle. Two gold apple blossoms on each side of the crown represent Arkansas's state flower.

Nature formed, and then man transformed, this diamond to the perfect one-in-a-billion gem it is today.

Here is a page about that diamond and other famous finds.
http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/history/famous-finds.aspx

_3927.jpeg

_37408.jpg

_37409.jpg

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium

azstonie|1464746276|4038767 said:
What are "chiggers?" I'm guessing they are singing butterflies or similar :loopy: :lol:
Tiny little bugs that burrow in your skin and itch like crazy. When I was a kid the only way to kill them was to paint over them with clear nail polish and then they'd itch even worse while they died. Terrible.

And the dog ticks.

I spent a lot of time in the Ozarks as a kid, and I'm in no hurry to go back.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock

BeekeeperBetty|1464756107|4038838 said:
Tiny little bugs that burrow in your skin and itch like crazy. When I was a kid the only way to kill them was to paint over them with clear nail polish and then they'd itch even worse while they died. Terrible.

And the dog ticks.

OK, you just put this big city girl off her diamond mining ambitions....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And the dog ticks.

As someone who is very squeamish around bugs, this is my nightmare. I am literally itching everywhere just reading this. MUST. NEVER. GO. THERE.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

daintyG|1464751696|4038812 said:
I've been three or four times since moving back to Arkansas. It seems like somebody finds a 1+ carat there a few times a year, and the excitement draws me in. But once I get there, it's hard to maintain the excitement after digging in and sifting through dirt for a couple of hours. Last time I thought I'd found a diamond and was excited, but it wasn't.

Ugh - reality. When we read about these finds, it's easy to forget that they're actually few and far between.

Nonetheless I hope to make it to the park someday to try my luck! :lol: I hope you'll have a find to report to us one of these days too!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock

VRBeauty|1464801845|4038959 said:
daintyG|1464751696|4038812 said:
I've been three or four times since moving back to Arkansas. It seems like somebody finds a 1+ carat there a few times a year, and the excitement draws me in. But once I get there, it's hard to maintain the excitement after digging in and sifting through dirt for a couple of hours. Last time I thought I'd found a diamond and was excited, but it wasn't.

Ugh - reality. When we read about these finds, it's easy to forget that they're actually few and far between.

Nonetheless I hope to make it to the park someday to try my luck! :lol: I hope you'll have a find to report to us one of these days too!

Thanks. I hope you do, too!

When you get to the field and see hundreds of people digging and sifting, reality definitely sets in! They announce it on a loudspeaker when somebody finds a diamond, though, which is fun.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock

lovedogs|1464801009|4038955 said:

And the dog ticks.

As someone who is very squeamish around bugs, this is my nightmare. I am literally itching everywhere just reading this. MUST. NEVER. GO. THERE.

Chiggers are typically in the woods or in grassy areas or bushes. The crater of diamonds park is a giant field of dirt. It's unlikely to get chigger bites there, unless you wander off outside of the field.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

We are stopping while on a road trip next month. My kids are little but super excited. I just am interested to see the birthplace of the Esperanza diamond.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

It took only five minutes to find the diamond. Now that's luck.
Not sure digging for hours would be fun, but I'd consider it.
BTW, prevention is best for chiggers. But, when needed, hydrocortisone is better than nail polish. If you have none, icing also helps. This is the season.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like to find my diamonds already faceted and ready for purchase. :lol:

That is very cool though when someone finds a diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results