shape
carat
color
clarity

ls anyone else worried about how to go to the loo in a big ol'' wedding dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Seriously! I think I might have to schedule a bathroom break to be unlaced so I will be able to pee, because there''s no way I''m lifting up that gorgeous skirt in some skanky bathroom stall, y''know?
32.gif
Anyone else have this concern or is it just me?
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Gwennie!

I was SO worried about this before our wedding. In fact, I was so worried that I asked the lady who sold me my gown what I should do! She told me to sit on the loo facing the wall and to have my MOH go in there with me to help keep my skirt lifted up. (There was no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that I was going to use the loo in front of ANYONE, by the way.)

The craziest thing is this: We were married at 10 AM. I probably got into my gown around 9 AM. I didn''t take my gown off until very late in the evening, after the 4th of July fireworks were over, after we opened all the cards and gushed over every detail of our day, so it was probably close to midnight. And you know what? As DH was helping me out of my gown I realized that I did not use the loo once the entire day. NOT ONCE! So it wasn''t even a problem after all.

However, my best friend did the sit-on-the-loo backwards method while I held her dress and she was fine. I think it was a good bonding moment for us.
3.gif

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
You know, I was worried about it till we went to my girlfriend''s wedding. She managed just fine in a wheelchair stall. By herself, so I think it''ll be okay!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t have the big wedding dress so this wasn''t a concern for me in reality -but I always imagined the anxiety I might feel!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I made sure to check the bathrooms in my venue for this particular reason - but most brides usually go in with someone else who helps them with the dress LOL.

Good luck Gwenie not long now
36.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
unfortunately, unlike Haven I did have to use the loo - at least twice. I took my sister with me, and she just unzipped me and i stepped right out of it -- it was really the easiest way, since it was fairly fitted. she held it up off the ground while i did my thing, and then i stepped back into it and she zipped me up! Let me say, that I am not sure i could have done this with someone else besides my sister - she''s obviously seen me naked in my lifetime, so I didn''t mind a bit.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t use the restroom either. From 1PM to about 1AM. I think it as because I only had half a glass of champagne and a glass of punch between dinner the night before and breakfast the next day. So that was about 36 hours. It''s amazing what you don''t realize in these situations.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d rather die than have anybody (and i mean ANYBODY,including my own mom), help me pee
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif
I''ll be wearing a big gown too and usually i go to the bathroom every one or two hours
14.gif
but i''m pretty confident that i''ll manage by myself
16.gif

Damn...Gwen, why did you have to bring that up now? As if i wasn''t already worried about a million other things!!!
4.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I often wondered how brides went to the bathroom. Good luck.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I had a corseted/lace up bodice dress and I went to the toilet twice by myself. It was NOT easy I can tell you. I sat facing the back too, much easier that way.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I had a big skirt and did have to pee. I went into the big bathroom that was original to the house. If that had been unavaliable, I would have used the handcapped stall. I just lifted the whole thing up and sat as far back as possible so the back didn''t droop in. That really helped and allowed me to go without assistance.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was worried about this too. I just made sure to go right before the ceremony started. Yeah, that didn''t help so much when I had to go again 30 minutes later.
9.gif
I made an off-hand comment to a close friend before the reception started (not meaning for her to help or anything), and she dragged me into the huge bride''s bathroom and helped. Trust me, there''s so much fabric everywhere, so she didn''t see anything (um, not that she would have been looking, but you know what I mean.)

I''ll admit, it was a little embarrassing, but when you have to go, desperate times call for desperate measures.

wyndham

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gwen,

I have to ditto Haven and Choro -- I was in my wedding dress for 12 hours straight and didn''t have to go once! I think the adrenaline of the day kind of takes over and you almost ''forget'', if that makes sense...because usually I have to go every 1-2 hours!

I think it makes sense to watch your liquid intake as you''re getting ready -- I had one glass of water and one Diet Coke. Then, be sure to use the restroom RIGHT before you get into your dress. During the ceremony / reception you probably won''t have time to drink much, so you should be fine! If you do have to go during the wedding...does your venue have any rooms / private bathrooms? If so, I would go up to a room with a friend, have them help you out of your dress, then do whatever you need to do and get back into the dress! That''s probably easiest for a one-time bathroom trip...but not very practical if you end up making several trips.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I''m hoping that since my dress isn''t huge, I won''t have this problem... but we''ll see

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2010 5:21:23 AM
Author: Naty H&A

Damn...Gwen, why did you have to bring that up now? As if i wasn''t already worried about a million other things!!!
4.gif

ditto.

oh, this hadn''t even crossed my mind. i think i''ll be ok till i start having some adult beverages at the reception--they just run right through me. and generally, whenever i know i *can''t* go to the bathroom that immediately makes me have to go. i''m hoping i can just lift up the skirt (w/help?) and face the stall backward. this is also making me rethink my undergarment situation. maybe no spanx & just regular undies are the way to go.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I held it for the longest time until I couldn''t any more. 3/4 through the reception I really had to go. We had a bridal suite with private bathroom and my HUSBAND helped! hahahaha.... so romantic
20.gif
, but it really was sweet of him.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
I helped my friend with her dress - However i made her pee before she got in the dress, once before the ceremony and once right after. after that she changed into a different dress so it was all good from there :)

fortunately my dress is slim so i don''t have to worry about that... but...

what is this sitting on the toilet backwards business??
33.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I had helpers. I made 2 of my SIL come with me back up to our room to hold my dress up after the ceremony. I don''t care about anyone hearing me pee.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 10:49:55 AM
Author: sunnyd
I had helpers. I made 2 of my SIL come with me back up to our room to hold my dress up after the ceremony. I don''t care about anyone hearing me pee.
Ditto. I had my MOH/sister and another BM help me. Even if you dress isn''t that big (mine was A-line, not princess), you would be surprised how heavy dresses can be to lift up and balance...If anyone in your bridal party/family has been invovled in a wedding, it is likely they have seen it/done it before. I don''t think there is any shame it. Besides, you don''t want to get tinkle on your dress, lol
3.gif

Btw, I second the lack of beverages and just getting caught up in everything. I was in my dress from about 5 pm to 2 am and managed to only go once.

Either way, I think that is the last thing you are worried about on your special day. If you have to go, so be it. No worries
2.gif

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gwen,

Great question, I was a bridesmaid for my best friend and her sister and I helped her use the bathroom. She had a lace up dress, so we didn''t have enough time to undo and redo. Here''s how we managed it, first we locked the bathroom door (it was a multi-stall affair), then we lifted her dress up (but not so high that her undies would show
12.gif
). We held her dress behind our backs so we''re facing away from her! It was no big deal, she was a little embarrassed, but we didn''t see anything and when you''re in a shared bathroom situation, other people will hear you anyway
3.gif

I vote against not drinking though, you need to be hydrated, dehydration will bring on fatigue and possible headaches... You wouldn''t want that on your wedding day!
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My twin sis just came into the handicapped stall with me and held up the skirt of my dress while I went. (I only had to go once the entire day! My inability to eat or drink when I'm nervous comes in handy!) She couldn't see anything, but I wouldn't really care if she did see my business-we were nakey in the womb together for 9 months after all!
3.gif

Also, all I wore under the dress were undies. It's probably a lot more difficult if you have on Spanx, corset, etc. Plus my skirt was full-if you have a fitted skirt it's probably harder to get up and down!

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
I managed to narrow down my search to 2 dresses, both around the same price. One was actually quite a bit prettier than the other, but I chose the plainer one, simply because it would be easier to use the ladies room in!

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
I dont think you should worry. I''m that person who notoriously needs to go to the bathroom ALL THE TIME and I only had to go once during the day. You will be too busy to drink. hehe. And therefore, you will not need to go. You know how that works.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hahah, oh good, glad to hear it wasn''t really a problem for you ladies! I will probably be ok--will just disappear for a bit after the ceremony & before dinner to make sure all is well in the bladder department and then enjoy the rest of the evening without worrying--sometimes my body will forget that it has to go, and then suddenly remember and have to go really badly! So this should keep that from happening. Hopefully.
9.gif

In other news, we''ve been running around like crazy, taking my parents to see the greatest hits of England, which has been lots of fun but also really exhausting. We only have 9 days until the wedding--holy cow! And we''re off to Cornwall tomorrow for a few days of rest. Bliss, absolute bliss!
30.gif

Anyway, most of the wedding stuff is taken care of. Only thing left is to figure out if my hair can be done the way I want it to be done (loose curls, but my hair doesn''t usually hold even with lots of hairspray). Everything else is ready!

36.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Woohoo Gwen! I''m so excited for you!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 7:20:23 AM
Author: gwendolyn
Hahah, oh good, glad to hear it wasn''t really a problem for you ladies! I will probably be ok--will just disappear for a bit after the ceremony & before dinner to make sure all is well in the bladder department and then enjoy the rest of the evening without worrying--sometimes my body will forget that it has to go, and then suddenly remember and have to go really badly! So this should keep that from happening. Hopefully.
9.gif

In other news, we''ve been running around like crazy, taking my parents to see the greatest hits of England, which has been lots of fun but also really exhausting. We only have 9 days until the wedding--holy cow! And we''re off to Cornwall tomorrow for a few days of rest. Bliss, absolute bliss!
30.gif

Anyway, most of the wedding stuff is taken care of. Only thing left is to figure out if my hair can be done the way I want it to be done (loose curls, but my hair doesn''t usually hold even with lots of hairspray). Everything else is ready!

36.gif
yay, Gwen! I''m so excited for you!

The bathroom thing doesn''t really scare me. My MOH and I are really close. When she was a freshman in college, she used to drink. a lot lol. One night, after she got totally trashed at a party where there was a swimming pool, I had to help her get out of her bathing suit and into her regular clothes. Basically, she couldn''t even get her bra on by herself. So I''m not worried about her holding my dress while I tinkle.
But that''s just my MOH. There''s no way I would ask Fiance''s sisters or my mom to help me. idk why, but that would be awkward for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results