shape
carat
color
clarity

Lowest clarity and color grade acceptable when buying online

EA22201

Rough_Rock
I would rather not purchase a diamond without seeing it first, but I feel like I've exhausted my options in the area I live in (DC). The stores that I've felt comfortable in but the diamonds were way over my budget compared to online and the stores that did have what I was looking for in my budget were sketchy.
I was looking mainly at EGL diamonds because I liked the price, but I was finally educated by the last store I was at on why I shouldn't buy EGL. I looked at an EGL H color diamond at one store and thought I could see yellow in it. It could have been the lighting in the store, but she told me because I could see it I was 'color sensitive' and needed to stay at G or above. Now that I've learned how EGL grades, I'm wondering what that actual color grade was and if I really am 'color sensitive.
I'm only looking now at GIA and AGS and I have my ideal specs:

RB
1.83-2.0
Ideal cut only
D-I or J
VS1-SI2
X Polish
X Symmetry
Depth within 59.5-62.8
Table within 53-60
No fluorescence
GIA or AGS certified

These sound solid right? Are there any I could give a little on to lower the price without changing its appearance?

I would like to stay under 17,000, which wasn't a problem with EGL. Anyone know of a reputable place that offers something in line with both my specs and my price range? If it's a B&M dealer near DC, I'll be ecstatic! If not, an online dealer.

If I do have to go online, where should I avoid and should I go up in color of clarity because I'm not able to see it in person?

Also, when you are at a store, is there anything you should do or ask to see while you are there? Example: see the diamond outside and under different lighting types or under a specific magnification? I'm looking at these diamonds and they all look the same to me so I must be doing something wrong. I just see sparkly round things.

I

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Lowest clarity and color grade acceptable when buying on

You might want to narrow down your shopping range a bit. The difference between a 1.83/J/VS1 and a 2.00/D/VS1 that are otherwise comparable is going to be upwards of a factor of 5 in price.

I would like to suggest a different approach, or at least a different attitude. You aren't shopping for a diamond, you are shopping for a dealer. And when you find one, you aren't commiting to a diamond without seeing it, you are commiting to the cost of shipping. You then have the opportunity to not only look at it in person but to show it to your friends and neighbors, get it appraised by an independent expert, even carry it into competitive jewelry stores and look it side by side with what you're thinking of buying there. Only at the end of all of that is it a done deal. Buying at a local store should be the same thing but without the shipping. It's not done until you are happy and you should bail on any dealer who expects it to be different. No refunds = No sale. This is true both online and on the street. I don't know the jewelers in your neighborhood but if you prefer to shop locally, perhaps it would help to start a new thread with THAT question in the headline (ex: Looking for diamonds in DC)

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

EA22201|1311362833|2974754 said:
I would rather not purchase a diamond without seeing it first...<snip>

I'm only looking now at GIA and AGS and I have my ideal specs:

RB
1.83-2.0
Ideal cut only
D-I or J
VS1-SI2
X Polish
X Symmetry
Depth within 59.5-62.8
Table within 53-60
No fluorescence
GIA or AGS certified

These sound solid right? Are there any I could give a little on to lower the price without changing its appearance?

I would like to stay under 17,000, which wasn't a problem with EGL. Anyone know of a reputable place that offers something in line with both my specs and my price range? If it's a B&M dealer near DC, I'll be ecstatic! If not, an online dealer.

If I do have to go online, where should I avoid and should I go up in color of clarity because I'm not able to see it in person?

Also, when you are at a store, is there anything you should do or ask to see while you are there? Example: see the diamond outside and under different lighting types or under a specific magnification? I'm looking at these diamonds and they all look the same to me so I must be doing something wrong. I just see sparkly round things.

I'm not an expert when it comes to specs, I would just go to one of the Pricescope vendors or use the Pricescope search and plug in your numbers and ranges and see what you get. Many of the vendors offer photos of the actual diamond you'd buy (Whiteflash, James Allen, Brian Gavin Diamonds, etc.) so you really aren't buying it without seeing it. I like trolling Good Old Gold's site because there are a variety of images of every diamond.

This one fits your specs and price range: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8081/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You need to get out and see the colors and clarities live, in person, for yourself to discover YOUR comfort zones.
One person may decide D IF is worth the money for a smaller stone.
Another may be delighted with a NOT eye-clean R I2 that is huge.

I'm glad you learned to only look at GIA and AGS graded diamonds.

Leave the EGLs and other labs for people who fall for what's too good to be true.

EA22201

Rough_Rock

I have looked at Brian Gavin, and I am very interested in one of their diamonds but I don't know how to view the actual picture of the diamond. I thought you could only view the certificate. Could you explain to me how to see the diamond. I loved JamesAllen's site for that but they were expensive.

I'd love to look at an I or J color, but I have yet to find a dealer that stocks a GIA I or J. Only an EGL. I'm comfortable with an SI2 GIA.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

EA22201|1311366747|2974793 said:
I have looked at Brian Gavin, and I am very interested in one of their diamonds but I don't know how to view the actual picture of the diamond. I thought you could only view the certificate. Could you explain to me how to see the diamond. I loved JamesAllen's site for that but they were expensive.

I'd love to look at an I or J color, but I have yet to find a dealer that stocks a GIA I or J. Only an EGL. I'm comfortable with an SI2 GIA.

Which diamond? Post link please.

IF it is in his possession it should have pics.
If it is virtual inventory he'd have to call it in for pics.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

EA22201|1311368677|2974818 said:

Those virtual stones that are carried by Brian Gavin's vendors. They have to call them in and if the specs are what the vendors say but you decide not to go forward with the purchase, I believe you have to pay the shipping costs.

If you consider some in-house stones you'll be able to see the images of the actual stones online. Not sure if you mind blue fluor but these two stones are within your price range.

1.71 I VS1 $16k after Pricescope discount http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104052029013
1.71 J VS1 $14k after Pricescope discount http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104052029015

The I color stone should face up fairly white compare to the EGL H you saw since AGS stones are more strictly graded and the blue fluor helps.

If not, this one without fluor is also in your price range:

1.71 ct J VS1 $17k after Pricescope discount http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104047809009

I personally own a Brian Gavin diamond and it's absoutely beautiful. The cut is amazing!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

JA is expensive? What are you comparing them with?

JA has an office outside of DC. in Maryland. Sometimes they allow appointment there to view the stones you are interested in. No harm calling to ask.

1st stone, not enough info. 2nd stone is crap. 3rd stone looks promising. One thing to note is that these are virtual stones and BGD will need you to commit to buying from BGD as they will need to call it in. If you back out later if these stones are good, you will be stuck with the calling in fees.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

These could work. Ask for idealscope image and if eye-clean if interested. Then if they pass these test, set up an appointment at their Maryland location to see the stones?

JA allows request for 3 idealscope image for most of their stones for free.

I would not go with SI2 for such a large stone, most would probably not be eye-clean.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1378152.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1371854.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1165122.asp

EA22201

Rough_Rock

Stone-cold11|1311369511|2974836 said:
These could work. Ask for idealscope image and if eye-clean if interested. Then if they pass these test, set up an appointment at their Maryland location to see the stones?

JA allows request for 3 idealscope image for most of their stones for free.

I would not go with SI2 for such a large stone, most would probably not be eye-clean.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1378152.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1371854.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1165122.asp

Oh wow. Thank you for this. When I was looking on JA, the lowest price that came up was in the 28,000's. These are really helpful!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maybe you checked their True Hearts collection?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ditto others who said go look at GIA and AGS graded stones in person. You can also go look at Tiffany or Hearts on Fire, which grade their own rocks I believe but have a similar standard for color. Determine your own comfort that way.

Buying online from a trusted vendor many people have happily bought Si1 and Si2 and even I1 diamonds. You just need to communicate your expectations for eye clean to the vendor, and also accept that you *might* have to exchange the diamond once seen in person if it doesn't meet your standards.

EA22201

Rough_Rock

Thanks! I found a 1.92 I SI1 Ideal cut hearts and arrows at a local jeweler today which I think is the winner.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

EA22201|1311477471|2975603 said:
Thanks! I found a 1.92 I SI1 Ideal cut hearts and arrows at a local jeweler today which I think is the winner.

Great! If you would like our opinions, you can post the lab report number or the information form the report, and the price, and we can offer our opinions.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

Do you mind sharing where you found this one, or are shopping? I'm in Bethesda, and will be curious.

P.S. I'm not actually shopping for anything now, having just actually purchased some studs at BGD, but with a modest fraction of your budget.

EA22201

Rough_Rock

Regular Guy|1311531001|2975818 said:

Do you mind sharing where you found this one, or are shopping? I'm in Bethesda, and will be curious.

P.S. I'm not actually shopping for anything now, having just actually purchased some studs at BGD, but with a modest fraction of your budget.

Quest. On your recommendation actually.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

Pricescope. Gotta love it. I searched in the last 48 hours on ideal cut diamonds Washington DC, and WAS surprised to see one of my very early posts found by google.

When a group I'm a member of offered services at fund-raiser, I did offer to help jewelery shoppers get to know Pricescope. I ended up directing a taker to Quest, too.

And, I read they're about to have a 5 year anniversary celebration. I'd recommend them again. Glad you found them.

Best of wishes!

EA22201

Rough_Rock

Regular Guy|1311613418|2976378 said:
Pricescope. Gotta love it. I searched in the last 48 hours on ideal cut diamonds Washington DC, and WAS surprised to see one of my very early posts found by google.

When a group I'm a member of offered services at fund-raiser, I did offer to help jewelery shoppers get to know Pricescope. I ended up directing a taker to Quest, too.

And, I read they're about to have a 5 year anniversary celebration. I'd recommend them again. Glad you found them.

Best of wishes!

Yes! 40% off all settings! Huan was fantastic. I chose them after visiting Charleston Alexander, Gorman in DC, Ascot, and Washington DIamond. I also really like Ascot, but they were more expensive and had little inventory. Charleston Alexander and Gorman really pushed EGL stones at GIA prices. After educating myself, I was totally turned off by that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results