shape
carat
color
clarity

Lower colored diamonds (L,M,N,O)

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Has anybody ever bought a stone just to see its color with your own eyes? Do vendors mind if you do that? I don't want to commit to a bigger stone without seeing what it looks like with my eyeballs!

I've never seen lower colored stones IRL (lowest I've seem is a K) but I've looked at GOG's AVC videos depicting them and want to know; how well do they represent the true color of the diamond?

Thanks!

Cachette :))

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, Cachette!

I've never bought a stone just to see it with my eyes because I buy from a local jeweler.

However, I do wear an O/P OMC and I have to say that I think it's difficult to really get a feel for a lower colored stone's real personality until you have it in hand. I say this because my stone looks dramatically different in different lighting situations and surroundings, and she's always surprising me by showing a new side of her personality.

That being said, when I first saw my stone she was not yet certed, and I thought she was an I, so perhaps I'm not a good judge of color. :cheeky: I LOVE my O/P stone, though, and I can't imagine ever going back to a high colored stone. It's personal preference, of course, but I think she's so beautiful. I love those low colors, especially in a cushion.

DO IT! Buy the stone!!!! :Up_to_something: :devil:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cachette|1314718163|3005388 said:
Has anybody ever bought a stone just to see its color with your own eyes? Do vendors mind if you do that? I don't want to commit to a bigger stone without seeing what it looks like with my eyeballs!

I've never seen lower colored stones IRL (lowest I've seem is a K) but I've looked at GOG's AVC videos depicting them and want to know; how well do they represent the true color of the diamond?

Thanks!

Why not ask GOG how they can help you? Your question doesn't sound off the wall to me, I'm sure they'd be willing to work something out with you.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
ETA: I have a bunch of videos of my antique cushion diamond ring up on the popular video site, as well. I bet you could do a search and find them, and see what my O/P looks like in a bunch of different real-life lighting situations. I don't think I can link to it, but you'll recognize me if you see me there.

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cachette - I just purchased and AVC 1.66ct SI1 L colored stone. I have only seen the beautiful AVC's here on Pricescope and watched practically all of the videos on them from GOG. I think the color will not bother me, but since I am uncertain I purchased the stone and am having it sent to me so I can see it in person. I asked GOG what happens if the color is not for me, and they said to ship it back to them. I have 30 days from the time I receive the stone to make up my mind and send it back. I probably will not need that long, I am guessing I will decide after examining the stone in different lighting etc. the first day. I am hoping I love it - then I will send it away to be set. If I do not however, I think they have a very fair policy. I would just have to pay for shipping it back and then they will refund my money less the $45 shipping fee it cost for them to ship me the stone. For such a high dollar purchase, I know I need to lay eyes on the stone myself and at worse it will cost me around $100 bucks - which is a lot less than a trip to NY. If I do not like the color - then I know to refocus my search for a higher color grade. I will let you know what I think of the color once it arrives - I am having it shipped after Labor Day.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think website photos and videos are helpful but when you talking about color, I believe you really do have to see it in person -- and best case is you have it and can examine it at leisure in your own environment in different lights at different times of day.

In my case, in photos and videos and PS threads I found myself drawn to warmer colors, and I visited GOG to look at an M AVC and purchased it and brought it home. But after several days of looking it in all kinds of conditions, for me I decided the warmer color was not what I wanted for this particular project (ER-type ring) and also I decided in general large culets are not for me. So I returned it knowing I need to look in the colorless/near colorless range and no larger than medium culets.

I also had bought an O-P Round Brilliant but ended up returning it because, although it was a gorgeous stone, color-wise it just did not look good sitting on my hand or between my fingers... (this really is one of my tests). Still, this O-P had strong fluor, and another O-P would likely have a different color or tint, so I'm not crossing O-Ps off my list. But, that O-P RB stone helped me realize I personally prefer warmer colors in the antique/antique-style cuts and not so much the modern cuts.

I definitely believe online vendors (at least the reputable ones) want us to buy their stones and to have the opportunity to see them in person -- that's why so many have the 30-day "return for any reason" policy.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree, you really need to see the color in person. I'm looking for an antique cushion and thought that I wanted one in the MNO range for character, but when I actually got to see a few and try them in different lighting I decided that I prefered the IJK range. Most reputable vendors realize this and offer 30 day or more return periods. Yssies right, your questions isn't off the wall, I think that GOG would work with you and I think you'd be crazy to purchase a lower colored stone without seeing it first...that goes for ANY stone!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1314722700|3005450 said:
ETA: I have a bunch of videos of my antique cushion diamond ring up on the popular video site, as well. I bet you could do a search and find them, and see what my O/P looks like in a bunch of different real-life lighting situations. I don't think I can link to it, but you'll recognize me if you see me there.

Thank you Haven! I have looked at your videos (many times in fact ;)) ) and they are just terrific! I do lOVE the look of your stone in your videos and your stone is the one that got me thinking about lower colors. Since the prices went up I've had to reevaluate my priorities. I initially wanted a more colorless stone and my cut off was an I but now I can't find an I in the size I want and in the price range I have in mind so I started looking at warmer colors in cushions and in RB's. And although I find them very, very beautiful in the pictures that I've seen I'm still concerned about the color IRL.

I've tried asking my local jeweler about getting an antique cushion and he basically told me he couln't (wouldn't?) get one. :(

He's trying to sell me a nice DeBeers diamond mined and cut in Canada and he's willing to give me a good deal but I don't know if I want to commit to a RB because my heart really wants a cushion....

I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet but getting closer. :bigsmile:

Thanks again Haven. I appreciate your input. :wavey:

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1314722534|3005446 said:
Cachette|1314718163|3005388 said:

Thanks!

Why not ask GOG how they can help you? Your question doesn't sound off the wall to me, I'm sure they'd be willing to work something out with you.

Thank you Yessie! I may just do that shortly. I'm really, really tempted...

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
moosemom|1314729784|3005563 said:
Hi Cachette - I just purchased and AVC 1.66ct SI1 L colored stone. I have only seen the beautiful AVC's here on Pricescope and watched practically all of the videos on them from GOG. I think the color will not bother me, but since I am uncertain I purchased the stone and am having it sent to me so I can see it in person. I asked GOG what happens if the color is not for me, and they said to ship it back to them. I have 30 days from the time I receive the stone to make up my mind and send it back. I probably will not need that long, I am guessing I will decide after examining the stone in different lighting etc. the first day. I am hoping I love it - then I will send it away to be set. If I do not however, I think they have a very fair policy. I would just have to pay for shipping it back and then they will refund my money less the $45 shipping fee it cost for them to ship me the stone. For such a high dollar purchase, I know I need to lay eyes on the stone myself and at worse it will cost me around $100 bucks - which is a lot less than a trip to NY. If I do not like the color - then I know to refocus my search for a higher color grade. I will let you know what I think of the color once it arrives - I am having it shipped after Labor Day.

Thank you for sharing your experience with GOG moosemom and good luck! I agree, 100$ is wayyyyy cheaper than a trip to NY but then again, that would be fun too! I've never been there and DH and I are planning to go next Fall.

Please come back and let me know what you think of the L. :wavey:

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
marymm|1314747155|3005825 said:
I think website photos and videos are helpful but when you talking about color, I believe you really do have to see it in person -- and best case is you have it and can examine it at leisure in your own environment in different lights at different times of day.

In my case, in photos and videos and PS threads I found myself drawn to warmer colors, and I visited GOG to look at an M AVC and purchased it and brought it home. But after several days of looking it in all kinds of conditions, for me I decided the warmer color was not what I wanted for this particular project (ER-type ring) and also I decided in general large culets are not for me. So I returned it knowing I need to look in the colorless/near colorless range and no larger than medium culets.

I also had bought an O-P Round Brilliant but ended up returning it because, although it was a gorgeous stone, color-wise it just did not look good sitting on my hand or between my fingers... (this really is one of my tests). Still, this O-P had strong fluor, and another O-P would likely have a different color or tint, so I'm not crossing O-Ps off my list. But, that O-P RB stone helped me realize I personally prefer warmer colors in the antique/antique-style cuts and not so much the modern cuts.

I definitely believe online vendors (at least the reputable ones) want us to buy their stones and to have the opportunity to see them in person -- that's why so many have the 30-day "return for any reason" policy.

Thank you marymm! This is exactly why I want to see it in person before I commit to having it set. I may be more color sensitive than I thought. Who know....

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1314754673|3005924 said:
I agree, you really need to see the color in person. I'm looking for an antique cushion and thought that I wanted one in the MNO range for character, but when I actually got to see a few and try them in different lighting I decided that I prefered the IJK range. Most reputable vendors realize this and offer 30 day or more return periods. Yssies right, your questions isn't off the wall, I think that GOG would work with you and I think you'd be crazy to purchase a lower colored stone without seeing it first...that goes for ANY stone!

Thanks for your feedback Christina! :wavey:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Haven I just found your videos and they are fabulous :) how did you take such amazing videos??

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Cachette - just received my L colored AVC today. I posted in Show Me the Bling if you want to check it out. To answer your question ... I think the videos from GOG depict the colors very well = at least it seemed to in the case of the stone I chose. I will say though, nothing is a substitute for having the diamond in your hot little hands to inspect and play with. I would definitely recommend having the diamond you are considering sent to you. In my case, the AVC was even nicer in person than I expected and the warm color didn't bother me at all. Good luck.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
moosemom|1314932359|3007954 said:
Cachette - just received my L colored AVC today. I posted in Show Me the Bling if you want to check it out. To answer your question ... I think the videos from GOG depict the colors very well = at least it seemed to in the case of the stone I chose. I will say though, nothing is a substitute for having the diamond in your hot little hands to inspect and play with. I would definitely recommend having the diamond you are considering sent to you. In my case, the AVC was even nicer in person than I expected and the warm color didn't bother me at all. Good luck.

Ditto to this, you have seen my thread in RT where I just posted some more photos that I think capture the color of an M, anways. I also think that Lovestreet did a great job caputuring the look of an AVC with M color in her thread.

What ct. size are you hoping to hit Cachette? It is a little pricier to do a lookie loo in Canada than in the US since shipping is $100 each way and you will need to do some extra paper work to get your taxes back in the event you return it, but well worth it IMO.

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock
I'm with Dreamer...its worth it. I ordered an M color AVC just to see it in person and it was nothing like I thought it would be. I thought it was beautiful, you would really be surprised!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315353330|3011109 said:
moosemom|1314932359|3007954 said:

Ditto to this, you have seen my thread in RT where I just posted some more photos that I think capture the color of an M, anways. I also think that Lovestreet did a great job caputuring the look of an AVC with M color in her thread.

What ct. size are you hoping to hit Cachette? It is a little pricier to do a lookie loo in Canada than in the US since shipping is $100 each way and you will need to do some extra paper work to get your taxes back in the event you return it, but well worth it IMO.

Dreamer, I`m hoping to get a size that faces up close to a 1.5 carat RB (give or take a few mms). I can only hit this size if I lower the color considerably and clarity isn`t a huge issue for me as long as it`s eye clean or the inclusion can be hidden by prongs. The nice thing about cushions is that some are cut a bit shallower than others so their spread is better and this is what I`m looking closely at. I like a bigger table also, anything between 49-52% with a high crown. I really like the "pillow" look for a cushion. I also prefer a more square look as opposed to a rectangular look. I guess I`m pretty fussy but I`m sure I`ll find the perfect diamond one day. :bigsmile: I really, really like the AVC you have on hand and moosemom`s stone. IMO they are just the perfect combo. :love:

Yes, being in Canada makes it a bit more complicated and this is something that`s holding me back a bit. The Canadian dollar is slipping again against the US dollar and I`m closely watching this also. It`s become quite the obsession this diamond hunting. Need to get another hobby. :devil:

Thanks again for your feedback Dreamer!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
HeatherL|1315355834|3011133 said:
I'm with Dreamer...its worth it. I ordered an M color AVC just to see it in person and it was nothing like I thought it would be. I thought it was beautiful, you would really be surprised!

Thanks HeatherL! I`m really curious to see one in person! Hopefully soon!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Have you ever seen Moissanite in person? It is beautiful, sparkly, and quite tinted. A couple years ago I had an AGS 0 M colored RB diamond and went into Helzberg to look at their clearance moissanite. The tinting of my diamond and moissanite were spot on with each other - only the moissanite costs a fraction of what a diamond does and sparkled just as much. It was that exact moment that I decided that if I am paying for a diamond then it is going to be colorless! Anyway, point is if you can find somebody with a moissanite that is what my M colored RB looked like.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1314814187|3006548 said:

Haven I just found your videos and they are fabulous :) how did you take such amazing videos??
Thanks, slg! We have a little video camera, it's not a flip, it looks like a small version of an old Game Boy, if that makes sense. Anyway, I just point and shoot. It has a macro setting, of course. The screen is so tiny that I never know if it's in focus until I upload it to my computer, though, so that's why there are so many fuzzy shots.
I'm a freak. I have a gajillion photos and videos of my new ring. I need to get another hobby. :cheeky:

Sparkly Blonde--That is REALLY interesting about the moissanite. I've never seen it in person, but had no idea that it was tinted. I'm off to go find some this week. You know, just so I can take a look . . . :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results