shape
carat
color
clarity

Lostlamb need a little help with diamonds

lostlamb

Rough_Rock
Hey Pricescopers,

I'm in the market for a ring and have been looking for a month for the 'perfect' stone within my budget, seems like the more homework and research I've done the harder it get.

Can any pros out here help me find a suitable diamond please!!

I am currently based in Aus and have a budget of 9-10k usd:

Ideally, I'd like the diamond to have the following quality :

Round
Cut: (this is the hardest as there's so many resources only super ideal, cut holloway score, rare carat, diamonscreener)
Colour : G
Clarity : VS1 - VVS2
Carat :1.3 - 1.45 (ideally >7mm in diameter)
Flur : None
Good certification like AGS ideal 0 GIA trip Ex

With so many resources available on the net, my main concern is not being able to buy the best diamond within my budget :( if any forum members can even recommend someone whom they've worked with that'd be great!

Would something like this from JA suits?

The diamond would be set in a simple 4 pronged solitaire setting.

Many thanks
Lostlamb

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @lostlamb

You would need to request the GIA report on that stone and post it here so we can have a look (please have it put on hold for you).

If you want to work with an Expert I believe Rhino at Distinctive Gems can help out.
**edited by moderator, no links to affiliate sales sites please**

If you want to go the Super Ideal route Whiteflash has one that gets you close to 7mm. It is marked as eye-clean. I would request some
more "regular" viewing distance pics for it. (this would be one of the "best "diamonds in your budget)

Dont feel lost! Help is nearby!

Last edited by a moderator:

lostlamb

Rough_Rock
Hey @tyty333,

I've attached 2 stones from JA I was able to find the same stone using the specs on rarecarat.

What are your thoughts on the cut? how is it compared to Whiteflash ? will the performance of the stone be significant?

Thanks!

cert.jpeg

Attachments

• 6325200129.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 52

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
IMHO This is certainly not ACA proportion quality. I’ve never seen stars at 45 on an mrb. I think 50-55 is generally what we see. Depth is a bit over and crown a tad steep for that pavillion. How are the images? It might be fine in reality but can you get an ASET?

Ooops, I see you asked tyty333. No doubt she will respond too.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feel free to comment @mwilliamanderson (or anyone)!

I would want aset images for both these stones. Their crowns and pavilions arent what we usually look for but an aset image will let us know
if they are ok or whether they are leaky. Ask JA if they can provide an aset image.

Did you put these stones on hold? Please put them on hold and post the links. Sometimes we can tell by just looking at the regular images.
(I see the first stone is the original one you posted).

You can also run the numbers through the HCA tool to see how they may perform. We usually eliminate any stone that scores over 2
(but close to 2 with an aset image could be ok). So stones that score 2 or under are usually good (lower is not necessarily better...just
look for 2 or under.

Just FYI...people dont like to download files to their computers/phones so its better to post an actual image of the GIA report (like you did for the
first one). You might get more feedback.

I will look around JA and see what they have.

Here are the ranges that usually provide a nicely cut stone. Of course its hard to search JA since the certs arent posted but you can set
the table and depth numbers in your search.

depth 60-62.3
table 54-58
crown 34-35 degrees
pavilion 40.6-41 degrees
(low crown pairs with higher pavilion and vice versa...34 crown goes with 41 pavilions and 35 crown goes with 40.6 pavilions.)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Might be worth a look. Not may stones popped up at 62 depth or less so this may be a little deep.

Would like an aset for these but I dont think BlueNile will provide. Worth asking though.

Strong Blue Fluor

Seems like a little bit slim pickings in your specs...hopefully someone can track some down.

lostlamb

Rough_Rock
IMHO This is certainly not ACA proportion quality. I’ve never seen stars at 45 on an mrb. I think 50-55 is generally what we see. Depth is a bit over and crown a tad steep for that pavillion. How are the images? It might be fine in reality but can you get an ASET?

Ooops, I see you asked tyty333. No doubt she will respond too.

Thanks for the feedback, any chance you know the ACA propotions off the top of your head, that way I'll just put them onto the advance filter and filter them down.

Feel free to comment @mwilliamanderson (or anyone)!

I would want aset images for both these stones. Their crowns and pavilions arent what we usually look for but an aset image will let us know
if they are ok or whether they are leaky. Ask JA if they can provide an aset image.

Did you put these stones on hold? Please put them on hold and post the links. Sometimes we can tell by just looking at the regular images.
(I see the first stone is the original one you posted).

You can also run the numbers through the HCA tool to see how they may perform. We usually eliminate any stone that scores over 2
(but close to 2 with an aset image could be ok). So stones that score 2 or under are usually good (lower is not necessarily better...just
look for 2 or under.

Just FYI...people dont like to download files to their computers/phones so its better to post an actual image of the GIA report (like you did for the
first one). You might get more feedback.

I will look around JA and see what they have.

Here are the ranges that usually provide a nicely cut stone. Of course its hard to search JA since the certs arent posted but you can set
the table and depth numbers in your search.

depth 60-62.3
table 54-58
crown 34-35 degrees
pavilion 40.6-41 degrees
(low crown pairs with higher pavilion and vice versa...34 crown goes with 41 pavilions and 35 crown goes with 40.6 pavilions.)

Thanks for the proportions I'll repost the GIA certs Asets and have the stone reserved so PS members can have a look.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, any chance you know the ACA propotions off the top of your head, that way I'll just put them onto the advance filter and filter them down.

The numbers that @tyty333 gave will get you close. However I am enough of a nerd to have taken random samples of ten or more diamonds from the 3 big companies, BGD, CBI and ACA. I can’t find it right now but I took a random sample today of 8 ACA’s. Here’s what I found

T 55.3-57.5
CA 34.3-34.7
PA 40.6-40.9
D 61.5-62
ST 51-53
LGF 76-77

Obviously if you look at a lot more diamonds you’ll get slightly bigger ranges but it gives you an idea of how tight the proportions are.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamond 2.JPG

cert.jpeg

I wouldn't consider the first one as it's too deep (at 63). The 2nd is right on the edge of too deep (I typically recommend people staying at 62.4 or less and the 2nd one is exactly 62.4). Did you run the 2nd one through the HCA calculator? It has potential, but would want to see an ASET if possible.

EDIT. I would choose the 1.28 from WF over the 2nd JA one becuase you have the advanced images already and it gets you super super close to 7mm

lostlamb

Rough_Rock
The numbers that @tyty333 gave will get you close. However I am enough of a nerd to have taken random samples of ten or more diamonds from the 3 big companies, BGD, CBI and ACA. I can’t find it right now but I took a random sample today of 8 ACA’s. Here’s what I found

T 55.3-57.5
CA 34.3-34.7
PA 40.6-40.9
D 61.5-62
ST 51-53
LGF 76-77

Obviously if you look at a lot more diamonds you’ll get slightly bigger ranges but it gives you an idea of how tight the proportions are.

Thanks for the proportions it was really helpful, I was thinking about doing that as well I've always thought that there was some kind of specifications to a 'super ideal cut' guess it all proprietary to different retailers.

I wouldn't consider the first one as it's too deep (at 63). The 2nd is right on the edge of too deep (I typically recommend people staying at 62.4 or less and the 2nd one is exactly 62.4). Did you run the 2nd one through the HCA calculator? It has potential, but would want to see an ASET if possible.

EDIT. I would choose the 1.28 from WF over the 2nd JA one becuase you have the advanced images already and it gets you super super close to 7mm

It seems like JA provide's lots of high quality images a diamond can still be to deep or shallow with all the 'arrows' I'll have a browse through WF and share a few stones that fit my budget here.

lostlamb

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I've found a couple more that sits within my budget any input would be greatly appreciated!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask WF for a picture of (top view and side view) of the largest H and the 2 "I" colored stones. You can also ask for them to
look at the stones and tell you where they are on the high end vs low end of the "I" range. Which one is a higher "I" or are they
the same?

I personally would go with the biggest "I" but I'm not very sensitive to color. Since you are in Australia we/you need to make double
sure that you are ok with an "I". If not, the 1.24 H would be my choice. They are all lovely stones (super Ideals). Hard to pick them
apart.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results