shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost or Stolen Diamond Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
I''m hoping someone can give me a little bit of advice...

I''m not sure if my ring was lost or stolen. I had a 1.46ct E VS2 marquise center (GIA cert.), with 3/4 ct in the setting. I also have an appraisal for the ring with a picture of it.

Is there any way without laser inscription to get a diamond back? If it fell into GIA''s hands again, will they know that they''ve graded it before? It was appraised at $17,000, and I just don''t know what to do ...

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
If it fell into GIA's hands again, will they know that they've graded it before? ----------------

There was an article about this very topic in the Summer 2004 issue of "The Loupe - GIA World News".

Seems that the GIA GTL helped Scotland Yard recover diamonds from a heist estimated at $15-20 million dollars when some of the stones were (re)submitted for grading.

Turns out that info contained in the Diamond Grading Report is permanently filed in the Lab's Horizon Database. GIA records the size, nature, number, position, color and alignment/orientation of a significant number of inclusions unique for each diamond during the grading process. This data, in addition to several other recorded factors, such as the weight, measurements, proportions, polish, symmetry, color and fluorescence, provide the algorithms that calculate potential matches to other diamonds in the database. The GIA computer processors can compare some or all fo these characteristics with those of diamonds previously indentified in the database as lost or stolen.

Even when diamonds have been recut to change their original carat weight and proportions in an attempt to avoid being detected, the algorithms take this factor into acccount and the database is able to identify these items as being the same.

If the diamonds don't have personalized insscriptions, GIA's trained gemologists rely on their skills, in conjunction with info in the database to positively identify a stolen diamond.

Good Luck

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Wouldn't it be nice is they could offer Gemprint for a stone at a slightly higher cost? That way each stone is catalogued in their system and there is no need to rely on the human eye to possibly catch a recycled stone. Maybe in the future...

Tarams

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for your help. I have alerted GIA. With a copy of the police report, they were able to "flag" my diamond, and will know it if they come across it again. Their technology is incredible!

My ring still hasn''t turned up so I''ve started looking to replace the center stone. Any references of someone who would be willing to work with me would be appreciated. Thanks again; you guys are great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results