shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost and Found

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ujwinchell

Rough_Rock
I found what looks to be a diamond in an airport parking lot. It''s a round cut but I think the point is chipped and it may have scratches. Do you suppose it''s actually a CZ with that kind of damage? I''m a block from 47th st in NYC but wanted another opinion before i ask for an appraisal. THANKS!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It *could* be a diamond (they can indeed get damaged) but your best bet is to take it to an appraiser. Without seeing it there is no way anyone can tell you if it''s real.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it could indeed be a diamond, it isn't unheard of for the culet or pointed part to chip. You mention scratches which makes me wonder, diamond is a very difficult substance to scratch, does it look like actual scratches on the surface or are they more inside the diamond? In that case they could be inclusions or feathers, but if they are on the actual surface, and you can feel them with your fingernails or by running a needle over them, it could be that it isn't diamond, although it is possible to have an open inclusion you can feel on the surface..I would maybe take the stone to a jeweller and get them to look at it in the first instance to see what you actually have. Has anyone advertised in Lost Property a missing diamond at the airport etc?

ujwinchell

Rough_Rock
No one reported it missing but we''re all pretty cynical about recovering a lost diamond. I''ll have it appraised then go from there.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
So that sounds like a totally thrilling feeling! Finding a stone that might be a diamond! Wow! If course I''d be a little skeptical because of the scratches, but it sounds exciting nonetheless, particuarly for a Monday. I''ll be anxious to hear what the jeweler says!

ujwinchell

Rough_Rock
The suspense is over - it''s a CZ (too bad so sad!)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
bummer, same thing happened to me once. I found one diamond stud and it was in a 14k gold setting...but the diamond was not a diamond.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Bummer! On the other hand, my mother had a killer CZ bracelet, lost it at a restaurant, and someone actually turned it in! They thought it was real and wouldn''t want anyone to be out of such an important piece. Pretty funny!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Had that experience. My husband picked up a loose stone from a parking lot. It was 10mm. I could see it was fake though from all the scratches on it. No doubt a car ran it over! I think a diamond would not scratch like that. I still have it, never did test it, but I am sure it''s a fake. Must have fallen out of it''s setting.

Wish it were real!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results