shape
carat
color
clarity

Lose a lengthy post, ready to bash your head against the computer? How to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen a couple posts recently where somebody lost a long post. I know how frustrating it is. I have encountered this numerous times over the years, and finally wised up.

If my post is more than one or two sentences, I save it, so IF it disintegrates before my very eyes, I can just post it over in a couple clicks. Here''s how.

After you''re done typing, put the cursor at the upper left corner where your post begins. Right click and hold down. Drag it diagonally down to the bottom right end of your post. It will then have highlighted the whole post.

Then put your cursor anywhere on the highlighted part and right click. Options will appear, left click on copy. Then go ahead and submit. If it disappears, simply get back in relpy mode, right click, (the options appear again) and left click paste. Voila, there''s your whole post back.

HTH

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i actually have a few more reasons that can induce head bashing, do you have any other helpful suggestions?
20.gif

most of the time i try to remember to copy the post, ESPECIALLY if it is lengthy because it just totally stinks when you lose all of that effort.
39.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have experienced that way too many times recently, especially ones that I did a lot of thinking over or researching. It sucks. I have to make myself remember to copy it before submission just in case it decides to experience an error.
29.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I get an error I just hit the "back" button and it takes you to the previous page with your post again. You can''t simply click resubmit because the button isn''t black any more after an error, but you can highlight it, ctrl C, go back into the thread, and cntrl V at that point.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, gee belle, come over here and tell me they are, maybe.
9.gif
2.gif

And chrono, YES, it''s the one where I had researched and put SO much thought into that really made me want to just go out and kill someone.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 9:27:42 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
If I get an error I just hit the ''back'' button and it takes you to the previous page with your post again. You can''t simply click resubmit because the button isn''t black any more after an error, but you can highlight it, ctrl C, go back into the thread, and cntrl V at that point.
That''s interesting, because when I''ve tried to go back, nothing''s there.
29.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same here. The back button brings me back to a blank page. If it is an edit, then the original text is still there, but if it is a new reply, everything is gone.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 9:30:35 AM
Author: Ellen

If I get an error I just hit the ''back'' button and it takes you to the previous page with your post again. You can''t simply click resubmit because the button isn''t black any more after an error, but you can highlight it, ctrl C, go back into the thread, and cntrl V at that point.
That''s interesting, because when I''ve tried to go back, nothing''s there.
29.gif
nothing for me either...EVER!
39.gif
hence the acute, all consuming, ferocious insanity

can you tell i''ve been burned a few times?
37.gif

ellen, i''ll be over later
28.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Do you mind if I practice this trick?

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country....

widget

Ideal_Rock

Yay!!!! It worked! Thanks, Ellen!

(I do have to say, sometimes when I lose a lengthy post, I get the feeling that a "Higher Power" is telling me I''m blathering on too much and would be better off not it posting at all...and sometimes I think that HP is right!!! LOL)

widget

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 9:50:26 AM
Author: widget

Yay!!!! It worked! Thanks, Ellen!

(I do have to say, sometimes when I lose a lengthy post, I get the feeling that a ''Higher Power'' is telling me I''m blathering on too much and would be better off not it posting at all...and sometimes I think that HP is right!!! LOL)

widget
36.gif

LOL! I don''t think it''s the HP, unless you mean Hewlett Packard.
9.gif
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if it matters if you're on the board through Explorer or Mozilla? I'm on through Mozilla.

Widget, did you somehow manage to generate an error to test this or just try it in error-free? I wonder if there would be a difference then too; i.e., you could do it error free but with an error it would not work, like it doesn't for the others.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 9:54:23 AM
I wonder if it matters if you''re on the board through Explorer or Mozilla? I''m on through Mozilla.
i am sure it does. i''ve tried other browsers but i guess i don''t always like change and i stick to what i''m used to.
of course, never losing a post would be a BIG bonus
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if it matters if you''re on the board through Explorer or Mozilla? I''m on through Mozilla.

Widget, did you somehow manage to generate an error to test this or just try it in error-free? I wonder if there would be a difference then too; i.e., you could do it error free but with an error it would not work, like it doesn''t for the others.
Possibly...I''m on Explorer. What about Ellen and Belle? Are you two on Explorer too?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Widget, did you somehow manage to generate an error to test this or just try it in error-free? I wonder if there would be a difference then too; i.e., you could do it error free but with an error it would not work, like it doesn''t for the others.
It might, I know different browsers do/allow different things. I use IE because if I don''t, I can''t do links on here.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
DEEJAY - are you on a mac? when i''m on my mac laptop at home, i can hit the back button and my message is still there. when i''m on a pc when i hit the back button it''s gone.
6.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only reason I come through Mozilla is because last spring I made a change to my profile, taking off my e-mail address for the whole world to see LOL. This resulted in me NOT EVER being able to log in again with my old user name and password (that''s why I''m out there as Dee Jay [no astersik] with 240 or so posts, and now my current status of Dee*Jay). Anyway, I ultimately ended up making the new user name, but in my efforts to try everything to figure out how to get back on I stumbled across the idea of using Mozilla, which works better for me on this board. Whenever I''m having a problem with Explorer I''ll try something on Mozilla (and vice versa) and it sometimes makes a difference. Pearlman''s site is one example; in Moxilla it''s SOOOO SLOW (and sometimes even times out) but on Explorer it zips right along.

And no, no Mac, just a regular ol'' Dell at work and an HP (that''s Hewlett Packard for you ELLEN!) at home.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
interesting dee*jay.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
The ladies who are using Explorer.....your experience is consistent with mine. When I hit the back button, it returns to an empty reply window.

What I believe happens is your login times out, and you can''t post if you aren''t logged in. That''s why it ''eats'' your post.

To avoid this, you can copy prior to posting as Ellen suggested. Another solution? Before you''re ready to submit, open a second Explorer window and go to PS on that. Get to the forum and log in. Then return to the other Explorer window with your long post and hit ''submit''. It will go through then.

I''ve gotten into the habit of copying prior to posting, mostly because you can lose your post if you happen to hit the ''submit'' button at exactly the same time someone else is replying to the post.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep i copy my post continuously as i go along basically. it's like a routine now. you can also just do a control C rather than the pulldown from the top.

also when i hit back button my post is not there, it might be browser differences.

but ellen do you ever wonder when this happens if maybe the PS gods are trying to tell you something?
31.gif
hehehee. the one or two times i have gotten the error and somehow not copied (like typically if i am hurrying to post), i think okay well maybe i should rethink what i am posting OR make it a little shorter since i can carry on. HEE. so then i try to appease them!

two reasons it might be doing this, someone else is trying to post as well OR you have something in your post that is 'censored' aka a bad word or something by the filters. however i have had it happen where it won't let me post continuously so i am thinking i have a bad word but if i go back and read it, i don't...so then i have tried chopping the post up into 2-3 paragraphs then trying to post the first one, then 'edit' to add the rest, it will let me. so go figure.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
on a pc i use maxthon and it''s clean as a whistle when i hit back. on the mac i use safari and it''s all right where i left it when i hit the back button.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 10:10:37 AM
Author: aljdewey
The ladies who are using Explorer.....your experience is consistent with mine. When I hit the back button, it returns to an empty reply window.

What I believe happens is your login times out, and you can''t post if you aren''t logged in. That''s why it ''eats'' your post.

To avoid this, you can copy prior to posting as Ellen suggested. Another solution? Before you''re ready to submit, open a second Explorer window and go to PS on that. Get to the forum and log in. Then return to the other Explorer window with your long post and hit ''submit''. It will go through then.

I''ve gotten into the habit of copying prior to posting, mostly because you can lose your post if you happen to hit the ''submit'' button at exactly the same time someone else is replying to the post.
logging out does occur but i usually run into a deadlock...or whatever it is called.. and everything gets lost
39.gif

either way..copying is good.

mara, i am LOL at the thought of the system rejecting your lenghty posts
41.gif
it is a feat in itself to have as many posts as you do in general (what are you at now? 50thousand?
9.gif
) but it ain''t like you''ve posted 25k one liners... most of them are tomes!
34.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
alj, this has happened when I''m definitely logged in. Sounds like there could be a myriad of reasons why...I do check to see if I''m still logged in if I''ve left PS on and gone off to do stuff though.

Mara, lol. No, the posts I used to lose were actually quite helpful, and no bad words either.
11.gif
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, Ctrl+A to select all, then Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste. I just wish I was in the habit of doing it every time...my computer would have a lot less dings on it!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 9:11:44 AM
Author:Ellen
I have seen a couple posts recently where somebody lost a long post. I know how frustrating it is. I have encountered this numerous times over the years, and finally wised up.

If my post is more than one or two sentences, I save it, so IF it disintegrates before my very eyes, I can just post it over in a couple clicks. Here''s how.

After you''re done typing, put the cursor at the upper left corner where your post begins. Right click and hold down. Drag it diagonally down to the bottom right end of your post. It will then have highlighted the whole post.

Then put your cursor anywhere on the highlighted part and right click. Options will appear, left click on copy. Then go ahead and submit. If it disappears, simply get back in relpy mode, right click, (the options appear again) and left click paste. Voila, there''s your whole post back.

HTH
I do this except I do right click-select all-copy..... I just forget to do this sometimes
7.gif
Some inputboxes will hold the info in the cache I think but not all do.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
when I hit back the form is there - and its blank and empty

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

that could be, but other sites I occasion do work to hit the back button.... it might be a combination of browser and the code for the input box???

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I get an error I just hit the 'back' button and it takes you to the previous page with your post again. You can't simply click resubmit because the button isn't black any more after an error, but you can highlight it, ctrl C, go back into the thread, and cntrl V at that point.

Yeah this works for me too!!! I haven't really lost one yet. I'm on a Mac and use Camino or Mozilla.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 12:14:20 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

that could be, but other sites I occasion do work to hit the back button.... it might be a combination of browser and the code for the input box???
Could be.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 12:14:56 PM
Author: neatfreak

Yeah this works for me too!!! I haven''t really lost one yet. I''m on a Mac and use Camino or Mozilla.
Well now, you just don''t KNOW what you''re missing!
9.gif
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results