shape
carat
color
clarity

Los Angeles to San Jose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of you up north, so I thought maybe you can help!

I''m taking a last minute trip up to Cuppertino (friend''s flying home from Philly--last minute), and I was hoping to find out what Friday traffic conditions are like? I have to leave L.A. by 11am, otherwise I''d hit traffic getting outta here. That means I''ll get there around 4pm... are there a lot of cars going into SJ? Or are most people leaving? After I get there, I have a few hours to kill... my friends aren''t getting there till about 8pm.

What''s there to do in the meantime? I''m not limited to SJ... anything on the way or a bit out of the way is fine too since I have so much time. Gilroy Outlets? Is that place still decent? I have not driven up in 5 years so I have no idea what''s on the way.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!
5.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2005 1:14:19 AM
Author:ForteKitty
There are a lot of you up north, so I thought maybe you can help!

I''m taking a last minute trip up to Cuppertino (friend''s flying home from Philly--last minute), and I was hoping to find out what Friday traffic conditions are like? I have to leave L.A. by 11am, otherwise I''d hit traffic getting outta here. That means I''ll get there around 4pm... are there a lot of cars going into SJ? Or are most people leaving? After I get there, I have a few hours to kill... my friends aren''t getting there till about 8pm.

What''s there to do in the meantime? I''m not limited to SJ... anything on the way or a bit out of the way is fine too since I have so much time. Gilroy Outlets? Is that place still decent? I have not driven up in 5 years so I have no idea what''s on the way.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!
5.gif
FK
on a friday at 4pm? i think the traffic conditions there in SJ will be bumper to bumper.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
bumper to bumper going into SJ from the south? hmmph.. should I leave earlier then?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2005 2
6.gif
7:31 AM
Author: ForteKitty
bumper to bumper going into SJ from the south? hmmph.. should I leave earlier then?
FK
websailor probably can give you a better traffic report he lives closer to the area.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
The Winchester Mystery House could be neat if you haven''t seen it already.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
i second the winchester house
but if you wanna avoid traffic, spending some time at the gilroy outlets isnt a bad idea.... hehe at least in my opinion!
not sure abt SJ traffic around 4, i imagine not so hot.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen the Winchester House already!
1.gif

How''s Valley Fair Mall?

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
hm.. not familiar w/that mall... unless it''s an outdoor mall i''m thinking of... don''t think it was called valley fair... ah yes, found it on google, it''s called santana row, it''s got all the high end frou frou places like gucci, but it''s sure nice just to window shop (for me, at least! hehe) and there''s a nice bar in hotel valencia, called v bar.

it''s a bit outta the way but have you been to stanford campus? they''ve got a beautiful church and it''s just gorgeous to walk around the campus and shop the cute stores on university. i could have my directions all mixed up but I don''t think palo alto is too far from cupertino.

theres also some techonology museum down in SJ, I''ve never been but it''s been recommended by toursity mags- maybe you could check out the website or something.... ?!
20.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
hey whaddaya know- valley fair is right next to santana row! see the map

boy i need to go to sleep...
32.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been to those places too!
9.gif

Hmm, Valley Fair''s next to Santana Row? that''s not too far from my friend''s house. I''ll probably just go there... there has to be a bookstore I can sit in for a couple of hours.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy.. just looked at the Valley Fair directory. I think i''ll like shopping there!
9.gif
My poor wallet might not tho...
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forget Valley Fair, go to Santana!!!

I love it there, lots of fabulous places to shop which I cannot afford due to my diamond habit, a great bakery with some amazing pastries and good coffee (a must!), a cutie dog boutique store (hehe), a great stationery store, a soap store, a beautiful flower kiosk, a Borders, and today the weather is absolutely fabulous so you HAVE to be outside!!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Borders? I"m there!
9.gif
I''ll have at least 4 hours to kill, so I''ll probably go to both places. Thanks guys!!

Alright, I hate people who are always late. We were supposed to leave at 10. Grr...

Mara, what''s the name of that bakery?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forget but Santana is not that large, it is basically two long rows of shops and restaurants with a street in-between, kind of European feel.

The bakery/cafe is right across from Straits Cafe (the Singaporean place), and there is outdoor seating etc, so you cannot miss it. It's closer to the Crate and Barrel side than the other end.

The weather today is HOT! Feels like 80 already. Have fun!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
shopping on such a beautiful california day?! why not stop off in san juan bautista [right off 101 and within striking distance of sjose] and walk around a bit in a piece of of california history? visit the bakery [yummy breads], see the mission featured in the movie Vertigo, walk the grounds [should be in bloom now], visit a historical building or two, walk the old streets, have a drink in one of the bars, eat outside at one of the mexican restaurants.

peace, movie zombie

ps and if you''re absolutely certain you have to shop, the i agree that Santana Row is the place! and you can pretend you''re somewhere in europe.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I like Valley Fair mall! One of the best malls I've been to IMO. I like it better than South Coast Plaza cuz I can't afford the fancy stuff.

Plus, teh food court there is the best I've seen yet. When I was last there a couple years ago, the Mongolian BBQ place let you squish the meat down and pile on as many noodles as you want. The Sharka's chicken teriyaki place is good too.

I'd go earlier to avoid traffic. But isn't Valley Fair more north than SJ? I'd go there from Mountain View but I recall heading South, but not hitting San Jose yet.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we adore san juan, we go once a month on a saturday to have lunch at one of the mexican places on the main street, it's called Jardines San Juan and it's fabulous, their albondigas soup is yummmmyyy and their chocolate mousse is yummmyyyy.

they also have outdoor seating on nice days and their grounds are very fun and they have excellent margaritas!

cute boutiques too, and we love the mission.

codex, SJ is huge and has sprawling boundaries, Santana & VF is technically in SJ but borders Santa Clara.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh, gotcha. Didn''t realize SJ is so big. Is it bigger in physical territory than even LA?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think the winchester house is neat even if you''ve been in it before! been in and out of there since i was about 12 and they''ve done a great job of opening new areas, with the grounds, etc.

and for a special kick: do one of the night tours if they''re still doing them around halloween!

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results