shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newsmart

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I was wondering if I buy a loose diamond from internet, how I mount it on the setting. Is it easy to do it by myself or should I go to the professional and ask them do it?
Secondly, seems there is only one appraiser listed for Boston area in the appraiser''s page, do I have any other choice?

Thanks a lot.

Jeff

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Jeff, your question is excellent and one that we receive several times per week so we're glad to see it being asked here on a public forum. Although it is easier for a gemologist to evaluate the diamond you purchase while it is unmounted, it is possible for them to verify the diamond in comparison to the lab report while the diamond is mounted. Thus you may elect to purchase the diamond loose or have it mounted by the vendor you purchase the diamond from - if they have the setting you desire. Be aware that many jewelers will not set a diamond that they haven't sold - most claim that this is because of liability, but we think it more of a high pressure sales tactic since our "jewelers block" provides insurance coverage for the work we do...

- the gemologists listed here are independent in that they do not sell diamonds or jewelry to the public.[/u][/u]

newsmart

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much Mr. Gray. One more question: do you know what's the cost for appraising a diamond(say I buy it from internet)?
Jeff

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Jeff, the fee usually varies according the geographical area you're in, the individual appraiser's pricing structure, the comprehensiveness of the report, and the size of the diamond. Following is an example from my fee sheet:

Appraisal Fees (based on rate of $90 per hour) -

Comprehensive Solitaire Diamond Report
0.50 – 0.99 carat : $75
1.00 – 1.99 carat : $95-115
2.00 – 2.99 carat : $115-125
3.00 – 3.99 carat : $125-145
4.00 – 4.99 carat : $145-165
5.00 – 5.99 carat : $165-175
6.00 carats & up : $175+ $10 per ct over 5 ct.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The price of an appraisal depends on the extent of the services being provided, if all you're looking for is verification that the diamond you've purchased matches the characteristics of the diamond described on the lab report that is probably less expensive than if you want the gemologist to evaluate the diamond from the ground up. We've had some gemologists tell us that they charge $125.00 per hour to provide an evaluation - often times because they are answering all of the questions for the buyer that should have been answered by the seller - and others charge $160.00 per carat. Best advice we can give you is to contact some of the gemologists on our appraisers page and discuss their costs and services...

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
- the gemologists listed here are independent in that they do not sell diamonds or jewelry to the public.
----------------

Hello Robin & Todd Gray,

We are an indepedent AGS appraisal lab in Connecticut with clients in the New England Area. We were in the Boston area just this Saturday. We have portabe labs and are willing to travel. How can we get on your listings by state? We are a team of Certified Gemologist Appraisers and Registered Jewelers with over 40 yeas in the jewelery business between us. There are two of us in the office so we get to bounce opinions off each other. This is really invaluable when things come up that are on the questionable side. The AGS is the only appraisal organization that has the requirements of not buying and selling. This is why we chose to stick with them. Please check out our website. Cindy

[/u][/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results