shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for thoughts on a few...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

imanta

Rough_Rock
I have a few different diamonds I am looking at and any insight is appreciated.

All of these are Round (Brilliant)

# Crts Cer C Clty Price Dpth Tabl Pol Sym Dims
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. 1.39 EGL E IF $8,795 62.6 62 7.13-7.07-4.45
2. 1.29 EGL F VVS2 $7,368 62.4 59 G VG 6.97-6.91-4.33
3. 1.25 GIA G VVS1 $8,736 59.8 60 VG VG 6.97-7.04-4.19
4. 1.22 GIA G VVS1 $8,744 61.8 58 6.81-6.92-4.24
5. 1.26 EGL G VVS2 $5,292 60.1 61 VG G 6.99-6.92-4.18

As you can see, my little Excel spreadhseet has been growing :) I am a little hesitant with EGL as I am not familiar with them. This stone will be mounted in a six prong Tiffany gold setting. I am really just looking for insight from everyone on what looks like a good deal. The 1.39 definitely jumps out given the Color and Clarity and Size for the price, but am I missing something? Are these comporable to what is out there?

Thanks for any help.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
My initial impressions:

Why buy a VVS1 or VVS2? Even with a loupe you will have trouble finding inclusions in a VS2. To buy a VVS you pay a lot more for something you cannot see, but you do not get the satisfaction of having something that is "flawless."

The cuts are just okay -- the tables a bit big.

Which EGL cert? If it's a European EGL lab, you cannot trust that it is accurrate.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Caratz. Make sure EGL reports are from NY lab. EGL labs in Belgium and Israel consedered less strict.

imanta

Rough_Rock
Alright, so I will be weary on the EGL thing no big deal. On the VVS versus VS, I am curious about your comment. In terms of making an investment and in terms of visability to the wearer and others around her :)) is one a better choice than the other?

Thanks.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
I do not know enough to comment on investment performance of VVS vs. VS

I can comment on clarity. VS2 is eye clean. In fact, SI1 is eye clean almost all of the time too. The difference between VS2 and SI1 is that -- with a loupe! -- if you are not a trained gemologist it will probably take you awhile before you can spot any inclusions in the VS2, but you will probably see at least one inclusion right away in an SI1.

You can get a hell of a lot more stone going with VS2 or SI1 than you can get going with VVS!

imanta

Rough_Rock
There was also a comment about the Table being big. I was curious what this means and what a good range would be?

Thanks.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
62% table is rather large by American standards. 62.6% total depth and 62% table indicates a deep cut.

62.4 and 59 sounds deep as well. Others might have a chance to be a good cut if combination of crown and pavilion angles is right.

regarding diamond cut.

[/u][/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results