Diamond Specs:

• Round Diamond
  • Size: 2 - 2.4 ct
  • Depth: 60 - 62.5%
  • Table: 54- 57%
  • Crown angle: 34- 35 degrees
  • Pavilion angle: 40.6- 41 degrees
  • Girdle: thin to slightly thick, thin to medium ➙ lower girdles 75%-80%
  • Color: G or above ****would consider an I if everything else could meet criteria***
  • Clarity: SI1 or higher (very important to be eye clean)
  • Star Facets: 50%-55%
  • Cut: excellent
  • Symmetry: excellent
  • Polish: excellent
  • Optical performance: excellent
  • HCA score <2
  • Certifications: GIA or AGS

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You didn't say what your budget was, but have you checked Whiteflash? Their A Cut Above diamonds are beautiful and will satisfy all your cut requirements.

Kahrioka10

Rough_Rock
You didn't say what your budget was, but have you checked Whiteflash? Their A Cut Above diamonds are beautiful and will satisfy all your cut requirements.
Whiteflash for sure has a beautiful diamonds selection, so does Brian Gavin. Our budget is around 20k. We are have been talking to a friend of a friend's jeweler (from my boyfriend's hometown). He has sent us 3 diamonds certificates - we have not looked at the diamonds or discussed prices yet. They are GIA certified. One is 2.4 ct F-SI1 - the other one is 2.07 D VS2 (Triple Exc) and the last one is 2.0 H S1 (Exc cut and symmetry, but very good polish). At WF I found a few diamonds (I color) within our price range, but anything above I is much more. My question is: Is it better to sacrifice the color in order to have the above average cut? Is the look in person (naked eyes) that much better than the GIA triple EXC? Thank you in advance for your help!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the reports on the above stones...skip the VG polish one.

You'll get all your parameters from a Super Ideal vendor plus H&A, plus a really good trade-up policy if you ever decide you want to up the color
(or size). Super Ideal vendors have all the images to prove a stone is an ideal performer. Can you get those images on the above stones?
If you can, post them here so we can have a look (along with the reports).

Kahrioka10

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, he only sent me the GIA reports. no pics of the diamonds. Don't want to make the wrong decision, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

2.07 GIA.jpeg 2.40 GIA.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not really liking the proportions of either. The first one is a steep/deep, and the second will look kind of flat.

I agree that I don’t like the proportions on either of them, either. Not an expert, but I don’t think those crown and pavillion angles are going to work well together for either stone.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plug your requirements into the search tool above (under “resources” tab). That should give you a start on availability and pricing.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No on the first one ...not complimentary crown/pavilion angles.
No on the second one...low crown, low pavilion, largish table = flat top

These are very close to your budget and are G/H
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4107634.htm look at the Brilliance video
Expert selection...says Inquire for eye-clean. Again, look at the Brilliance video to see what you think

This one is reserved right now...may or may not become available

JA...if you ever want to update you have to spend 2x, WF is spend more than your current stone (1x) Thats why people are advising
if you cant get what you actually want at this time purchase from someone that has a 1x trade up.

Last edited:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't get an i color unless you're sure that the color won't bother you.
Many ppl recommend super ideal cuts, but only you can decide what is most important to you. what your eyes see, what your mind likes (mind clean ) and your heart loves!
Keep in mind, some ppl prefer larger tables, or puffier crowns or don't mind less than perfect cut.

Kahrioka10

Rough_Rock
To stay at your budget, you would have to go to an I color for a super ideal. However, as others have said, because Whiteflash has such a great trade in policy, you would always have the option of trading up in color as the years and funds allowed.

Meanwhile, there is this: Diamond | 2.168 ct I VS2 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Super Ideal Round Cut Loose Diamond AGS Certified | 4312096 (whiteflash.com) and the wire pricing keeps you almost at your budget max.
[/QUOTETha

Thanks for the info, this is a really nice diamond. We just wanted to see what we could buy for 20k. It's so hard to shop for a fair deal when there are so many variables involved in the price. We don't mind paying a bit more for something nicer. Just don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Kahrioka10

Rough_Rock
No on the first one ...not complimentary crown/pavilion angles.
No on the second one...low crown, low pavilion, largish table = flat top

These are very close to your budget and are G/H
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4107634.htm look at the Brilliance video
Expert selection...says Inquire for eye-clean. Again, look at the Brilliance video to see what you think

This one is reserved right now...may or may not become available

JA...if you ever want to update you have to spend 2x, WF is spend more than your current stone (1x) Thats why people are advising
if you cant get what you actually want at this time purchase from someone that has a 1x trade up.

Thank you so much for taking the time to send me these links. We would like to make a decision before the end of this month. Will look at some jewelry stores in the my area this wk to find a nice setting, then finalize the diamond purchase. In your opinion, do you think WF is a better site to purchase from than JA? The diamonds at JA seems cheaper, just wondering why?
We said 20k budget, but wouldn't mind paying a little more to do it right and not have to worry about upgrading anytime soon.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to Whiteflash.com and read about their A Cut Above diamonds. It is quite detailed and explains how their diamonds are selected. They have a fabulous upgrade policy as well with no minimum requirement - spend a dollar more to upgrade.
James Allen has many virtual stones meaning they are not in house. They no longer provide GIA certs unless they are requested. Sometimes they can provide images and sometimes not. Their upgrade policy requires you to spend a specified amount to upgrade. Some of their prices on some diamonds are less expensive but the cut quality is not on par with WF’s branded stones.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results