shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for pics of knife-edge pave band with plain knife edge ering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking of getting a custom Ritani inspired ering (the non-halo) with a pave basket and knife edge shoulders (un-paved) with a ~1ct RB centre, and a knife edge pave wband.

But this is really hard to imagine...I''ve attached a really bad photoshop rendition from rings that I have found on Pricescope. The ring in the pic is a (I think) 2ct cushion (
30.gif
)...

I was wondering if anyone had any pics of real-life erings or wedding bands that match what I described above? I prefer White Gold/Platinum but will take any YG pics too! Or any suggestions too (ie. knife edge bands are really uncomfotable, etc.) are welcome.

Thanks!

IMG_4031_lkj.jpg

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
This is funny, because that''s my ering in the mock-up, and I''m trying to find a WB. I''m not sure I want a matching knife edge pave WB (which would be an obvious choice), so I was thinking of a plain band. However, now I REALLY kind of think a plain ER shank and a pave WB would have been perfect!! So, I think your idea is brilliant. Knife edge pave doesn''t seem all that popular on PS, except for the couple Danhov rings. However, for me it was a perfect choice to get micropave in the band thickness I wanted. I specified a very flat knife edge, so it''s definitely comfortable, just as much as a rounded band I think. However, if you got a plain E-ring shank, you''d probably want it sharper than mine to give it that knife-edge look. I like a rounded shank, so I''m leaning towards a rounded 3 sided or 3 row pave 3/4 eternity band. But my mind changes like the weather
1.gif

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 222px">Date: 2/5/2007 2:34:57 PM
Author: bargaincrazy
This is funny, because that's my ering in the mock-up, and I'm trying to find a WB. I'm not sure I want a matching knife edge pave WB (which would be an obvious choice), so I was thinking of a plain band. However, now I REALLY kind of think a plain ER shank and a pave WB would have been perfect!! So, I think your idea is brilliant. Knife edge pave doesn't seem all that popular on PS, except for the couple Danhov rings. However, for me it was a perfect choice to get micropave in the band thickness I wanted. I specified a very flat knife edge, so it's definitely comfortable, just as much as a rounded band I think. However, if you got a plain E-ring shank, you'd probably want it sharper than mine to give it that knife-edge look. I like a rounded shank, so I'm leaning towards a rounded 3 sided or 3 row pave 3/4 eternity band. But my mind changes like the weather
1.gif

Date: 2/5/2007 3:27:24 PM
Author: MustangGal
My set is pretty much what you're looking for, but all my pics are on the computer at home. I'll get some pictures up tonight. I really like the look, I have this band: http://www.shaneco.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?ProductID=16298&PageLevelID=78&fromPage= with a Scott Kay knife edge.
Bargincrazy: I LOVE your ring, it is such a beautiful custom job. I am just trying to cut back on the $$ a teensie bit and using a plain E-ring band and a 3/4 eternity wband. But I think I kind of like the contrast of the plain against the pave. I was actually wondering what you did for a W-band too but there is no way of emailing other posters on the board! And yes, I haven't found a lot of knife edge pave on the board. I really like it because it has a nice delicate look to it and you can see it from all angles like a 3 sided pave but I think it will rub less against rings that are beside it. Will a 3 row band fit under your E-ring? And how wide are you thinking for a W-band (and how wide is your E-ring?) If you try on different bands I would love to see some pictures!!
30.gif
Please! And what made you decide against the milgrain, or was it even a consideration? I'm completely torn 50:50 to have and not to have milgrain around the pave. ...Sorry for all the questions...
19.gif

MustangGal: Yes, a similar band to that was my first introduction to knife edge pave and then I found Leon Mege's website...sooo pretty! I knew I had to have knife edge pave...So you have the plain knife edge E-ring band, do you find it comfortable? What about the wband? Is it the full eternity band? How wide is it and your ering? I can't WAIT to see the pics!!! And by the way, GREAT deal on ebay for your ring!

OOOHhhh the QUESTIONS! I'm so excitied, I thought no one was going to answer this post because it seemed like a different look than what I have seen here (and trust me, I have been over the Show Me The Ring forum hundreds of times!). Thanks again!
emteeth.gif

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 6:28:54 PM
Author: blingergrrrl
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 222px">Date: 2/5/2007 2:34:57 PM

Bargincrazy: I LOVE your ring, it is such a beautiful custom job. I am just trying to cut back on the $$ a teensie bit and using a plain E-ring band and a 3/4 eternity wband. But I think I kind of like the contrast of the plain against the pave. I was actually wondering what you did for a W-band too but there is no way of emailing other posters on the board! And yes, I haven't found a lot of knife edge pave on the board. I really like it because it has a nice delicate look to it and you can see it from all angles like a 3 sided pave but I think it will rub less against rings that are beside it. Will a 3 row band fit under your E-ring? And how wide are you thinking for a W-band (and how wide is your E-ring?) If you try on different bands I would love to see some pictures!!
30.gif
Please! And what made you decide against the milgrain, or was it even a consideration? I'm completely torn 50:50 to have and not to have milgrain around the pave. ...Sorry for all the questions...
19.gif

Thank you blingergrrrl!! I thought the same thing about the knife edge not rubbing against the WB the way a 3-sided pave would. I still assume that's true after reading about problems people have had with 3S pave and how mine doesn't have diamonds facing a potential WB. However, that might not stop me from getting a 3S pave band
1.gif
Yes, a 3s or 3 row pave fits nicely against my E-ring. Really what seems to make bands look "right" with the e-ring when I try on is when the band is not too huge in size (i.e. 4.75) and a similar profile depth. A wider band seems fine, but I wouldn't go narrower, because I want to be able to wear the WB alone and it not be so teensy. Actually, my design specified a 2.5 mm width band WITH milgrain. I rushed my jeweler to get it to me by Christmas, so we didn't even have time to iterate through the final product over email. I figured if I didn't like something, I'd send it back. Ultimately, the band turned out to be 2 mm w/o milgrain. I wanted the milgrain originally to achieve a more delicate look, but my shank is so delicate (e.g. the knife edge metal strip facing up is very thin) that it totally doesn't need it. I prefer the ring the way it turned out. My specifications were simply my best guesses at what would look best, but I trusted the jeweler to come up with appropriate proportions and details as well. I think the missing milgrain was an oversight, which the jeweler would have corrected if I wanted, but like I said...perfect the way it is. I was inspired by this Danhov ring for the knife edge, which DOES have the milgrain around the pave.

I will take my camera the next time I go out WB shopping. I hope it's soon
1.gif
I too would love to see MustangGal's set.

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Sorry...not so good with my html. My reply got all boxed in
1.gif
I tried to edit it, but even when the preview looks right, it just reverts back.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
These are the only pictures I have, I need to do a photo shoot...
HolidayParty06023.jpg

For perceptive, the diamond is a .94ct oval, and the e-ring is size 5.5, the w-band about a 5.75

The knife edge bands are actually more comfortable than I thought. My ering isn't a very sharp edge, the w-band a little more so, but they're fine on. The e-ring is just over 2.5mm wide at the top, and tapers to 2mm in the back. The w-band is 3mm all the way around, and 2mm tall. The diamonds go exactly half way around, and I was worried it would spin, but I haven't had any issues. What's nice abouit the knife edge w-band is the angle allows it to sit flush even though the prongs of the e-ring stick out a bit.

Edit, looks like it'll only do 1 pic at a time...

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 8:00:46 PM

Thank you blingergrrrl!! I thought the same thing about the knife edge not rubbing against the WB the way a 3-sided pave would. I still assume that''s true after reading about problems people have had with 3S pave and how mine doesn''t have diamonds facing a potential WB. However, that might not stop me from getting a 3S pave band
1.gif
Yes, a 3s or 3 row pave fits nicely against my E-ring. Really what seems to make bands look ''right'' with the e-ring when I try on is when the band is not too huge in size (i.e. 4.75) and a similar profile depth. A wider band seems fine, but I wouldn''t go narrower, because I want to be able to wear the WB alone and it not be so teensy. Actually, my design specified a 2.5 mm width band WITH milgrain. I rushed my jeweler to get it to me by Christmas, so we didn''t even have time to iterate through the final product over email. I figured if I didn''t like something, I''d send it back. Ultimately, the band turned out to be 2 mm w/o milgrain. I wanted the milgrain originally to achieve a more delicate look, but my shank is so delicate (e.g. the knife edge metal strip facing up is very thin) that it totally doesn''t need it. I prefer the ring the way it turned out. My specifications were simply my best guesses at what would look best, but I trusted the jeweler to come up with appropriate proportions and details as well. I think the missing milgrain was an oversight, which the jeweler would have corrected if I wanted, but like I said...perfect the way it is. I was inspired by this Danhov ring for the knife edge, which DOES have the milgrain around the pave.

I will take my camera the next time I go out WB shopping. I hope it''s soon
1.gif
I too would love to see MustangGal''s set.
Wow that is a tiny band! What size is your finger again? I was thinking of a width of around 3-3.5 and a W-band just a smidgen skinnier or the same. I do tend to like wider bands. And as for the milgrain, i was thinking that I could ask the jeweller to let me see the ring before they go ahead and put milgrain on it so I can decide then.

I really hope you go shopping for w-bands soon too!
emteeth.gif

I attached another photoshop pic that I hope is a little smaller than the first pic (oops) to demonstate the look I am going for...I used your ring again too
emembarrassed.gif
! I just really like the design of your ring and you really provided excellent pics of every angle.

And I can''t seem to stop checking this site every 5 minutes for MustangGal''s pics! :)

blingergrrl_concept_ring.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
MustangGal: It sounds perfect but the pic didn't work! ARGH!!

EDIT: Umm...nevermind, they're up now and GORGEOUS!
30.gif
30.gif
Thank you so much! It's so much better seeing real-life picture of what I had envisioned. And we are about the same ring size too (5.25 to a 5.5). What is the colour of the diamonds in your band? (I believe your oval is an F, correct?). It's so pretty!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 2:34:57 PM
This is funny, because that''s my ering in the mock-up, and I''m trying to find a WB. I''m not sure I want a matching knife edge pave WB (which would be an obvious choice), so I was thinking of a plain band. However, now I REALLY kind of think a plain ER shank and a pave WB would have been perfect!! So, I think your idea is brilliant. Knife edge pave doesn''t seem all that popular on PS, except for the couple Danhov rings. However, for me it was a perfect choice to get micropave in the band thickness I wanted. I specified a very flat knife edge, so it''s definitely comfortable, just as much as a rounded band I think. However, if you got a plain E-ring shank, you''d probably want it sharper than mine to give it that knife-edge look. I like a rounded shank, so I''m leaning towards a rounded 3 sided or 3 row pave 3/4 eternity band. But my mind changes like the weather
1.gif
the plain solitaire with the pave wedding band is pretty common.... I kinda like the idea of the pave engagement ring and the plain wedding band... but of course I have a reputation for loving plain wedding bands hahaha - I do think two plain knife edge bands would really be awesome!! When diamonds hang over pave w-bands sometimes they don''t popas well as when they hang over plain w-bands.

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 9:34:23 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

the plain solitaire with the pave wedding band is pretty common.... I kinda like the idea of the pave engagement ring and the plain wedding band... but of course I have a reputation for loving plain wedding bands hahaha - I do think two plain knife edge bands would really be awesome!! When diamonds hang over pave w-bands sometimes they don''t popas well as when they hang over plain w-bands.

Oooh...good idea Cehrabehra. I''ll have to try that on. But if I were to not wear the e-ring, would I just wear one plain band or both?

MustangGal...your set is gorgeous!!

blingergrrrl: My ring size is about 4.75. However, I had my ring made a size 5 just in case. Sometimes I wish I had a more heavy, substantial look. I think I''ll go with 3 mm for my WB (if I get just one), but not sure. Good idea about seeing the ring first and then deciding on the milgrain.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
**bump** for pics! :)

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Sorry blingergrrrl, I just saw your other questions! The oval was appraised as an F, but I''m beginning to think he was a little color blind. I have a .44ct round diamond that has an EGL-USA card that says it''s an F, and it looks way whiter than the oval. Shane Co. doen''t have the color of the pave diamonds listed, but I figure they''re G/H or so, they look very white. I really like the 3mm width of the pave band, it''s perfect paired with the e-ring, and can also stand on it''s own when I don''t want to wear the extra bling. My last w-band was only 2mm, and it was just to tiny looking on its own.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 2/7/2007 3:33:56 PM
Author: MustangGal
Sorry blingergrrrl, I just saw your other questions! The oval was appraised as an F, but I''m beginning to think he was a little color blind. I have a .44ct round diamond that has an EGL-USA card that says it''s an F, and it looks way whiter than the oval. Shane Co. doen''t have the color of the pave diamonds listed, but I figure they''re G/H or so, they look very white. I really like the 3mm width of the pave band, it''s perfect paired with the e-ring, and can also stand on it''s own when I don''t want to wear the extra bling. My last w-band was only 2mm, and it was just to tiny looking on its own.

Hmm, yeah I was thinking of 3mm for both rings. Now seeing your I think I will go with 3mm too! I do tend to like wider rings, I have one that''s 10 mm that''s got a pave-look to it (it''s a bunch of tiny cz''s that are flush set in it) - attached a scan of it. I ALWAYS get compliments on it, it sparkles like crazy. And lately people keep gasping and grabbing my hand thinking it''s an E-ring...lol, I don''t even wear it on the left hand!

Also, the appraser may not of been colorblind, I think fancy cuts show color more than rounds, as well as the bigger the stone, the more you see color. I think that''s correct? I am thinking of going as low as an H for my stone, but I don''t know. Did you see the thread on J''s in platinum? Some had a little too much warmth for my personal preference but only a "little" so I figure an H would be okay. I''ve tried on a few H''s in person but they were in stores under fancy lights. And mine would be better cut too.
9.gif

scan_10mm_ring.jpg

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
I stopped by a random jeweler in a strip mall today. I was actually intrigued and am seriously considering having them make me a WB. Nothing in the store was great, but they said they could make anything, and I believe it! I tried on a few to get ideas for different looks. I apologize in advance for my dry hands...I HATE it when the camera focuses on the lines on my hands instead of my center stone
29.gif

First pic is the attempt at what two plain bands would look like. They didn''t have ANY knife edge bands, but these are almost plain...kind of etoile style.

IMG_4250_ps.JPG

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Here''s sort of an eternity style...the idea is to see a band that''s thicker than mine. The jeweler warned me that the diamonds are low quality:

IMG_4261_ps.JPG

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Here''s one more eternity type where the band is about the same width as mine. I had to do black and white because my hands looked like raw meat:

IMG_4255_bw.jpg

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
So...here's something of value I came away with. The jeweler suggested making two eternity type bands with a single row of diamonds the same size as those on my ering. This would make the bands very thin, like 1.5 mm wide or so, because my pave diamonds are like 3/4 - 1 pt. But when worn together w/o the ering, they would be of nice width (~ 3 mm), and I think would look better than 2 plain bands together w/o the ering (although I still REALLY like the idea of two plain bands surrounding my ering). I like the idea of symmetry and matching, but doing something a bit different, where the band doesn't really match exactly with the ering as well some variation in widths.

Isn't it funny how we go to such lengths to make our ering shanks a perfect specific width and then go and kind of totally change the look with WBs.

I hope this doesn't appear to be complete and total threadjack
6.gif
I was under the impression that blingergrrrl really wanted me to post pics
1.gif

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 10:36:37 PM
So...here's something of value I came away with. The jeweler suggested making two eternity type bands with a single row of diamonds the same size as those on my ering. This would make the bands very thin, like 1.5 mm wide or so, because my pave diamonds are like 3/4 - 1 pt. But when worn together w/o the ering, they would be of nice width (~ 3 mm), and I think would look better than 2 plain bands together w/o the ering (although I still REALLY like the idea of two plain bands surrounding my ering). I like the idea of symmetry and matching, but doing something a bit different, where the band doesn't really match exactly with the ering as well some variation in widths.

Isn't it funny how we go to such lengths to make our ering shanks a perfect specific width and then go and kind of totally change the look with WBs.

I hope this doesn't appear to be complete and total threadjack
6.gif
I was under the impression that blingergrrrl really wanted me to post pics
1.gif
Totally NOT a threadjack!
1.gif
The pics are great! I think I really like the idea of the 2 very thin bands with your ring. The wider ones didn't look quite right to me (IMHumbleO), and the same width one was alright (again, IMHumbleO). I think that the having two plain bands will kinda "frame" the E-ring letting it take center stage (as it rightly deserves!). I also think two thin diamond bands would be nice, but I wonder if the angle of them (being flat) will compete with the knife edge pave making the overall appearance too busy?

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 6:52:10 PM
Author: blingergrrrl

Totally NOT a threadjack!
1.gif
The pics are great! I think I really like the idea of the 2 very thin bands with your ring. The wider ones didn''t look quite right to me (IMHumbleO), and the same width one was alright (again, IMHumbleO). I think that the having two plain bands will kinda ''frame'' the E-ring letting it take center stage (as it rightly deserves!). I also think two thin diamond bands would be nice, but I wonder if the angle of them (being flat) will compete with the knife edge pave making the overall appearance too busy?

Thanks blingergrrrl. I do like the look of the two plain bands. However, I don''t really like anything with my ering. I think it looks best by itself
1.gif
I never insisted (and still feel the same) on an ering that would make a WB sit flush, so that may be part of my issue. The search will go on.

You''ve got the right idea going with a plain ering shank and a pave band. I found one belonging to Brocksgirl24, but not knife edge. Knife edge is soooo hard to find on PS.

dianawedset_plaineringpavewb.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 10:31:09 PM
Here''s sort of an eternity style...the idea is to see a band that''s thicker than mine. The jeweler warned me that the diamonds are low quality:
I was just thinking...they probably warned you cuz they knew it would look awful next to your obviously high-quality ring. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results