shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for modest but high quality diamond for solitaire ER

Gadaph

Rough_Rock
I had a good look around Brisbane yesterday, and saw a pretty good range of stones already set in rings, but no loose diamonds.

The thing that surprised me most was a couple of SI1 stones which I saw. One looked completely clear to me with the naked eye, the second one didn't. It wasn't really that I could see anything specific, just that the stone looked sllghtly different in the area where the inclusion was, before I looked with an eye glass. Through an eye glass, it was obviously visible. I'm not sure whether I was seeing distortion from the inclusion or a variation in cut though.They both looked good from a distance.

Colour wise, I couldn't really tell the difference between F & G.

I haven't yet found anything exactly within budget, but am quite taken with these two stones:

I had a quick look at the Good Old Gold upgrade policy, and it just seems to involve buying a stone of equal or greater value, with no mention of quality, so some leeway there for the future.

They're both slightly over budget, but I think that I could probably make them work.

Reactions: AV_

Gadaph

Rough_Rock
Possibly. You might give Bryan a call @ WF to see what they may have coming available.
Earlier when I looked I didn't see any PS or ES stones, but the stock changes frequently. They get extremely busy around Christmas and stock depletes so I expect it to rebound soon.

What is your time frame? And if you wait 1-2 months could your budget also grow while you are waiting and could theoretically save a few more bucks?

I disappear overseas again on 1st Feb, so I've pretty much got a month, unless I postpone until I return. Most of our funds are going towards saving a house deposit, so funds are really a question of robbing Peter to pay Paul almost.

I guess I could postpone, but she's already been incredibly patient with me already!

I figure that if I can have the diamond at least before I go, then she can ponder how she would like it set whilst I'm away, and that can then be the next project!

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Must you propose with a diamond ring? [not my tradition, so I take it lightly]

I agree about SI.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you know WF offers a Flex Plan?

"Purchases of jewelry or in-house diamonds where the total is over $1,500 are eligible for the Whiteflash Flex Plan. The order may be placed with a 20% down payment and three equal payments of the balance scheduled at 30 day intervals."

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/faq/

WF Flex Plan.jpg

I've purchased from WF more than once using their Flex Plan; it was easy and straight-forward. I purchased a WF ACA diamond just under $2,000 using the Flex Plan, and then once that diamond was paid for, I ordered the WF Heavy Bezel ring setting (via the Flex Plan) for that diamond... easy peasy and I was able to lock in the diamond I wanted and have a little bit of time to pay for it.

To utilize the Flex Plan you'd have to meet the $1,500 total purchase threshold. So you could either raise your diamond budget to $1500, or else stick with $1,000 for the diamond and add in one of WF's Classic Solitaire settings - you could propose with a complete ring and if your GF wants to change the setting she'd still be able to wear the ring while she decides on a new setting...

Gadaph

Rough_Rock
Must you propose with a diamond ring? [not my tradition, so I take it lightly]

I agree about SI.

I think that is the expectation, yes.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Back again, just a suggestion because I’m the ebay guru. These are pre loved rings but it’s just the diamonds Im looking at, you reset them into a brand new ring. On eBay Australia from a seller Ive Bought from. F8279F63-18E7-459D-B342-557288C49A7B.jpeg 384BF6F4-6CAE-4BFB-A130-716BC4D0FE17.jpeg
no 1. This is a very nice diamond but it’s wee at .30 carats but at $588 it is a great buy.
no 2. This is over budget but it’s .54 centre diamond and I see those baguettes being added into the band of a new ring. $2.000.
both diamond are G and VS1.
I think many here would agree that Bron357 is the Queen of eBay jewellery shoppers, not just for Australia but for the entire known world!!! The fantastic bargains she has found on Ebay would knock your socks off.

A young man on a budget, and with a limited time frame would do well to give close consideration to her suggestions. Just remember that diamonds last for ever, a quick polish will make a 100 year old diamond look just as good as one mined a month ago, and it will likely cost a whole lot less!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And back yet again.
i don’t think I’m alone in this “thought” but when a lass gets engaged, she does like to have a ring on her finger, even if it’s just a temporary setting. A loose diamond in a gem jar is nice but........

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And finally, found this with Ivy & Rose (US) $1,195.
now, this is a cluster setting but I think it’s the best execution I’ve seen in a long time. And look at that gallery! This is sparkle packed and sparkle plus. 14AEC2B9-A976-47E3-90DE-DABBF7BC215F.jpeg EB9A3B88-5B03-4C58-985C-B3E15B974056.jpeg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a quick look at the Good Old Gold upgrade policy, and it just seems to involve buying a stone of equal or greater value, with no mention of quality, so some leeway there for the future.

The GoG stone has good proportions and advanced images. I'm guessing you prefer because of the bump in color & clarity?

Their policy isn't as easy as WF's. Also, the thing that you need to explore and confirm for yourself is the AVAILABLE amount of inventory that is available for upgrade. WF actually stocks a pretty large inventory so when upgrading you always have lots of options. Some vendors have smaller inventories and consequently the upgrade program doesn't allow as much free movement.

FYI, here is a screen cap of GoG's polices:

CaptureGoG.PNG

I disappear overseas again on 1st Feb, so I've pretty much got a month, unless I postpone until I return. Most of our funds are going towards saving a house deposit, so funds are really a question of robbing Peter to pay Paul almost.

I guess I could postpone, but she's already been incredibly patient with me already!

I figure that if I can have the diamond at least before I go, then she can ponder how she would like it set whilst I'm away, and that can then be the next project!

Just my 2 cents -- I'd pull the trigger on the WF ACA 0.425 F SI1 stone and call it a day. It sounds like you are both ready to be engaged. Sometimes the best decision we can make is to move forward.

Couple it with this simple, but nice 6 prong Ritani setting. Cost is very reasonable at $240. Also with the knife edge, width is 1.6mm which is thin and will make the stone look more substantial.

If you think your girl may seriously want a different setting, then I'd talk with WF about the matter. I bought my wife's stone from BGD and did a custom setting elsewhere. They offered to give me a solitaire setting to propose with and then bring my (now) wife into the design process, rather than try to do it blindly without her input. What that meant for me was they charged me the fee for the solitaire upfront, but then got refunded when the custom setting was done and I returned the solitaire. Of course, that would have been way too easy and I prefer to do things the hard way, so I chose to do the custom design on my own and then propose with the finished custom piece.

I'm not sure if WF will do something similar, but they might.

Even if they don't, remember WF has a designer engagement ring trade-up policy. The Ritani brand is included that I linked above. While everyone gets all gaga over the 100% trade up policy of the diamond, this little perk allows you to get 50% on a designer setting towards a new one, so in this case you'd be out $120 for a temp setting if she decided she wanted something else. That's hard to beat.

CaptureWFDesigner.PNG

Gadaph

Rough_Rock
The GoG stone has good proportions and advanced images. I'm guessing you prefer because of the bump in color & clarity?

Their policy isn't as easy as WF's. Also, the thing that you need to explore and confirm for yourself is the AVAILABLE amount of inventory that is available for upgrade. WF actually stocks a pretty large inventory so when upgrading you always have lots of options. Some vendors have smaller inventories and consequently the upgrade program doesn't allow as much free movement.

FYI, here is a screen cap of GoG's polices:

CaptureGoG.PNG

Just my 2 cents -- I'd pull the trigger on the WF ACA 0.425 F SI1 stone and call it a day. It sounds like you are both ready to be engaged. Sometimes the best decision we can make is to move forward.

Couple it with this simple, but nice 6 prong Ritani setting. Cost is very reasonable at $240. Also with the knife edge, width is 1.6mm which is thin and will make the stone look more substantial.

If you think your girl may seriously want a different setting, then I'd talk with WF about the matter. I bought my wife's stone from BGD and did a custom setting elsewhere. They offered to give me a solitaire setting to propose with and then bring my (now) wife into the design process, rather than try to do it blindly without her input. What that meant for me was they charged me the fee for the solitaire upfront, but then got refunded when the custom setting was done and I returned the solitaire. Of course, that would have been way too easy and I prefer to do things the hard way, so I chose to do the custom design on my own and then propose with the finished custom piece.

I'm not sure if WF will do something similar, but they might.

Even if they don't, remember WF has a designer engagement ring trade-up policy. The Ritani brand is included that I linked above. While everyone gets all gaga over the 100% trade up policy of the diamond, this little perk allows you to get 50% on a designer setting towards a new one, so in this case you'd be out $120 for a temp setting if she decided she wanted something else. That's hard to beat.

CaptureWFDesigner.PNG

You've actually just perfectly summarised the conclusion I reached on my own this afternoon.

I had a look at the rings on Ebay, but couldn't figure out a way to assess cut etc, so, whilst they were great bargains, i came to the conclusion that new was the way to go.

The GOG stone looked great, but they seem to have a lot less stock, and I couldn't find as many mentions of the store as Whiteflash.

I had a chat with Whiteflash online and they took me through the diamond and assured me that it was eye clean, and it was the standout candidate in my mind.

It's on order in a knife setting.

Fingers crossed.....

Thanks for validating my action though, and thanks to everyone who lent me their expertise. I really appreciate the guidance.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've actually just perfectly summarised the conclusion I reached on my own this afternoon.

I had a look at the rings on Ebay, but couldn't figure out a way to assess cut etc, so, whilst they were great bargains, i came to the conclusion that new was the way to go.

The GOG stone looked great, but they seem to have a lot less stock, and I couldn't find as many mentions of the store as Whiteflash.

I had a chat with Whiteflash online and they took me through the diamond and assured me that it was eye clean, and it was the standout candidate in my mind.

It's on order in a knife setting.

Fingers crossed.....

Thanks for validating my action though, and thanks to everyone who lent me their expertise. I really appreciate the guidance.

Great choice, good luck with the ring and proposal! Don’t forget to come back and let us know how it goes. Handshots will also be welcomed!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Great choices, she will love it!

By the way, Ritani sell a knife edge wedding band to match your setting. It is already reasonably priced but they also frequently have 30% off coupons for their site.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on making the selection!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect choice!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so very happy for you @Gadaph!!!

There are so many choices and it can sometimes be tough to cross the finish line. Congrats on getting it done and making top notch choices.

I truly think the best part in this case is you get a gorgeous stone now so you can get engaged and you have a built in program for the future as you guys and your finances grow.

Congratulations! Be sure to post some pics of the finished ring.

Gadaph

Rough_Rock
I'm so very happy for you @Gadaph!!!

There are so many choices and it can sometimes be tough to cross the finish line. Congrats on getting it done and making top notch choices.

I truly think the best part in this case is you get a gorgeous stone now so you can get engaged and you have a built in program for the future as you guys and your finances grow.

Congratulations! Be sure to post some pics of the finished ring.

Thanks again.

I'll post some photos when it arrives!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a confusing comment. First of all, the stone that was purchased wasn't just a random GIA XXX (which are often terrible). Second of all, I highly doubt you could find stones of the same quality for less. Third, the stone has been purchased, so this is just rude.

Thanks for posting and reminding me about this. I saw last night and was going to report. Looks like a spam account created for the purpose of selling stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting and reminding me about this. I saw last night and was going to report. Looks like a spam account created for the purpose of selling stones.

already reported a different post where he or she is obviously trying to solicit business and hasn't registered as trade.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
already reported a different post where he or she is obviously trying to solicit business and hasn't registered as trade.

I just reported this as well, so 2 strikes. We'll see what happens.

Too bad we can't introduce him to the spoon game, lol....

Gadaph

Rough_Rock
This is a confusing comment. First of all, the stone that was purchased wasn't just a random GIA XXX (which are often terrible). Second of all, I highly doubt you could find stones of the same quality for less. Third, the stone has been purchased, so this is just rude.

No harm done.

I'm still excited and very confident with my decision making process.

Now I'm just awaiting arrival of the ring. Whiteflash sent me some photos, and to me it looks amazing. Modest, but amazing.

Am I allowed to post the Whiteflash photos here?

I'll take some more when it actually arrives, obviously.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
oh how exciting! I believe you just need to remove the WF watermark before you post the photos :) Can't wait to see the ring :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh how exciting! I believe you just need to remove the WF watermark before you post the photos :) Can't wait to see the ring :)

I copy and paste loads of their photos for reference all the time, including the logos. I've not been busted for it.

I'd say upload as-is and let the diamond **** begin, lol.

Gadaph

Rough_Rock
Uploaded and awaiting moderator approval.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uploaded and awaiting moderator approval.

Huh? Why's it waiting mod approval? I can take and attach files on the fly -- no waiting required.

Simply click on "Attach files" in lower left corner of the text box when you respond. See screen capture with red circle.

CaptureAttach.PNG

Gadaph

Rough_Rock
Huh? Why's it waiting mod approval? I can take and attach files on the fly -- no waiting required.

Simply click on "Attach files" in lower left corner of the text box when you respond. See screen capture with red circle.

CaptureAttach.PNG

I'm not sure TBH. That's how I uploaded them.

Now it says "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors."

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a Whiteflash logo on my avatar at one point which was removed by admin as it broke the rules. I often see logos elsewhere, maybe it’s ok within a thread?

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t wait to see this beauty!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanna see!!!!!!! :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a Whiteflash logo on my avatar at one point which was removed by admin as it broke the rules. I often see logos elsewhere, maybe it’s ok within a thread?

Im not sure you meant to use the word, but I would guess an AVATAR would likely be scrutinized.

As you know, Trade members have different rules. Having any company logo on an avatar may lead others to assume you work for that entity. In short, Trade cannot upsell their products or bash other products, hence you don't see them recommend or comment about which stone to buy. They can comment on technical aspects, etc.

While at times I find it frustrating you can't just have a straight conversation with a vendor (on here anyways, you can always call obviously), I think overall it's good and keeps opinions and suggestions user based vs vendor based.

That said, I think @Gadaph was trying to post pics of the stone he bought. And I don't think the logos matter in that situation. But perhaps I am wrong.

Also it's possible as a new user, there are restrictions on posting images, etc. Many forums implement such controls.

Can you clarify @psadmin?

Gadaph

Rough_Rock
Bizarrely still awaiting Mod approval.

It's going to be quicker to wait for the ring itself I think!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results