shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for jewelry / gem courses

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the GIA run an external version of its GG course? In fact - is it even them who run it? I've been thinking about doing this for a while now but I'm not entirely sure where to go. If anyone can help me on this, that would be great.

Perhaps even more to the point, anyone with any ideas on where I could do a jewelry making course? I want something to teach me the basics - not so I can make jewelry, but so I can design jewelry with enough knowledge to be able to figure out what's possible and what isn't. I don't want to do something as specific as a fine arts degree - just a generalized overview - preferably run externally.

I'm in MA, if geographical position makes a difference. All info appreciated!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:cheeky:We should do a group course!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a few people here have taken the distance courses! I do think that would be fun!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, do it. I start mine in 2 weeks (here in Australia). It’s 2 years. 1 x 3 hour practical every week plus home study for the theory. I’ll be a qualified gemologist at the end (I’ll have assignments and examinations as well - ooooo bit scary, it was sooooo long ago that I did exams or assignments).
Ideally, I’d also love to learn to make jewellery, but that’s a skill that takes years to learn and so much of the equipment you need is very expensive.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know @mochiko42 has taken some!

Thanks for the tag, @Hayley87 :) I recently completed the GIA Applied Jewelry Professional diploma which consisted of 3 online courses (Diamond Essentials, Colored Stones Essentials, and Jewelry Essentials). I completed all 3 within 3 months of self-study; I think if you spend a decent amount of time on PS (RT and CS forums in particular) you should already know much of the material covered. These 3 courses also count towards the more comprehensive (and expensive!) Graduate Gemologist degree; according to a GIA rep I contacted, the credit for these 3 courses do not expire, so if I decide I want to go back and continue with a GG course later, I can do so. I found the 3 courses for the AJP diploma a good way to dip my toes in the water so to speak, and were relatively light in terms of cost and time commitment. The other courses required for the GG involve a higher level of commitment of time (lab courses, on campus classes, proctored exams etc) and money.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took the AJP courses as well - pretty simple if you've spent time here!

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 which course are you doing? The AGS one? I am in Melbourne and have thought of doing it.

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
GIA Applied Jewelry Professional diploma which consisted of 3 online courses (Diamond Essentials, Colored Stones Essentials, and Jewelry Essentials)

@mochiko42 can the diploma mentioned above be done without lab work or on campus classes?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 which course are you doing? The AGS one? I am in Melbourne and have thought of doing it.
Yes, they do classes in most states. I think Vic is their “home” state! This years course started just last week, if you’re keen, call them. Maybe you can still start this year.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Once you get through with any coursework,

there are always the gemmology journals of major labs & a few more ...

More interesting.

Last edited:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mochiko42 can the diploma mentioned above be done without lab work or on campus classes?

Sorry for the late reply! Been off PS for a little while. Yes, the AJP can be done completely online. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results