shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RPF

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I''ve been reading this site now for about a week and have decided to finally create a post. I have just recently bought the most beautiful ring for the most beautiful of persons and I wish to propose to her this weekend, however, I''m struggling with ideas. I''m hopeful that someone might have something they can share.

My girlfriend and I have been dating for a little over 3 years and we have talked about marriage extensively. She knows the engagement is coming and she probably knows that I already have a ring, but I''d still like to be able to surprise her.

She is not interested in any sort of high excitement type engagements, so scratch skydiving/hot air ballons/sporting events or anything else of the sort and I also know that she is not interested in getting engaged in a restaurant. I had read about the picnic idea which I kind-of liked, however, I am planning on proposing this weekend and the weather forecast isn''t looking so good. It''s supposed to be cold, which would eliminate almost everything outside.

I need some ideas. People have said I should try to incorporate the proposal into something that we like to do together, but most things that we enjoy are things that are done outside and during warmer times of the year. We enjoy camping, hiking, tubing, shopping and visiting the expo''s / festivals when they come to town. We also really enjoy traveling but I''m not sure that we really have the money to go anywhere (plus we have bunches O cats that are a pain to have looked after).

I need something. Anyone have any ideas they can share? I would love for this to be a very special and memorable experience but I lack the creativity that is needed to come up with something memorable.

Any help?

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Hi RFP,

How about doing an indoor, "carpet" picnic. Ie food by the fireplace (if you have one). Otherwise, just tell her you want to stay in and play board games, watch a movie, or w/e you all do together at home, and then set something romantic up for her when she comes home. Or, a couple people have mentioned throwing the proposal into the board game/scrabble board.

Otherwise, what about driving to a place with a nice view or rest area (your location dependant) and ask her there?

I hope that gives you some ideas... and GOOD LUCK whatever you do!

RPF

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

My plans have just been shot to sh|t even further.
I emailed her dad a little while ago and setup plans to go have lunch with him later this week.
My girlfriend and I carpool to work together and I've already *lied* to her and told her we had a department lunch on Thursday and I would not be able to ride (the day I setup to meet her dad for lunch).

Well.... She just IM'd me and said "I've been emailing my dad and he says you are going to take him to lunch on Thursday"

DOH!

Ok well so much for even trying to do ANY sort of a surprise.

Wow.. Talk about excitement kill.

:(

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
Aww, RPF!

I''m sorry you''re sad about this, but really sweetie, this is exactly the type of thing that you and your lovely bride-to-be will enjoy a good laugh over in the future!

(I''m having a hard time containing the giggles finding out that her Dad, of all people, inadvertantly spilled the beans! God bless all the naive fathers of the world! And they say women can''t keep a *secret*
9.gif
)

You''re a good guy for worrying about making the proposal "special" for your lady.
No matter what you do, it will be...promise *wink*

~Allyson

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
The best way to make it a surprise now would be to postpone it for a few days and not do it this weekend, because that''s what she will expect. Call her on Monday and say you have to work late. When she walks into the house, everything will be dark and quiet (giving the impression that nodody''s home). Then when she walks into the bedroom... SURPRISE! Roses, petals, candles and a proposal.
Another sweet idea my friend used is to invite her over for a nice homecooked dinner, with roses and music and candlelight... but no proposal. She was really upset because she expected one and she knew it wasn''t going to happen when he said he was tired and they should go to bed. She got into bed and he turned off the lights, and right above her he had written "will you marry me?" in glow in the dark paint on the ceiling.
I thought that was such a cute surprise.

Sunset_in_Cali

Rough_Rock
Hi RPF,

Does the proposal have to be this weekend? How's the weather forecast for next weekend? Keep your options open, don't limit yourself to an indoor only proposal if you'd rather do an outdoor one.

Having said that, here's some ideas off the top of my head for an at-home proposal.

If you have a camcorder, you could record a sweet message for her. When she comes home, have the TV set up so it's the first thing she sees, and have it start playing your recording. When the recording is over, reveal yourself, all dressed up with the ring, and propose.

Have a flower arrangement delivered to your home, while both of you are at home. Pretend you don't know who the flowers are from, and tell her to read the card to find out. While she reads the card, stand behind her. The last line of the card should say "Turn around". When she turns around, you will be ready with the ring, and propose.

Sorry if these are silly, I literally just made them up. Keep us updated! Let us know what you decide on!

RPF

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response. There are some good ideas listed.

No, I don''t have to propose this weekend, but, I''ve had this ring now for at least a month and I''ve been waiting for her to get a break at work (she is in the tax business) and she gets a 4 day weekend after today. So I had planned on it being during that time so that she would have time to go show off her ring to her friends before having to go back to work.

I guess I could postpone. All the other plans have already been shot anyway, i.e., surprise & weather.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
What about waking her up with a proposal? I don''t know how heavily she sleeps, but breakfast in bed with a ring box on the tray would be super-cute.

Or how about an indoor "treasure" hunt with clues all around your home?

I wouldn''t worry too much about losing the element of surprise - she will be so thrilled that if its not a complete surprise I really don''t think it will take away from how special it is
1.gif

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After what happened with her dad, I would postpone it for at least another week. This way it builds up more excitement again. Have you thought about making her dinner or just having an intimate dinner planned together at home?

What is her favorite movie? If it involves a wedding scene or proposal, you could always work your proposal into watching the movie together. A treasure hunt is cute too, but may be a little obvious now.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew someone who tied it around the girl's toothbrush and waited for her to find it. She was very surprised, lol. It wasn't the most romantic thing per se, but I thought it was incredibly cute to make such a mundane, everyday thing so exciting.

If she's working a lot, you could also surprise her at work. You can wrap the ring up really securely in a mundane looking USPS packaging, and leave it at her desk and hide so that she thinks it's tax documents or something. And pop out the corner with some flowers and champagne when she realizes it's a ring, lol. Then she can show it off to all her work friends and be the talk of the office for having such a sweet boyfriend. :razz: (This is assuming she'd be the type to like all that attention)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results